Bludso's La Brea > Bludso's Compton

Hmmmm!!! Thanks! Phillips is around the corner from Anaya and I’ve never heard a mention.

Sad that JNJ burgers and bbq closed. Loved their rib tips!

Sometimes we forget the classics.
Phillips is old-school LA. Read Jonathan Gold’s old review to set expectations before you go.

2 Likes

Going to Bludso’s tonight for a friend’s bday. Looking forward to it, still best BBQ pound for pound in LA imo.

Yup,my wife’s parents have been going there for years! Definitely an old LA Classic.

Can only vouch for the pork ribs. That’s all I get.

1 Like

Hot links are good too.

1 Like

Phillips pork ribs (and rib tips) are amazing. Best in town, IMHO. Beef ribs are wonderful as well.
Brisket and links are pretty good, but the chicken is dry as a bone.
ProTip: I like to to mix the hot and not hot BBQ sauces - it’s the Goldilocks “just right” BBQ sauce (for me).

5 Likes

Better than Ham Ji Park?!

1 Like

Of course, sensei, as always, you are correct: I should have said “best American BBQ pork ribs in town!”

3 Likes

Bludso’s was bomb can’t move

5 Likes

That does looks good. I have never tried Bludso’s.

Was curious to see J Gold’s review of Phillips.
Phillip’s Barbecue

When I did my first barbecue roundup for The Times 20 or so years ago, I got dozens of sorrowful responses that all said more or less the same thing: I had neglected to include Phillip’s, tucked behind an old theater in Leimert Park, which they considered the single best barbecue restaurant in town. And even to a Los Angeles native brought up on the finest from Carl’s and Mr. Jim’s, the first bite into a Phillip’s sparerib – a lean, sinewy smoke-reddened strip of meat pulling away in my teeth, all lean, muscled flavor – proved my correspondents absolutely correct. They were the best spareribs in town at the time. Decades, and several branch locations later, they still may be.

4307 Leimert Blvd., Los Angeles; (323) 292-7613|0x0(323) 292-7613. Also in Inglewood and in the West Adams district.

The Leimert one has since closed. I have tried the Inglewood one and didn’t like it as well as the Crenshaw one. I will say the few times I did try the Leimert one I thought it was better than the Crenshaw one. A friend swears by Woody’s BBQ in inglewood. I have not tried the Inglewood one, but Phillips is better to me than Woody’s, at least the one on Slauson.

My BIL was from Memphis, and LOVED Jay Bee’s in Gardena. He’d drive over there and get a tray of food. I thought the Ribs were delish, but the other stuff just okay.

Edit, J. Gold has a woody’s one too.
Woody’s Bar-B-Q

After church on Sunday, it can seem as if half of South Los Angeles is packed into Woody’s, sitting on communal benches, waiting for big trays of takeout to emerge from the kitchen. And it’s worth that wait for the crusty pork ribs spurting with juice; thick, blackened hot link sausages; chewy, meaty little rib tips; fancy-tasting smoked chicken and charred slices of well-done brisket. Don’t forget the strawberry pop.

3446 W. Slauson Ave., Los Angeles; (213) 294-9443|0x0(213) 294-9443; woodysbarbquela.com. Other locations in Rialto and Inglewood .

For some reason I think the same guy owns both Woody’s and Phillips. I have no idea why I think this…Well yes I do.

1 Like

I believe they’re the same family

1 Like

Phillips BBQ

Yes I like the ribs/links! With the mixed sauce! Or just straight up hot! So you got you some links, rib tips, pork and beef ribs

Skip the sides and hit up your favorite soul food joint.

Stop by the store and get some bread for sandwiches with the links/Rib tips, and beverage of your choice.

Tell me isn’t life beautiful?

1 Like

Ok, I must admit, I have been hating on this place because of the prices. I have been going and getting the 1/2 lb brisket because it is delicious and affordable. Well, these mofo’s gave me ribs instead. Of course, I took them back to get my brisket and they told me I could have the ribs. Shits were DELICIOUS. I don’t know if it was because it was free or what. LOL

9 Likes

Free is always best! That’s why we love free bread on this board so much lolllll

9 Likes

If they’re done well, at a BBQ place I’ll always take pork ribs over brisket. Rare for a place to do both equally well, though.

Why is that?

Moo’s Craft Barbecue does, in my non-bbq expert opinion.

3 Likes

Probably related to it being hard to find a place that does either well?