Banned from Chowhound?

lol

shame on you.

Now go sit in the corner and think about what you’ve done, then come out and tell us all what you’ve learned when you think you can be a big kid.

Whatthefuckever.

Congratuations on your exile.

2 Likes

“change your behavior”??? Are you KIDDING??? That letter sounds like something out of Germany in 1940! Did they forget that Chow is a food website, not a dictatorship imposing a curfew? what a laff.

2 Likes

who knew the fucking site was being run by the fucking gestapo

I fucking new . I went to Chtlic skool . All signs pointed that way end the end . Dag , The nones wanted to change me to . Kicked out . Over and out .

my fuckin bad.

you asked about them street tacos earlier.

but in that area i’m probably not much help.

there are others that are more well-versed on the street taco scene. but a few that i like:

mexicali carne asada

yuca’s hut

taqueria el bajio

taco zone.

suadero

1 Like

I am certainly no prude when it comes to language, but I fail to see to need to add (to quote the Watergate transcripts) “expletives deleted” in every sentence . . . or two. OTOH, most of the people who have either been banned/suspended from CH, or had their posts deleted, have had those actions taken NOT from bashing others or for use of “foul language” but for making comments about CH and the changes there, about the mods (and how their sense of humor has been surgically removed as a job requirement), and – every once in a while – because a difference of opinion/disagreement between two posters seems to have disturbed the Mods’ Valium-induced “mellow buzz” . . . .

3 Likes

Please refrain from posting negative comments about other posters. This site is for sharing opinions about food, not about each other.

Robert - your actions speak volumes about how you really feel about this point. Nowhere did I ever post a negative comment about other posters. Deja vu all over again.

1 Like

You don’t see that “overrated” expresses your opinion about other people rather than your opinion about the restaurant?

1 Like

@robert

I don’t think overrated is any different from disappointing or from overhyped. In fact, disappointing can be very condescending when used in the wrong manner.

I think it is very unfair to ban JJ for disagreeing with you regarding the use.

Have you considered that the word does not hold the same connotation for others as it does for you?

This is no different from the moderation on CH and the reason why everyone left.

3 Likes

I banned Mr_JJ mostly because he made personal attacks on another user. Once somebody does that I figure they’re probably a lost cause.

@robert

The use of “overrated” when discussing restaurants, in and of itself, is not an attack on an individual. It can be, but it most certainly is not a given.

I can say, “Langer’s is overrated” without it being an attack on just about 90% of the posters on the LA board because the obvious connotation and annotation of my statement is simply an expression of my opinion. In other words, I think Langer’s is not as good as its reputation may be.

Conversely, if I say “Langer’s is overrated because @Porthos believes it serves the best pastrami” then we are treading on territory where the use of the word begins to seem like an attack on an individual poster, as opposed to the general reputation of the restaurant.

@Mr_JJ’s use of “overrated” in his post was obviously the latter, and not the former. In fact, everyone that has responded to that post has taken it to refer to the rating (either over or under) of a restaurant’s general reputation.

In a forum like this, where opinions are the heart and soul of its livelihood, there will inevitably be responses directed at individuals. But as long as those responses are aimed at an individual’s opinions, and not the individual qua poster, then there’s really no harm done.

I would kindly ask that you strongly reconsider your opinion on this issue @robert, as well as lifting the suspension of @Mr_JJ.

Because if we can’t have a discussion about a restaurant being “overrated” then I don’t know if there’s really anything to talk about here.

10 Likes

This.

If one cannot give their opinion on what they think is good or not good, then there’s no point in having a food discussion forum. The majority of posts made here will be based on opinion, the exception being posts such as “ABC Bar is opening in DTLA” or “Williams Sonoma now sells a bacon platter”. Food is primarily subjective and is based on one’s perceptions. There’s no way to say “this restaurant is excellent” or “skip the fish tacos, they’re greasy” without utilizing one’s subjective opinion.

1 Like

Well said. I totally agree 100%.

@robert, to clarify, I understand your concern and wanting to be careful we’re not making personal attacks on others. That’s commendable and fine.

But I think JJ’s thread about “overrated restaurants” was clearly about the general societal reputation of the restaurant, and not a personal attack on anyone in particular.

It’s as @ipsedixit said: If Mr_JJ said, “Name the restaurants that KEVIN loves that you think is overrated,” then that would be a personal attack and you’d have grounds to lock the thread.

I do like so much of what you’ve set up here - FTC is much more free-flowing than our old board - but in this particular case, I feel JJ’s thread was not a “personal attack” on anyone or any magazine / writer. It was just a general feeling / what’s over-hyped, etc.

Thanks.

4 Likes

“This restaurant is excellent” and “skip the fish tacos, they’re greasy” are expressions of the writer’s personal opinions about the restaurant and tacos.

“This restaurant is overrated” or “the fish tacos are overrated” doesn’t say anything about the restaurant or the tacos, only about what the writer thinks other people think about it. It has nothing to do with the writer’s experience of or opinions about the food. If you think other people are overly impressed by a place, keep that to yourself and just say what you don’t like about it.

What if “overrated” refers to professional reviews? The Michelin guide recently awarded a star to a Thai restaurant in Manhattan that I don’t think deserves one.

There’s no problem with saying “How did this shitty pizza get 28 out of 30 on Zagat and beat all the other places?” or “What kind of crazy math does Michael Bauer use to come up with 3.5 stars for a place he admits is hit or miss?”

So disparaging professional reviewers is fine? I must confess I don’t see the logic in that. It seems like you’re discouraging disagreement, not just disagreeableness.

2 Likes

Hi Robert,

I see what you’re saying. If someone only said “This restaurant is overrated” (The End), it can be seen as kinda empty / without much to say.

To be fair, I think if you combine that statement with more exposition about your personal experience of a restaurant, using the word “overrated” is fine. For example:

“I went to XYZ restaurant that got 3 Michelin Stars. The service was terrible, we didn’t get any refills, our order was messed up, and they overcooked the steak to well-done, and it was really greasy. This restaurant is overrated.

I think with some exposition, using “overrated” is OK.

I also think nowadays, some people just use “overrated” as a quick adjective to describe their feelings (that they were disappointed by poor service / food quality, etc.) compared to the general consensus / reputation. So instead of taking the time to type out WHY a place they might feel is overrated (because it was too greasy, salty, gross, bad service, etc.), they just use “overrated” as a quick adjective.

Is it ideal? No. I get what you’re saying, but I think we can just encourage people to expound a bit more about their feelings then. (And some people did post / follow up in that thread, disagreeing, or asking why they felt that way.)

Ideally they would explain the reasoning why, but if they didn’t, I don’t think it’s worth locking unless it spiraled out of hand in some way.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks!

1 Like