Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- OCTOBER 2016 -- NOMINATIONS

Tacos was (were?) barely beaten last month; will it perhaps be a winner this month? Will we get nominations that remind us that it’s Fall, even if there’s supposed to be a heat wave this weekend? Will my stomach ever recover from the ricotta cheesecake that perhaps sat a few too many days in my fridge? All these questions, and perhaps more, will be answered in the coming days…

BTW, we’re about a third of our way to the goal of raising $140 per month to keep the site going! If you can spare a few dollars a month and appreciate how wonderful FTC is, please consider contributing here). Thanks!

Previous noms:
January: LAMB
February: PASTRIES
March: DUMPLINGS
April: VEGETABLES
May: KOREAN
June: FRUIT
July: BBQ/GRILLED MEATS
August: COLD (POSSIBLY FROZEN) NON-DESSERT ITEMS
September: THAI

Votes in ALL CAPS. Polls close at MIDNIGHT on 09/27.

BEGIN!!!

1 Like

How about CURRY?

1 Like

I suggest PASTA.

1 Like

::crickets chirping::

Other than Typhoon, I’m not aware of many other places serving crickets.

2 Likes

EGGPLANT ('tis the season); or
TOASTS

2 Likes

Chapulines?

2 Likes

¡Si Mon!

2 Likes

PASTA would be the Italian kind?

I don’t see a need to restrict it to Italian pasta only, though I imagine it makes up a dominant proportion regardless.

Nope, apparently it’s Italian. Google says so.

CURRY could work. October can be a schizo month. Cool weather can move in. But like now, super-heated weather can show up as well. Curry works in hot climates as well as cooler ones. Indian and Thai for hot weather, other SE Asian curries kind of sit in the middle, and Japanese “curries” work well for me in cool weather.

2 Likes

Since @nosh talked me out my complicated idea of nominating “region” - then voting on a region - I have modified.

NORTHERN ITALIAN Italian Regional Food: the South - Life in Italy

-OR-

GREEK MEDITERRANEAN
If we want to lighten up before the gorgefest, otherwise known as the holiday months.

-OR-

FISH
One of my personal favorites. It doesn’t have to be expensive. Fish goes well in a taco too. I hear they have tasty heads too.

Happy DOTM!

2 Likes

P.S. @paranoidgarliclover - I’m with you in November … Harvest foods are perfect.

REGIONAL CUISINE is a great idea IMHO. I think part of the trick is matching a cuisine that complements the month and it’s impact on seasonality, which then comes full circle on its impact to a regional cuisine.

Paraphrasing some Revolutionary War figure and one of our esteemed posters,

“I’d rather give _____ than than eat ____…”

If there ever was a guy’s most fervent argument for cloning…

Ooh, so do you want your nom to be regional cuisine (the original idea), or did you want to nominate a region(s) directly (@thecookie’s twist on her original idea)?

My fellow FTC’ers I nominate:

SOUPS/STEWS

(No noodle soups like ie pho and ramen)

Soups/stews are really the heart and soul of most cuisines.

1 Like

Good question. I guess I’d have to pick a region. Otherwise, just about any dish could be part of a regional cuisine.

If one regional cuisine is picked, it has to be at least representative enough to where it is available, e.g., Oaxacan.

1 Like

Still musing on the rooster/hen egg discussion, and now am curious what could be discovered if we did EGGS.

(Not limited to the avian species.)

1 Like

[quote=“bulavinaka, post:16, topic:4314”]
Paraphrasing some Revolutionary War figure and one of our esteemed posters,

“I’d rather give _____ than than eat ____…”
[/quote]Alexander Hamilton? :blush:.

[quote=“bulavinaka, post:16, topic:4314”]
If there ever was a guy’s most fervent argument for cloning…
[/quote]Awww :kissing_smiling_eyes:.

1 Like