APL Restaurant

That $50 sandwich is the same price as a Hayato Bento.

I think I know which one I want more.

5 Likes

Get your APL short ribs for only $143 now, 18% off from the opening menu price of $175. Reservations wide open.

“Ode to Peter Lugers” still $10.
Felony knife $950.10

2 Likes

Are they busy these days?

Judging from their wide open reservations on opentable, I would guess not.

It was indeed confusing when Wolfgang’s first opened. I thought it was pretty confident and big of Puck not to be upset. Well…

KP and I were part of the masses which hit CicLAvia this weekend and as a reward for hitting Hollywood we decided to stop by the APL Hole in the Wall because… Chili Dogs

I’m am unabashed Chili Fiend. This city has lots of really great Chili and lots of terrible insipid, greasy, rubbery chili. LOTS.

So I went in knowing the odds were very good that this was just going to be the cumin bomb that most Texas style chili is.

But we were pleasantly surprised on how on both dogs the chili’s were distinct but still very well balanced.

The green chili is what most LA folks would recognize as good Chili. Not too beefy or spicy.

The double beef was beefy. But not in that sorta musty tallow way. Just you knew you were eating beef chili. I loved it.

The buns were a little odd. Brioche but firm. The toppings were good but I would have liked the cheese a little more melty, but the cheddar does add something to the dog.

The chili’s were not thin and he dog thick but not terribly snappy. It all held together well as we ate on the curb. Definitely the most humble $20+ snack we’be had… it was really good but it just makes me miss Skoobys that much more…

We also bought the Matzoh Ball soup as I it’s one of my favorite things as well. We had that at home and were very pleased by the amount of chicken and the veg. Logs of Carrots, potatoes, parsnips that still had a bit of bite.

The broth was DEEP. Chicken essence and plenty of schmaltz. It was to chicken what tonkatsu is to pork.

The Matzoh Ball (we got one tennis ball sized one) was rough and loosely bound. You could make out the Matzoh meal and egg mixture. I have absolutely no credential to call it authentic or soulful or anything. But it was good.

If we lived nearby, I would for sure pick up that soup OFTEN.

image image

19 Likes

that soup looks great!

I don’t want to go off-topic. Maybe a thread? But I thought folks were complaining when Chili was DoTM on Chowhound. They were saying that there is no longer good spots in L.A. I :heart: Chili and would love to know the good spots.

P.S. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes
1 Like

That sounds absolutely horrible to me.
I did not like my one and only visit to APL.

1 Like

going in a couple of weeks to try the 300+ day dry aged steaks. Will let ya’ll know.

bring Zofran…mine was almost inedible…

2 Likes

anyone gunna try the burger? $18 almost sounds like a steal when you compare it to the onions.

2 Likes

How was it?

More intellectual than tasty. Really great smell, complex and nutty. Almost like a cognac. But the flavor and texture was like beef jerky

Ouch, ouch, ouch…

Fancy thick cut beef jerky? Lol. Wasn’t super dry. Just had a dry chew to it

I didn’t watch the video, but I think there is only one human being on this planet that thinks that knife is worth $950.01.

Maybe not even that many. It’s just a legality.

1 Like