December 2018 Weekend Rundown

We like GTA for breakfast to-go. The selection isn’t as deep as Gjusta but it is so much quicker. Gjusta’s popularity overshadows GTA so the lines at GTA are usually minimal in the AM. The selection of toasts has something for everyone. And the stuff to order like the breakfast sandwiches and burritos is still excellent.

Thanks for the intel. I am going to try those out.

Love not working Fridays. Day drinking at Trader Sam’s- a Mojito.

3 Likes

Petit Trois and Yang Chow Holiday family treats…

6 Likes

Do you mean Bloody Mary?

No, it’s their version of a Mojito. I don’t drink vodka. Rum, mint, lime juice, agave nectar and lots of bitters.

We have Gin Mary’s. Used to have Bloody Marias with tequila.

But that looks like tomato juice or something related. I’ve only seen mojitos like this:

Well, the bitters are dark red and there is quite a bit in this drink. One of my favorites there.

So is it a regular recipe with the addition of bitters? What kind? Although I know little about them :slight_smile:

Joined my friends after a catching a theatre production for a jaunt to the Original Tommy’s on Rampart. It was my first time there. I guess I’m a real Angeleno now…maybe this should be an FTC confession.
The chili cheeseburger was okay, but there was no discernible taste to their chili. The fries were more successful, I think.

2 Likes

Eh it’s a check the box kind of thing.

2 Likes

Is that the same as a play? :wink:

@Ns1 Agreed. I would have much preferred a taco crawl, but I wasn’t driving…captive audience. They were much interested in the $5.55 deal with a chili cheeseburger, chili cheese dog, and chili cheese tamale. They all seemed to bite off more than they could chew.

I think it’s 1118 Westwood Blvd as 1116 is TLT Food.

1 Like

Strongest meal at Hayato so far imo

11 Likes

:scream::heart_eyes::star_struck::scream:
That crab! I need to get back there.

Entirely possible. I might’ve been standing next door when I took the pic. :wink:

To redeem my disappointing lunch, made a beeline to Gwang Yang.

I don’t remember Gwang Yang being this good, but this meal was rivaling Park’s as tops in the city for me.

Ggotsal

Incredibly good this time around. Just a bit of sea salt and :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Kuro Pork Belly w/ grilled kimchee :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Less crispy

More crispy

Having both less crispy and more crispy, I actually prefer it less crispy as it doesn’t change the flavor as much. The flavor of it being less crispy actually has more kuro pork flavor. The browning of the pork belly actually changes the flavor too much to where you get a less discernible kuro flavor.

Spicy Bulgogi Bibimbap crispy rice life :heart_eyes:

So delicous.

Stan’s Donuts for dessert :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I also had an unglazed buttermilk bar, wow :open_mouth: was it amazing. Fried super crunchy and a slight sweetness, so good. Because I was a glutton and ate it in the parking lot, no picture.

Hiho Burger

Double Hiho no ketchup - yum

Not a fan of their fries

Fan of their banana cream pie

ST Patisserie

Mille Feuille :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

17 Likes

Hipster looking Northern Cafe. It’s so darn good! I gotta thank @J_L for bringing this up earlier in the thread.

House Special Beef Noodle Soup (50/50 Meat + Tendon) with Knife Cut Noodle

Light but flavorful broth while the briskets and tendons were perfectly cooked. I really liked everything except for the knife cut noodle since they were cut to different sizes and a bit too al dente for my taste.

Korean Style Cold Noodle - Tangy, slightly spicy, sweet, funky. SUPER DELICIOUS. The broth really reminds me of a cross between the flavor of kimchi and the picking liquid of Korean seaseed banchan. The pickled cucumber and kimchee added pleasing texture variations to the noodle.

Noodles have an incredible chew in a very pleasant way but it’s so hard to chew through them that I can see somebody choking on these!

Beef Roll - Not bad but I’m looking for more nutty notes from the caramelization of the wrap and more flavor from the sauce.

Lamb Kabab - spicy, flavorful with big notes of cumin, nicely grilled

7 Likes

So confused. Picture 4 looks like naengmyun but with cilantro, Kim chee and sliced brisket. What is that and where are you? Everything else looks like Chinese food.

1 Like