Foie Gras: Gone Again?

Just bought some delicious foie from Epicurous Gourmet so definitely still legal.

Anatra.

Yes, they have foie, and yes itā€™s quite good.

But if you go, try either the braised short rib, or if itā€™s still on offer the 55oz bone-in ribeye.

And then unbuckle your belt and settle in for a piece (or two or three) of White Chocolate Cheesecake. You can thank me later when I see you on treadmill.

Anatra.
Fashion District DTLA
217 East 8th St (x-street Santee)

Thanks, robert.

So why wouldnā€™t this apply to cows and pigs and chickens, etc.?

"The Ninth Circuitā€™s unanimous ruling issued today gives states the right to ban the production and sale of cruel and inhumane products, as California did with its foie gras law,ā€

Low hanging fruit indeed.

1 Like

The law put only one small farm out of business.

The only one in CA. Iā€™m still pleased that I bought two lobes a few weeks before they closed.

Any law that would put factory farms that supply supermarkets and restaurants out of business would not get passed in the first place, so it would not get to the courts.

2 Likes

If PETA is smart, they can use this as a stepping stone to arguing that factory-farmed ā€œproductā€ is the result of cruel and inhumane practices.

Too much big money in Big Ag. Will never happen.

At least in California, legislators are open to requiring more humane practices, as evidenced by the 2008 law regarding chicken cages.

PETA wants to ban meat, not require humane practices. They only got the foie gras ban through because the legislators bought the false argument that it was particularly inhumane.

1 Like

Iā€™m okay with banning factory farmed meat. Itā€™s why I pay $100 for a Thanksgiving turkey, instead of $23 at the supermarket.

Iā€™d vote for requiring humane treatment of all farm animals, but there would be massive spending by the factory meat industry to oppose any such law. Itā€™ll be interesting to see how that chicken initiative does next year.

4 Likes

But many people CANā€™T pay $100 for a turkey. In addition people in the US are eating so much meat that they donā€™t want to pay the high prices that farm raised meat would cost.

1 Like

Before we worry about animals, I think we should start treating humans, humanely.

3 Likes

We can do both.

3 Likes

You give us too much credit.

3 Likes

I could just ā€œthumbs upā€ but I find this argument too often about too many things. We humans (and some animals) are capable of multi-tasking. The more the merrier :slight_smile:

My guess is that the ducks or geese donā€™t mind being force fed and may actually enjoy it. Ducks are very stupid creatures. Iā€™m not going to feel sorry for animals that go around pecking each other all day. More generally, animals are far less concerned about the well-being of animals than we are. But from a food perspective, I think itā€™s a good thing if foie gras isnā€™t widely available. Itā€™s not the kind of thing I want to eat more than once a year, and itā€™s a little too ubiquitous on restaurant menus.

Nobody is stuffing it down your throat :wink:

3 Likes

I hardly ever see it on menus.

1 Like

Related article in todayā€™s LAT: