CUT by Wolfgang Puck - Dinner [Thoughts + Pics]

Is that a version of “BITCH”?

1 Like

I just saw that! It was definitely on the high-end (price-wise) of my “best budget bottles” list. But it has gone way up in price. I think it was around $35 when we started buying it.

1 Like

That’s my favorite too… and I haven’t even had it.

1 Like

$50 is the new $30 it seems. Some of my buddies that are more into wine than me say they can no longer afford to collect their favorite producer’s wine due to prices exploding. A good example of that is 1er Cru Burgundy…

No matter, plenty of reasonably priced wine out there.

1 Like

I like wine a lot, but the love never developed. I am cheating on it with Sake, and I think I’m in love with my mistress.

Edit: Yes I know they’re both wines.

3 Likes

Try shochu.

It is your mistress’s sexy, slightly more dangerous younger sister.

2 Likes

Haha… I saw some the other day while unsuccessfully browsing the Sake selections at BevMo. Any recs?

Apparently they’re not actually.

2 Likes

I had an urge for bone marrow flan so I ended up at CUT Las Vegas. Fantastic!

Cheese puff thingy

Big Eye Tuna Tartare :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: fantastic

Bone Marrow Flan :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: available at LV location

Dry Aged NY Strip…this was good but not much funk

Kale :heart_eyes: because they ran out of $38 Austrian white asparagus

Cavatelli Mac and cheeee :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: really balanced, perfect bite from the pasta, and enough cheese flavor, super rich

Cauliflower carbonara…pass on this one

Banana Cream Pie :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I can say that the LV location is delivering just as good as the Beverly Hills location. The drinks were $20, tasty and service impeccable. I would recommend CUT all day everyday.

4 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Nice report! Thanks. :slight_smile: And good to know that CUT in LV is just as consistent. But how could you go to CUT and not order your namesake?! :wink: You have to get some A5 because you’re A5KOBE, right? :grin:

I should be ashamed of myself. :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks @foodshutterbug. :slight_smile: We haven’t tried it yet. But I’ll ask one of my friends (who’s been to Cut more times than I have) if they’ve tried it yet.

1 Like

They do not.

And, yes, the souffle at CUT is very good.

2 Likes

I guess I know where boyfriend’s birthday dinner is going to be if I can’t get a table at Somni. Thankfully Boyfriend doesn’t like fatty steaks so I might be able to get away with Prime grade.
Great reviews

3 Likes

was interested in trying this since we enjoyed visiting the bar at Spago, and Chowseeker1999’s posts/pics were so enticing. went recently and the overall experience was just so-so… didn’t end up taking a lot of pics.

we started off at the Cut lounge, where they were very friendly and gave us a corn fritter as an amuse bouche, which was very generous and nice. Forbidden Kiss cocktail was delicious.

once in the restaurant, I ordered the special Sazerac cocktail, which was advertised in the menu as finished table-side – NOT the case, it came fully formed/completed, which was a small disappointment. Strong licorice/absinthe flavor, though; as well, strong clear ice game.

we brought a wine for corkage, and there were several surprising missteps in wine service; perhaps we got a junior somm, but still… we were initially given a dirty/already-used decanter, which they didn’t notice until we pointed it out. They then opened/poured the wine into glasses without either testing/tasting it themselves or offering it to us to taste, which was a breach of wine serving protocol – what if it was flawed/corked? Either way, poor attention to detail.

the food itself was decent if not something that struck me as worth the upcharge over making steaks at home. we tried american wagyu and japanese wagyu, both were tasty if somewhat overcooked (closer to medium than medium rare). bordelaise/red wine sauce was outstanding, however.

Overall, I’m not sure if we would go back. Service was friendly but again those glaring missteps reflected poorly on the restaurant, and food was not particularly distinctive.

1 Like

@brritscold What wine did you bring for the steaks?

a Matthiasson merlot – great acidity, worked pretty well to cut through the fat.

