APL Restaurant

Ahhh… maybe that’s why the monks don’t mess with it. Tryin’ to damp down the urges.

2 Likes

Have any of you ever had your experience at a high end steakhouse, or any high end restaurant, compromised by the quality of silverware? I’ve not that I can recall, but I am genuinely curious.

As far as whether it’s worth the trouble with these dumb knives…here we are talking about them (granted, i’m the one talking about them at 11:15 on a Saturday night)

3 Likes

Seriously, you’ve got one of his swords??? They’re going for $50k+ these days… I should have got one when they were readily available at bladegallery

1 Like

Don’t feel bad. I just thought you boys were posting cool pictures of random dudes holding cool knives. I didn’t know this was a thing. How female of me.

2 Likes

He has chickens in his yard too. :smile:

1 Like

At Michael Jordan’s in Chicago (is that high end? not sure, but whatever let’s pretend for a moment if it’s not), the steak knife was so big I almost felt like I needed both hands to wield it.

Was it a quality silverware? Probably. But was it the appropriate one? Most definitely not.

Did it compromise the meal? It sure didn’t make it more enjoyable.

That’s a crack-up. They were probably designed to fit the big man’s hands.

I can’t recall the quality of silverware compromising my meal in recent memory (at a restaurant of any kind), but then again, I prefer to eat takeout Mexican food like carne asada fries with a plastic fork. Metal doesn’t feel right. For steak, basically the knife has to be good enough to cut the steak without a struggle.

On the other hand, there are many many restaurants in LA of all prices ranges that I feel have inadequate stemware for wine.

1 Like

Garlic is not traditionally used in Buddhist vegetarian cooking. Some strange ancient translation of a text about being “mood enhancing” or something

1 Like

In Korean temple cuisine, garlic is considered not conducive to the mindset for meditation.

1 Like

Neither is a charcoal-grilled dry-aged steak.

2 Likes
1 Like

Gotta keep the tourists fed.

There he goes again. From the article:

“And finally there is the Serious Barbecue Sandwich, a $50 behemoth filled with more than a pound of pit-cooked shaved New York strip, pickles, onions, and horseradish.”

$50 for a takeout sandwich? I don’t care if it’s a pound of beef, that’s a rip, and it doesn’t even look like anything special.

4 Likes

That’s a whopping 5 orders of tomato and onions!

13 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

To the extent that they’re working with GLAD (Greater Los Angeles Agency on Deafness) to employ those who are hard of hearing (as original press releases mentioned), I genuinely hope that this takeout window succeeds.

I do like a good chili dog. I wonder if I can get some chopped onions for free or if they will charge for them…

I believe the $50 takeout sandwich is a publicity stunt to generate discussion. I won’t hold that against them as it applies to the takeout window, since this $$ sandwich is an anomaly that was probably conceived to get a headline.

APL restaurant itself, however, is fair game for criticism due to the high prices they charge - in my opinion, it better be on fucking point. With the majority of the menu charging very high prices compared to what other steakhouses charge, and the fact that a great steak usually isn’t hard to make at home, again, APL Restaurant better be knocking out of the park not only with seriously good food but also great consistency.

3 Likes

Here’s the mental gymnastics required to buy it: if it’s as big as they say it’s basically a 2 person sandwich for $25/serving. When I go to Proof I have to buy 2 sandwiches and a pastry to be reasonably full (not stuffed) which comes out to $23.

So in that context it’s not awful, but having said that I agree with the cheap publicity angle.

Or you can get 2 Banh Mi Trung from Saigon Bakery for $7 and call it a day! :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah but that’s an impossible standard to be comparing sandwiches against.