Felix - Venice

We were there a couple weeks ago and it was top notch for us as well.

2 Likes

fiori di zucca - squash blossoms, bellwether farms ricotta

focaccia romana rossa - salsa di pomodoro, origano selvatico, sea salt & olive oil

the crust is so thin ray charles can see through it

burrata campana - english peas, asparagus, green garlic & pizza bianca

pappardelle - ragù bolognese “vecchia scuola” & parmigiano reggiano 5yr

orecchiette - sausage sugo, spigarello, peperoncino & canestrato

ttartina frutti di bosco - mulberries, blueberries & blackberries
member covid? oh, I member.

20 Likes

Saturday, Felix also had a special pappardelle with porcinis and sausage in a cream sauce that was fantastic. Sorry I missed the Martina, though!

2 Likes

Wow, that glaze! I can see PorkyBelly’s reflection in the blueberries!

3 Likes

How was the focaccia? Looks amazing.

It is nuts! I had it for takeout and it was amazing. I can’t imagine how good it would be fresh.

4 Likes

the focaccia romana rossa had a great crispy crust, sauce was on the tart side. I still prefer the cloud-like sfincione which is what I think @attran99 is referring to. I would buy that to-go so hard if I could.

5 Likes

I stand corrected. It was the sfincione.

The tart photo is stunning @PorkyBelly!

Trivia: I’m making stuffed squash blossoms tonight and have been making them since first trying Chef Funke’s at Rustic Canyon. :blush:

3 Likes
3 Likes

She is great in these interviews, her warmth makes him seem less grumpy than usual! And of course that she is a pretty good chef herself means they at least speak the same language.

5 Likes

fruits were the highlights this visit. weiser :melon: with prosciutto was incredible. andy’s :peach: with burrata excellent. and the sycamore hill :tangerine: granita was great. everything else was very good.

fritto misto - monterey bay calamari, anchovies, finocchio, lemon & basil

fiori di zucca - squash blossoms & bellwether farms ricotta

SFINCIONE - focaccia siciliana, origano selvatico, sea salt & olive oil

burrata e pesche - andy’s orchard gold dust peaches, burrata campana & basil

weiser sugar cube, prosciutto

tagliatelle - ragù bolognese “vecchia scuola” & parmigiano reggiano

spaghetti ai frutti di mare - cozze, vongole, pomodoro, aglio, olio & peperoncino

granita - sycamore hill orange

13 Likes

Felix Trattoria - Venice

Talking about gamberi on the Funke thread made me realize how many reports I have backed-up in the queue. It’s been a really busy year and I haven’t had the focus to share a lot of dining experiences with the board. :smirk: But we ate really well and took a lot of photos. So I’m going to start a year-end report purge. A lot of Italian…

Our nephew was staying in Venice for a couple months so we were hanging there a bit. Took him to Felix and sat in a cozy corner on the cozy patio.

Old-fashioned w/Four Roses Single Barrel

I’m not sure hubs noticed the ice cube was stamped with the restaurant logo but he thought the cocktail was very good. :slightly_smiling_face:

Cortaccia - Kurtatsch, Kerner ‘21, Alto Adige & Arnaldo Caprai, Montefalco Rosso ‘18, Umbria

Fiori di Zucca Fritti - Lightly Battered, Fried Zucchini Blossoms w/Bellwether Farms Ricotta.

From Rustic Canyon to the present - Funke’s squash blossoms are my favorite squash blossoms. :hearts:

Sfincione!

Gamberi… Please!

Thanks for the rec/nudge @PorkyBelly. Not that we had to be nudged too hard lol. The name is apropos - blue prawns bathed in incredible bagnetto verde with sfincione for topping & sopping! This is the dish! :hearts:

Orecchiette, Sugo di Salsiccia, Broccolini, Peperoncino & Canestrato

Cameras didn’t eat first on this one. So much flavor - concentrated sundried tomato sauce, sausage, kicky heat & melty cheese. Preferring lighter pastas I’m not usually a fan of orecchiette but it is the right pasta for the robust sauce and so good! :blush:

Tagliatelle, Ragù Bolognese “Vecchia Scuola" & Parmigiano Reggiano

“Vecchia Scuola" indeed. Rich, beefy flavor, generously saucy (we like), tangy-salty parmigiano reggiano, thin but toothsome tagliatelle. Love. :hearts:

Diavolo - Mozzarella di Bufala, Salame Piccante, Pomodoro, Basil & Olio Santo Olive Oil

(internet photo)
I didn’t have a slice but my dinner mates enjoyed it.

Tiramisu

Espresso + Two Scoops Foam

Menus at the time we went

It was a packed Friday night and we had to wait even with a resy, but our server was engaging and on point. Sergio wasn’t in the house and we didn’t expect him. He’s Funke-ing it up elsewhere but Felix seems to have the system down. It was an excellent meal. Music was jazzy soul, RB, pop & funk.

Venice really does have some gems. :hearts:

10 Likes

So good. My three favorite Italian restaurants in LA: Felix, Funke, Mother Wolf, in no particular order.

1 Like