CUT by Wolfgang Puck - Dinner (Thoughts / Pics)

When I first heard about Chef Wolfgang Puck opening a steakhouse years ago, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Then I read the early reports from many of our veteran Hounds on our old board and bloggers, and I was even less sure: There were positive reviews and negative reviews. It seemed like people either loved CUT, or they hated it. :sweat_smile: So we just never bothered going.

But after years and years of avoiding CUT, we were getting ready for a friend’s big birthday celebration only to discover that it was being held at the one place we’d been avoiding for years: CUT by Wolfgang Puck. :smile:

(Courtesy of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel)

Located inside one of L.A.'s most famous hotels, the Beverly Wilshire (a.k.a. where Pretty Woman was filmed), as we pulled up, seeing the line of cars in the driveway made us feel really out of place…

We saw 4 Lamborghinis, a couple Rolls Royce, a McLaren(?) (that’s what my friend said it was called :sweat_smile:) and many other exotic cars. I immediately thought, “Forget conspicuous consumption, this must be what it’s like to be a true baller, like @J_L @ipsedixit and others talking about buying sports cars all day!” :grin: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

The Beverly Wilshire lobby makes you feel like it’s a classic hotel.

But the restaurant CUT itself is far more modern and sleek. Minimalistic, with a cool white color palette, it’s very different from a classic steakhouse feel (with dark wood, warm colors, etc.).

Pão de Queijo (Cheese Bread):

Their complimentary take on the Brazilian Cheese Bread, Pão de Queijo, was piping hot and filled with gooey Cheese on the inside. Delicious! :slight_smile:

Complimentary Bread Service:

All of their Breads are baked fresh daily, and on this visit, their Seeded Sourdough was soft, nutty, aromatic and really great. :slight_smile:

Their Baked Onion Ciabatta was also really fantastic! Extremely aromatic, flavorful bursts of slow-cooked Onions, on a soft Ciabatta Bread. :slight_smile:

Their Pretzel Roll was mediocre though. :frowning:

Prime Sirloin “Steak Tartare” (Herb Aioli, Mustard):

This was really good. I forgot if it was @Bookwich or @TheCookie who was looking for good Steak Tartare, but this one was pretty wonderful. :slight_smile: The quality of USDA Prime Beef was evident from the first bite, the Quail Egg giving it a nice creaminess.

Kurobuta Pork Cheek, Maple Glazed Pork Belly (Ten Spice, Sesame-Orange Dressing, Cherries):

This was rather underwhelming: The “Ten Spice” in the Pork Cheek made it taste like Chinese Beef Jerky (at least one kind that a co-worker gave me a few years ago… it was so distinct in its taste (sweet with a bit of Orange peel?) that I haven’t forgotten it, LOL.

The Pork Belly was OK, but also overpowered by the Sesame-Orange Dressing. :frowning:

Various Cuts:

Our server showed off the various cuts of Beef they were serving this evening.

Cavolo Nero, Baby Spinach (Garlic, Tuscan Olive Oil):

This was straightforward, but still tasty, a nice break of greens sauteed in Garlic inbetween bites of our incoming Steaks. We really enjoyed the interplay of hearty (but tender) Cavalo Nero mixed with softer Sauteed Baby Spinach. :slight_smile:

Caveat: I don’t eat much Steak, so I defer to all the Steak lovers on our board for advice.

USDA Prime, Illinois Corn Fed, Aged 21 Days - Bone-In New York Sirloin 20 oz:

Per the menu, they grill the Steaks over hard wood and charcoal, and then finish it under a 1200 degree broiler. Taking a bite of this New York… it was simply delicious! :blush: There was a fantastic crust on the exterior, with a perfect medium-rare. There was a smokiness, and nice flavor throughout.

This Steak stood on its own without any sauces, and was far more enjoyable than the New York Strip I had at Ruth’s Chris a few months ago. I also liked this more than the New York I had at Wolfgang’s Steakhouse (from Wolfgang Zweiner), but that was 3 years ago or so.

