Help with big dinner in NOLA!

Sweet!

Just another reason to return!

Great. We’ve been thinking about going since your posts. But wondered, after all the eating what else is to do? We both come from jazz loving families… but shhh, the most we can say is we appreciate it. Anyway, after watching the X-Mas special on KCET it seems like a fabulous place to visit during the holidays.

P.S. Looks like I better get on table reservations now?? Thanks to you. We know where to go for gumbo :wink:.

Don’t let Jazz scare you off.
I go to Jazz Fest almost every year and I rarely hear a lick of Jazz.
The city is filled with all kinds of non-Jazz music every night at clubs likes The Maple Leaf (go, whatever else you do, go to the Leaf, especially if Rebirth Brass Band is there), Howlin’ Wolf, one-Eyed Jacks, DBA, Snug Harbor, etc. Funk, Blues, Rock, Country, you name it.
Walk the Quarter, Carrollton, Garden Distric, Audubon park, City Park, the Riverfront.
Go to Algiers
Swamp Tours
Plantation tours
There’s a million things to do.

2 Likes

Great. So if we can’t do X-Mas, there’s plenty to do there other times. My husband is a bass player (not pro) and fanatic. So he’ll appreciate the music scene.

I’m getting excited. The determining factor will be if we can get X-mas eve or X-mas day table reservations at someplace really good.

Okay… Just checked R’evolution. Booked both days. The search continues. Wish I had thought of this sooner!

If y’all had a few places to pick for X-mas or eve dinner, where would you go?

Bayonna
Clancy’s
Brightsens
Galatoires
Herbsaint
GW Fins
Tommy’s
Lukes
August
Bon Ton Cafe
Coquette
Emeril’s
La Petit Grocery
Gautreau’s

1 Like

Ralph’s on the Park

1 Like

When we were trying to figure out where to go on our last night, I kept asking waiters and waitress where they would recommend and invariably, they said ‘go back to August.’ We had an amazing meal with great service there the one time we did go. I would also consider Revolution and Coquette. I’d base my decision on what they were serving. I assume most places will have a special menu that evening. I had so many standout meals on our recent trip! Angeline, GW Finns and Brigstens would also be an excellent choices! Report back!!

1 Like

Thanks @Xochitl & @CiaoBob! I have my work cut out for me. If we’re going to do this it needs to be figured out in the next couple of days :anguished:.

I’m kind of thinking classic, old-world. If any on your’s and CiaoBob’s lists fit the bill I’d greatly appreciate knowing which. I’ll try not to ask you guys too many questions. I’ll make Google my friend :wink:.

Okay. I just looked at a NOLA list of who’s serving reveillon dinners. Almost all, if not all of the recommendations are offering the dinners. Wish me luck on finding an open table and the right menu.

1 Like

In NOLA it doesn’t get more classic - for me - than these places:
Clancy’s
La Petit G.
Gautreau’s
Upperline (not on original list)

Bayona (if I had to pick one from what I consider to be the “new guard” it would be Bayona).

Commander’s and Galtoire’s too, but both will have a heavier tourist presence (which is not bad - hey, that’s what you are). If you want to see how the locals spend the holidays, the top 4 are the places I would consider.

I asked my NOLA born-and-bread-brother-in-law, not too long ago, to feed me some info on a few of these places and here’s what he said:

Gautreau’s is an institution. Quiet’ tucked away, large local customer base, and a factory for putting out great chefs.
Le petit is close on its heals. I took my mom here last year to have a quiet, proper meal with no drama.
Both are definitively white table cloth dinning with great wait staff.

2 Likes

Update: Gautreau’s seems perfect. They are closed on Xmas eve and day. But I’d still like to go one night depending on schedule. Clancy’s starts taking reservations tomorrow (1st) for Xmas eve only, which is fine.

I am noticing most of the places on your classic list aren’t on the reveillon list. Which means they’re probably the real deal, non-touristy places. I’m starting to suspect the reveillon dinners are possibly a commercialized event with prix-fixe meals that are rushed. But since we’re tourists like you said, I’d still like to go to one.

August is definitely on our list to check out one of the days. It’s our son’s namesake. And he actually played hockey for the Louisiana Ice Gators. So there’s that.

I haven’t checked any others yet. TBC…

One more question if I may @CiaoBob and @Xochitl or others :relaxed:. How did you get around? Is everything close?

No experince with them.[quote=“TheCookie, post:55, topic:4101”]
Clancy’s starts taking reservations tomorrow
[/quote]

It is hard to think of a more NOLA place than Clancy’s – and on Christmas Eve, I think it will be delightful.[quote=“TheCookie, post:55, topic:4101”]
August
[/quote]

I know most folks love it. And I am sure I also would, if it was in any other another city. But to me it doesn’t SCREAM New Orleans like the other places I listed. And that is what I want when I am there. August presents overly fussy preparations, truffle on too many things, etc. For example, on the current menu:

shrimp “Étouffée”
ginger, fermented pepper

Gulf pompano
local satsuma, anise, blue crab, fennel pollen

Who needs that ginger and fermented pepper? If I am eating Shrimp Etouffee in the home of Shrimp Etouffee that’s all I want and need. Don’t gussy it up with a bunch of bullshit. And satsuma, and anise and fennel pollen with pompano? No thanks. A bit of crab meat on top is a classic New Orleans prep, but the other stuff is not, and is not helpful, IMHO. But I think that flamboyance is what gets so many visitors all hyped-up, and others, obviously, like it a lot more than I do. I am sure there’s no such bells and whistles on the menu at Clancy’s - and for a good fucking reason.

1 Like

It is quite a small city with minimal traffic.
Cabs are relatively cheap and quite plentiful. And traditionally have had really funny drivers, though this has changed a lot since Katrina and there are far fewer comical natives driving cabs nowadays.
Use them.
Otherwise you will be “stuck” in the french Quarter or CBD. I say stuck because the best stuff in the city, with few exceptions, is not in the Quarter.

1 Like

Here’s a book I just love that serves as a fantastic intro to the gastronomical and cultural history, beloved restaurants, unique foods, peculiar traditions and neighborhoods of the Crescent City.

Gumbo Tales: Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table
by Sara Roahen

2 Likes

That’s great! I love it. It really helps. I think it being my husband’s first time and only my second time (I was there for 2 drunken days for Lollapalooza in my 20’s) we really want to capture the New Orleans spirit and leave the ginger and fermented pepper in L.A.

Thanks!