In Search of Lunchtime Pasta, from Disappointing to Excellent - Knead & Co., Pasta Sisters, Cento Pasta Bar, Bulgarini, Factory Kitchen and Drago Centro

Thanks @Bookwich!

Believe it or not. I like the guy.

2 Likes

The heart and soul of a Quaker.

Thatā€™s pretty cool. Thanks!

For O + P

Pasta, drinks and dessert. Rinse and repeat.

My moods are dictated by the food I am craving though.

So it seems to me like that is the same as choosing based on the food?

Thatā€™s true. I donā€™t even like pappardelle usually and that is a great dish there but I never think of it as a pasta restaurant oddly enough.

I am surprised thatā€™s all people like there. I typically love all the vegetable dishes there and the smoked short run and the desserts.

Cento Pasta Bar.

Uni pasta

This was so incredibley good, I couldnā€™t stop eating it. I actually cleaned my plate as best I could with only a fork.

The ā€œkitchen,ā€ with Chef Avner in background.

Avner was so nice! He mentioned theyā€™re looking for a space in Venice. That would be amazing.

I parked around the corner on Los Angeles Street pretty easily. It didnā€™t seem sketchy to me, only one guy talking loudly to an invisible friend, but he was nicely groomed and well dressed.

7 Likes

Hi @Bookwich,

Glad you liked Cento! :slight_smile:

We love the Uni pasta as well. If you see the Bolognese on the menu, definitely try it.

Oh, I will! Definitely worth the drive. He sounded surprised when I said heā€™s famous. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I upped my dishcleaning game by bringing some baguette as backup to Cento for this very reason.

3 Likes

It looks so incredibly good. I like your reportā€¦ short, sweet and funny.

1 Like

Wait. What? They donā€™t provide bread? Thanks for the tip. Bread dipping is the most important part, to me.

i did the same with some dawn and a pink scotch brite pad.

2 Likes

Are we above just licking plates in public? Because I am not.

6 Likes

Upping the game by bringing baguette simply means that the tongue is now an option of SECOND resort. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I am going to Carbone soon. Price asideā€“if you were there and got to order whatever you wanted, on an empty stomach, what would be the items youā€™d recommend?

1 Like

Spicy Rigatoni Vodka Sauce, Veal Parm, Veal Marsala, Ceasar alla ZZā€¦and the lemon cheesecake, god damn, everyone raves about the carrot cake, but their lemon cheesecake is my favorite cheesecake in the world.

I feel you canā€™t miss too much. The most disappointing thing for me was the lobster fra diavolo, but I am no sure thatā€™s even fair, given the typical price of a whole lobster in restaurant settings it probably was the least ā€œmarked upā€ item on the menu. I just didnā€™t feel as good about it as the other dishes in my memory. The scampi alla scampi is probably better.

If I had to pick two things though it was be the rigatoni and the cheesecake, veritable ā€œlast mealā€ foods for me. But I bet branching out into their other pasta would yield good results as well.

Also, given how good their chicken parm subs are at Parm, I bet their chicken dishes like chicken scarpiello are worth ordering as well.

Sadly, I havenā€™t eaten the whole menu, but from my experience it seems hard to go too wrong.

Iā€™ve never gone wrong at Drago Centro (except that one time I ordered pizza). The pappardelle with pheasant is one of the best pasta dishes Iā€™ve ever had anywhere.

2 Likes

Knead & Co. - Bucatini all Ametriciana

Before:

Overly firm noodle lacking silky suppleness that fresh noodles should have. Too much bland, soupy sauce.

After:

Noodles removed from sauce and placed in a pan, then stir fried with random little takeout containers of chili oil and duck sauce, plus sad Thai basil from back of crisper drawer.

7 Likes