This was tender, meaty, and not overly chewy (like the one from Ruth’s Chris), complete with a nice beefiness. :slight_smile:

Mustard (3) and Fleur de Sel:

They also offered 3 types of Mustard and Fleur de Sel. I thought they worked OK, but I rather enjoyed the New York Sirloin without any of them.

English Peas, Green Garlic, Spring Onions, Ramps, Mint:

This was fantastic! Farmers market fresh English Peas (not the mealy frozen kind) makes all the difference and I’m glad to have had some before they were gone for the season. Perfectly sauteed, this was a wonderful veggie mixture, and the balance of sweetness from the English Peas, Spring Onions, the fragrance in the Green Garlic, and the subtle tinge of Mint really made this standout.

Japanese Pure Wagyu Beef, Miyazaki Prefecture - Grade A5 New York Sirloin:

While we had mixed feelings on the A5 Wagyu at Wadatsumi (being overcooked and a thinner cut), this arrived perfectly cooked here at CUT.

Taking a bite, and it was amazing! Buttery, tender, the marbling yielded this distinct Japanese Wagyu Beef flavor (and fattiness) that caressed your taste buds… Wow! This was SO GOOD! :heart:

This is what true A5 Wagyu Beef can taste like when cooked properly, and while Steak form might not be ideal, the New York Sirloin from Miyazaki, Japan was just outstanding! :blush: Definitely the highlight of the evening.

Kennebec French Fries:

For those French Fry lovers out there, this is one version worth trying: Double fried, handcut Kennebec Potatoes had a slight crunch on the outside and were fluffy inside. :slight_smile: Delicious! (I think Connie & Ted’s Fries are still our favorite in this style, but these were quite good.)

B C P (Roasted Banana, Creme Brulee, Puff Pastry, Salted Caramel Sauce & Banana Glace):

We devoured the orders of their B C P so fast that I forgot to take pictures. :slight_smile: It was very good, creamy, with a nice balance of Banana and Salted Caramel flavors.

Service was very good this evening, with multiple servers stopping by to check in on us and get refills and other needs as they came up.

For this dinner, CUT by Wolfgang Puck delivered on nearly every dish (with the exception of the Pork Cheeks and Pretzel Roll). From the Prime Steak Tartare, to the excellent crust and flavor for the USDA Prime, Illinois Corn Fed, 21 Day Aged New York Strip, to the surprisingly light essence of Spring in their fresh English Peas & Green Garlic, to the drool-worthy Grade A5 Wagyu New York Sirloin from Miyazaki, Japan, we were pleasantly surprised. :slight_smile:

For our first impression, CUT was quite enjoyable, and currently our favorite Steakhouse in L.A.

CUT by Wolfgang Puck
(inside the Beverly Wilshire Hotel)
9500 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Tel: (310) 276-8500

Update 1:

Catching up on a few reports, sorry for the delay! :sweat_smile: We were lucky enough to revisit CUT by Wolfgang Puck around Christmas, with a few friends in town for the holidays. :slight_smile:

The Beverly Wilshire Hotel was beautifully done up in Christmas decor…

This time, we “only” spotted 1 Lamborghini, 1 Rolls Royce, and a few other exotics, and we even saw 3 or 4 cars that were under $100,000 (so that we didn’t feel so out of place). :sweat_smile: (I guess @Porthos @J_L and @ipsedixit were out of town and didn’t bring their fleet of baller cars). :grin:

As before, CUT has a modern, minimalistic decor, but still maintains an elegance about it.

I decided to start off with their…

Samurai Sword (Nikka “Miyagikyo” 12 yr, Wild Flower Honey, Lemon, Ginger):

This was delicious! :blush: Nicely balanced, the Nikka Miyagikyo 12 Year Single Malt Whiskey was present, but never overpowered the drink, with a nice floral note from the Wild Flower Honey, refreshing citrus from the Lemon and the spiciness of fresh Ginger.

Pão de Queijo (Cheese Bread):

OK, the first time we had this complimentary offering, it was just awesome. Now for this visit, as soon as the basket appeared, I was hoping against hope that it would be as good as before.

