APL Restaurant

I thought that there were 2 posters in this thread who thought the food was pretty good? I’m too lazy to scroll through to check…

2:2 then

For a restaurant of this caliber I would hope for 10+ positive reviews before a Chowseeker takedown.

3 Likes

Hahahaha! Just ordinary steak knives for us. I assumed it was because we didn’t order the short rib, but perhaps we just weren’t baller enough.

I was morbidly curious. Interestingly, despite lacking tomatoes and being repriced accordingly, the onions are still listed on the menu as “Ode to Peter Luger.”

I ate here the other day.

Wedge salad: Big portion, ample blue cheese chunks and good dressing to lettuce ratio (i.e., I wasn’t left with undressed lettuce at the end). Bacon on it was really good too.

Prime-rib: Huge portion cooked to a perfect medium rare. There was a good amount of fat on / around it but I personally enjoy that provided it’s soft and not chewy. Also some gristle that needs to be worked around but I think that’s par for the course for a massive bone-in ribeye. Gwen serves their rib-eyes already sliced which obviates this issue. But there’s something to be said for being presented with a hulking slab of meat warts and all.

Overall I enjoyed the meal and would go back if I’m looking for a classic steak house experience.

5 Likes

Ode onions now only 2 bucks

yelp

6 Likes

Consider yourself a martyr for the cause

4 Likes

I’d request a refund…

1 Like

Still calling it Peter Lugers.
What a dumb ode - even if the name was correct.

Without the tomatoes and PL sauce its an ode to:
– an onion field
– The Onion
– a kind of pizza
– something that is like - but isn’t - a shallot.

I don’t get it.

3 Likes

As part of my recent omakase, Shunji served me a sublime sweet onion in dashi braised with hamo (pike conger), garnished with baby ginger. An ode, not to any person or place, but rather to early summer…

9 Likes

back up to 5 bucks

http://www.kevineats.com/2018/06/apl-restaurant-los-angeles-ca.html

Based off that review, there are too many “odes to Peter Luger”

We should chart it like stock prices.

6 Likes

Where does he get this intel?
"His parents divorced when he was 13, and mom ended up getting re-married to allergist Paul Lang. Lang served as a worthy stepfather, and as a result, the young Chef added his surname to his own. "

Funny post from a KE commenter:
“Anonymous Anonymous said…
I don’t know if 135 dollars for a cold steak or five bucks for three slices of onion is funnier”

4 Likes

I thought the photo of the burrata and stone fruit was a bit off-putting, too. A small dollop of burrata with 5 tiny slivers of fruit for $16? But I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised considering they want you to pay $5 for 3 slices of raw onions.

2 Likes

You gotta be real good at reading between the lines.

2 Likes

My thoughts as well - ridiculous.

1 Like

I think I would order the Caesar salad and the Tuxedo Mask and be perfectly happy.

I think I hate this restaurant

6 Likes