Devastated that Bourdain died

And I find it exponentially humorous that it’s @DoubleThinker commenting on two FTCers to name names. :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh jesus christ… i’m in the US because of the conflict over Artzakh. this bullshit better not be real lol

Your family’s from there?

I assume the usual conspiracy theorist bullshit, though it would be nice.

Ya just never know.

um… yeah.

i’ll give you ten places for free, the rest will cost you (or you’ll have watch/read for yourself):

tacos villa corona
philippe’s
birrieria chalio
sapp’s
ham ji park
yu chun
jollibee’s
myung in dumplings
beverly soon tofu
yeya’s restaurant

3 Likes

I don’t usually think of the Santa Monica Observer as a source of investigative journalism, but it appears they [in the person of reporter Stan Greene] have scooped the rest of the world by linking AB’s death to a Parkinson’s diagnosis, according to “multiple sources.” Sad. Last night’s Cajun Mardi Gras episode was just terrific.

wow.

That doesn’t fit with the method.

What an unfortunate headline.

1 Like

Might be a reference to the old Tarrytown cigarette ads - see below - in which case it is a kind of cheeky headline, but maybe that’s over thing it and giving too much credit to the SM Observer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Tareyton-100s-Cigarettes-Black-Eye-Pretty-Woman-Charcoal-Vintage-Print-Ad-/162765370468

Not saying there isn’t some truth to this rumor (and not attacking the messenger @CiaoBob), but that headline is irresponsible given what we know about how the way we report on suicide can affect readers who are having suicidal ideation.
Also, the article is written to be deliberately unclear. Multiple sources? Are any of them not speculative? Do any of them have a connection to Bourdain? Unclear, most likely deliberately unclear. The “close associate” quote is also poorly worded. As written, that close associate would technically be close to the author, not Bourdain.
Then the bit about Argento?
I’ll keep an open mind about the reasons why Bourdain died (though its hardly important in estimating his life), but this article reminds me of when “doctors” like Dr. Drew Pinsky were diagnosing Hillary Clinton with significant cognitive impairment based on TV appearances.

4 Likes

Exactly.

AND Robin Williams died from Lewy Body Dementia according to his wife.

Gossip

Well, Drew Pinsky really is an MD. Whether he is sticking to his scope of practice is a different thing altogether…

2 Likes

Agree - Dude is actually a very decent internist.

I’d never heard of him until here.

Sounds like he SO didn’t stick to his “scope of practice.” Sheesh.

I’m aware of his bona fides and I rate him as quite talented. But I gotta put scare quotes on that title when he appears to spend more time and energy on his own celebrity than on maintaining a practice.
Perhaps it’s a bit harsh, but I just can’t respect the man as a practicing doctor.
Remember, Dr. Oz holds an MD, too.

1 Like

Agree with you on all counts. He’s strayed from the calling.

But back in the day, when he was more immersed in private practice, he was a good doc.

The “celebrity-media-star” gig pays a helluva lot more than a “by-the-book” healer these days - perhaps a sadder commentary on what we value as a society more than anything else.

3 Likes

I don’t see where he was ever in private practice.

True words, sir.

Oh, let’s see… Last portion of the second paragraph into the wikipedia entry (which you yourself cited). And the intro portion of citation reference number 10 of (again) of the wikipedia entry which you yourself cited. And, oh, here’s one more: I personally know many people who have worked with him in private practice.

This thread is straying.

2 Likes