It was even better! Chef Puck & crew’s take on Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de Queijo), it was served piping hot (fresh baked), with a fragrant crust on the outside, and a little bit of gooey Cheese on the inside. It’s so simple, but SO GOOD! :heart:

I was so tempted to ask for another basket, but we knew we had our actual dinner coming soon. Sigh. I regret not asking for more, though. :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :cry:

Complimentary Bread Service:

They had the same 3 offerings as last time, but there were no complaints, because their fresh-baked Breads are excellent (well 2 of them). Everyone’s favorite was the Seeded Sourdough, with their Housemade Butter. :slight_smile:

And the Baked Onion Ciabatta was also quite tasty.

Dungeness Crab (Louisiana Shrimp, Horseradish, Avocado, Tomato):

Delicious. Fresh, sweet Dungeness Crab, this was so much better than the old-tasting, prepackaged stuff we had at NoMad recently.

Big Eye Tuna Tartare (Wasabi, Ginger, Togarashi Crisps, Tosa Soy):

First, the plating was just gorgeous. The Big Eye Tuna Tartare was fresh-tasting and nicely balanced. We liked their Steak Tartare more, but wanted to try some other appetizers this time.

Roasted Bone Marrow (Salsify, Brioche, Agrodolce, Parsley Salad):

There is something really elemental and satisfying with scooping out Roasted Bone Marrow, spreading it over Brioche Bread and just smiling and enjoying the lusciousness. There was maybe a touch too much Agrodolce for this evening’s version, just a touch sweeter than I had hoped, but still very good, and delicious! :slight_smile: A huge thank you to @A5KOBE @Pomsmoms @Jase and others for this recommendation.

Snake River Farms Porterhouse Steak:

CUT’s signature cooking method involves grilling their Steaks over charcoal and hard wood, and then finishing it under a 1200 degree broiler. The last couple of Porterhouse Steaks I’ve had (at other restaurants) have been pretty underwhelming, so I didn’t really want to order this, but we let the group decide on which cuts to order and this was voted in.

It arrived a perfect medium-rare, and the Tenderloin side was truly tender, with a gorgeous crust and just delicious as is (no seasonings needed). :blush:

The Strip Steak side of the Porterhouse was still quite tender, beefy and excellent as well.

Mustard (3) and Fleur de Sel:

The 3 types of Mustard and Fleur de Sel were a nice touch, but really unnecessary for any of our Steaks this evening (that’s how flavorful they were).

USDA Prime, Nebraska Corn Fed, Dry Aged 35 Days - New York Sirloin 14 oz:

Since we had a larger party, our server offered to have the kitchen cut the Steaks for us, and they arrived perfectly portioned out. A beautiful medium-rare, with a tantalizing crust and nice beefiness (a real beefy taste!), this was an excellent Steak! :slight_smile:

It was tender, not chewy, but still meaty and I think at this point, I liked the Snake River Farms Porterhouse a touch more, but it was good either way. :slight_smile:

Kennebec Potato French Fries (Perigordine Truffles):

So when you first read the words “Fries” and “Truffle” together, you might think upon all of those cheap bar / pub appetizers that try and upsell you “Truffle Fries” (made with Truffle Oil). :expressionless: Not so at CUT:

The large holder of French Fries arrives, and the server proceeds to freshly shave a lot of Perigordine Black Truffles on top, at the table. It smells incredible! :heart:

Thankfully the taste matches the alluring scent: These double-fried, handcut Kennebec Potatoes were just as good as last time, with a beautiful crunch on the outside and fluffy Potato on the inside. :slight_smile: And with wonderful Black Truffles accentuating each bite.

Japanese Pure Wagyu Beef, Hokkaido Prefecture - Grade A5 New York Sirloin:

And then we got my favorite cut of the evening, their Japanese Pure Wagyu Beef, at the highest Grade A5, in New York Sirloin cut form, only this time it was from Hokkaido, Japan. :slight_smile: Recently, it seems Miyazaki Grade A5 Wagyu has been prevalent at many restaurants around town, so it was great seeing CUT get in some Hokkaido Grade A5 Wagyu this evening.