Came up with an excuse and took my mom and fiancee to CUT. It was great…for a steakhouse I suppose. Needless to say, my mom wasn’t impressed since this isn’t a Chinese restaurant and she thinks all Western cuisines are a ripoff with minuscule amount of food on each ginormous plate. Providence was probably the only non-Chinese restaurant she didn’t complain about…

Bill came out to $269 pre-tax and tip.

Cheese puffs
Warm bits of crispy and peppery outer crust gave way to the soft, cheesy, and gooey goodness interior when you bite into it. Super yum!

Pretzel roll, onion focaccia, multi-grain sourdough
They all had good textures but they were cold. My favorite was the onion focaccia since you get the sweet and nutty caramelized goodness on every bite.

Cheese breadsticks
Very light and crispy flavored mostly by the Parmesan shavings. Good stuff.

Maryland Blue Crab & Louisiana Shrimp Louis | Horseradish Panna Cotta, Avocado, Tomato
A play on crab and shrimp cocktail and Louie salad. The flavor varies from good to great depending on what you’re able to pick up on your spoon. The spoonfuls that really worked were the ones with the pickled tomatoes since they add a lot of freshness and acidity that the dish really needs. Crab and shrimp were expectedly fresh and sweet. The bottom layers of avoacdo and horseradish panna cotta added plenty of creaminess and a bit of a kick to the dish.

Crispy Maryland Soft-Shell Crab | Old Bay, Pickles, Herbs
Light. Crispy. Flavorful. Good.

Bone Marrow Flan | Toasted Brioche, Red Wine Bordelaise, mushroom marmalade, Parsley-Caper Salad
This was a fine dish. However, the star of the dish is the mushroom marmalade. It was an incredible umami bomb.

Toasted brioche for the bone marrow flan

Prime Sirloin Steak Tartare | Herb Aioli, Grilled Sourdough, Shallots, Dijon Mustard, Quail Egg
Another fine dish. Very creamy and the tartare had just the right chew. I was craving more acidity though. Perhaps a bit more pickled shallots?

Alaskan Halibut | Sweet Corn Broth, Roasted Peppers, Chanterelle Mushrooms
Corn broth was sweet and very fresh tasting. Fish, however, was overcooked. When I tried to tell the waiter about it and tapped on the fish with my fork to demonstrate its toughness, he tried to tell me that the crust should be tough and asked me about the center. I proceeded to show him that the fish doesn’t flake much, to which he said, “Oh, you want the fish super soft! I’m sorry.” and walked away… :rage:

To be fair, the fish wasn’t super overcooked, but I do expect it to be cooked correctly at a restaurant of this caliber. Shame one me, I guess, for ordering fish at a steakhouse…

Grilled Sonoma Lamb Chops | Date-Cucumber Raita
Cooked to medium rare perfection. Nothing really stood out including the date-cucumber raita that reminded me of a yogurt sauce of sort. The sauce got a bit of sweetness from dates and the freshness of the cucumber flavor helped cut through the fatty lamb.

3 types of Mustard and Fleur de Sel - Never used these since I got the Red Wine Bordelaise sauce (forgot to take a picture) and it was perfection with textbook viscosity and deep layered flavors.

Prime Nebraska Rib Eye | Dry Aged 35 Days
Mildly funky and not as tender as I expected from a dry aged ribeye. I miss the butter basted finish flavor but the aforementioned red wine bordelaise saved the day.

French Fries | Burgundy Truffles
A decadent rendition of french fries. Perfection tonight.

Complimentary confections to end the night
Really? We got 3 people and we’re only given one of each flavor?! Are we suppose to split it somehow?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyone had trouble taking pictures at CUT? I’ve never been at a restaurant with such dim lighting. My pictures came out terrible…

5 Likes

No, like all good Asian sons, you let mom pick first, then your fiancée and then you get what’s leftover.

Then when you get home after dropping off mom at her house you explain to your fiancée your momentary lapse in fealty to her and upgrade her engagement ring with another carat. Or two.

This is why CUT is so expensive. It’s never the food, per se.

6 Likes

That’s exactly how it was played out. I know the drill. :wink:

2 Likes