I thought it was more flavorful, a little beefier, but still having that ridiculous melt-in-your-mouth, lush quality that only true Grade A5 Wagyu can offer. We made the mistake of eating our A5 Wagyu Steak before finishing up the last few bites of the USDA Prime Nebraska Corn Fed Sirloin. Because when we finished up the last few pieces of the Nebraska Sirloin after eating the A5 Wagyu… there was no comparison. :sweat_smile:

The A5 Wagyu from Hokkaido, Japan was just pure happiness, so tender, so perfect. Highlight of the evening! :heart:

Brussels Sprouts (Sesame Yuzu Aioli, Glazed Shallots):

These were quite good, with the Sesame Yuzu Aioli providing a nice creamy, citrusy and nutty component to balance the Brussels Sprouts.

Cavatappi Pasta “Mac & Cheese” (Quebec Cheddar):

This was a pretty good Mac & Cheese, a nice balance of creamy and cheesy, yet more elegant, and a little bolder and funkier with the Quebec Cheddar instead of the usual Cheese blends you might find locally. :slight_smile:

I have no idea how we had room for Dessert, but somehow a few Desserts appeared at our table at this point. :sweat_smile:

Sticky Toffee Pudding (Bourbon Pecan Sauce, Earl Grey Ice Cream, Lemon Tuile):

This had a nice nuttiness from the Pecans, and had a bit of the salty-sweet facet going on. Delicious. :slight_smile:

Pink Lady Apple Crumble (Almond Streusel, Rosemary - Honey Ice Cream):

This was OK. Not bad, but not anything we felt like we wanted to order again.

Baked Alaska For Two (Meyer Lemon Ice Cream, Cassis Sorbet, White Chocolate Buttermilk Cake):

I think I might’ve had a Baked Alaska once, when I was little, but I remember hearing about this retro-dessert from some cooking shows on TV.

Prepared tableside, it is a spectacle as the Dessert is set on fire, and then it toasts the edges before it gets cut into individual slices to enjoy. The alcohol burns fast enough that it doesn’t melt the Ice Cream.

I don’t really have a frame of reference for a good Baked Alaska, but this was just OK. The Meyer Lemon Ice Cream is citrusy and tart, and then the Cassis Sorbet adds more piquant-sweetness to it, while there wasn’t enough sweetness from the White Chocolate Buttermilk Cake to balance it out. So it felt a bit off-balance and too tart.

Mignardise:

Complimentary, Housemade Sweets to end the evening. :slight_smile:

Service was outstanding at CUT, with multiple servers making sure our drinks were restored, or plates / utensils cleared away between courses and more. They were attentive, but never hovering.

With this latest visit, CUT by Wolfgang Puck in Beverly Hills is now easily our favorite Steakhouse in L.A., deftly delivering the best Steaks we’ve had locally by a long shot (with some tasty Appetizers like their Steak Tartare, Bone Marrow Flan and Dungeness Crab to boot).

Full caveat: I don’t really like eating Steak (I find it’s tiring, there’s too much red meat, even with petite cuts, and my palate gets desensitized after halfway through a typical Steak).

But CUT by Wolfgang Puck in Beverly Hills is something different: In both of our visits, I never once got tired of eating the Steaks we tried. The crust and smokiness on the exterior, giving way to truly tender (not chewy) slices of quality Steak that actually tastes beefy, makes me appreciate what a great Steak can be.

From their stunning, and cost-effective USDA Prime, Illinois Corn Fed, Aged 21 Days - Bone-In New York Sirloin, to their Snake River Farms Porterhouse, to their outstanding, luscious Japanese Pure Wagyu Beef, both the Miyazaki Prefecture and Hokkaido Prefecture versions of Grade A5 New York Sirloin, CUT is a special occasion place that we’d be happy to return to anytime.

CUT by Wolfgang Puck
(inside the Beverly Wilshire Hotel)
9500 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Tel: (310) 276-8500

Mixed Dining Under the Sun and the Stars - Redbird
Wonderful, Ecclectic American Cuisine - Acorn at The Source [Review + Pics]
The Best Korean BBQ in LA: Park's BBQ vs. Gwang Yang BBQ [Thoughts + Pics]
June 2017 Weekend Rundown
Mixed Dining Under the Sun and the Stars - Redbird
What Really Elevated Asian Food Can Taste Like - Benu [Thoughts + Pics]

Food Caligula . Thanks Chowseeker for the pics and report . I would absolutely indulge .

Hi @Chowseeker1999 !

It was Bookwich. I prefer my steak tartare on a movie screen :wink:. I would try CUT’s though. They served me the greatest piece of steak of my life. I’m not surprised you loved the english peas too. The sourcing at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurants is underrated, in my opinion.

Thanks for the report on your conspicuous and mouthwatering consumption.
:kissing_closed_eyes:

Thanks @Emglow101. :slight_smile:

Hi @TheCookie,

Thank you. Glad you liked your visit to CUT as well. :slight_smile:

Wow, which steak did you get when you went?

So how was the pricing?

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

It was so long ago and way before I reported on such things :wink:. It was some kind of petite cut, tender enough to cut with a butter knife and so buttery and flavorful. I’m curious now too and will check out the menu to see if anything rings a bell. Because, unlike their sexier neighbor on Canon, they list the origins of their meat.

Happy steak eating!

Obscene

Hi @TheCookie,

Wow, that tender? It might’ve been A5 Wagyu Beef from Japan. :slight_smile:

your steaks look insane, been meaning to hit CUT up.
Can’t stand Mastros.

Hi @mcmichael,

It can get pricey as @TheCookie said, but their USDA Prime Steaks range from $49 - $64, which is shockingly in the same price range as the mediocre Ruth’s Chris we just had 4 months ago(!).

Their American Wagyu gets more pricey $88, and their Japanese A5 Wagyu Beef is $25 - $26 per Ounce depending on the cut you choose (New York Sirloin, or Rib Eye Steak).

Overall, I felt it was worth it, at least for this dinner experience we had. Thanks.

@Chowseeker1999 very nice meal. CUT is still my favorite steakhouse in LA, if you do return please get the bone marrow flan, trust me.

Also, if they have it, the seasonal pumpkin beignets with ginger ice cream is awesome.

Great report, English pea dish looks really good.

Hi @A5KOBE,

Thanks. Glad to hear you liked CUT as well. :slight_smile: And I’m guessing you liked their A5 Wagyu? :wink:

I saw the Bone Marrow Flan and we thought about ordering it. Darn. :cry: Next time then. :slight_smile: They didn’t have the Pumpkin Beignets, but I’ll keep an eye out for them. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Keeping it beef-forward: Yazawa is still the better bet in that 'hood.

One of my favorite things at CUT is the Caesar Salad. Perfectly classic stuff.

I like the A5 Japanese wagyu in NY and the Snake Rivers American wagyu in ribeye. TBH, the draw for me is actually not the steaks but the other dishes. The bone marrow flan is my favorite dish they offer. The roasted lobster is really good and the white corn when in season is great. I usually go with the dry aged steaks. Also, fabulous beef tartare. The short ribs are also quite tasty.

Avoid the onion rings and veal tongue salad.

My favorite meal there is bone marrow flan, roasted lobster and banana cream pie.

Thanks for the rec. :slight_smile:

Hi @A5KOBE,

Thanks for the suggestions! Ah, you like the A5 Wagyu as New York Sirloin as well? :slight_smile: Great to know about the Roasted Lobster, I’ll keep that in mind for next time.

CUT is still the best steakhouse in LA.

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

I think it was the Snake River Farms American Wagyu Filet. I checked the menu and pictures of that particular cut. It is a small, neat square. I remember feeling a little guilty about the extravagance and couldn’t bring myself to order the Japanese Wagyu. I probably won’t be that earnest next time.

Interesting tidbit; today MSN did a slideshow of Food & Wine’s Best U.S. Steaks. CUT was their L.A. favorite; the picture was of that steak tartare you loved. Hmmm… coincidence?

Now I want some steak :relaxed:.