Is Thor123 here? I want a La Barbera Pizza in 2015

So you’re a rocker, @Thor? I’m a lifelong mod myself, but of the modernist sort. :wink: I’d be down for a cheese pizza, if you’re still taking orders. The molten pool of cheese on @wienermobile’s pizza looks way too tempting!

Ok, I’ll make a preliminary inquiry at Valentino and get back to you. Maybe just to use their freezers (if they have any) for a one-night take-out event. I don’t know anyone to call about shipping questions but Gino’s Pizza in Chicago used to ship their pies surrounded by dry ice and they were mind-blowing. Also, how about a “pay and take away” one day only thing from a booth at one of the weekend farmers markets?

1 Like

Farmers Market might work but doubt it qualifies. Not an expert at all. I dont think Valentino will do it, they have their own business. I will look further into mail order. That would be the easiest.

1 Like

Im going to try set up the mail order as most recently planned. Waiting to hear back from him. In the meantime if anyone has any information as to the regulations regarding sending frozen food through the mail, it would be most appreciated.

1 Like

Not rules but here are USDA recommendations:
Mail Order Food Safety

The following food safety tips will help the purchaser and recipient determine if their perishable foods have been handled properly:

Make sure the company sends perishable items, like meat or poultry, cold or frozen and packed with a cold source. It should be packed in foam or heavy corrugated cardboard.
The food should be delivered as quickly as possible—ideally, overnight. Make sure perishable items and the outer package are labeled “Keep Refrigerated” to alert the recipient.
When you receive a food item marked “Keep Refrigerated,” open it immediately and check its temperature. The food should arrive frozen or partially frozen with ice crystals still visible or at least refrigerator cold—below 40 °F as measured with a food thermometer. Even if a product is smoked, cured, vacuum-packed, and/or fully cooked, it still is a perishable product and must be kept cold. If perishable food arrives warm—above 40 °F as measured with a food thermometer—notify the company. Do not consume the food. Do not even taste suspect food.
Tell the recipient if the company has promised a delivery date. Or alert the recipient that “the gift is in the mail” so someone can be there to receive it. Don’t have perishable items delivered to an office unless you know it will arrive on a work day and there is refrigerator space available for keeping it cold.
Americans also enjoy cooking foods that are family favorites and mailing these items to family and friends. The same rules that cover the mail order industry also apply to foods prepared and mailed from home. Make sure perishable foods are not held at temperatures between 40 and 140 °F, the “Danger Zone”, for longer than 2 hours. Pathogenic bacteria can grow rapidly in the “Danger Zone”, but they may not affect the taste, smell, or appearance of a food. In other words, you cannot tell that a food has been mishandled or is unsafe to eat.

For perishable foods prepared at home and mailed, follow these guidelines:

Ship in a sturdy box.
Pack with a cold source, i.e., frozen gel packs or dry ice.
When using dry ice:
Don’t touch the dry ice with bare hands.
Don’t let it come in direct contact with food.
Warn the recipient of its use by writing “Contains Dry Ice” on the outside of the box.
Wrap box in two layers of brown paper.
Use permanent markers to label outside of the box. Use recommended packing tape.
Label outside clearly; make sure address is complete and correct.
Write “Keep Refrigerated” on outside of the box.
Alert recipient of its expected arrival.
Do not send to business addresses or where there will not be adequate refrigerator storage.
Do not send packages at the end of the week. Send them at the beginning of the week so they do not sit in the post office or mailing facility over the weekend.
Whenever possible, send foods that do not require refrigeration, e.g., hard salami, hard cheese, country ham. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/mail-order-food-safety/CT_Index

Cant help but smile. Literally, less than one minute ago pulled the exact same info from Google. I am going to have a bit more research done, but it looks like this may be most viable.

1 Like

It appears that frozen pizza is subject to considerable regulation. A one night or day venue seems to be the only alternative at this point Waiting to hear back. Venue suggestions appreciated.

1 Like

What about the Chefs Center of California? They’re run by the Episcopal Housing Alliance and Economic Development. They were one of the locations for the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami baking fundraiser that I participated in 2011. They donated their location for the day. It seems like they’d be pretty amenable to helping out your fundraiser.

Chefs Center of California is located at:

45 N. San Gabriel Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91107

Hours of operation:
Monday - Friday: 5am - 7pm
Saturday - Sunday: 8am - 4pm

For more information about the program, please call:
David Katzberg
Director of Operations
Tel 626.744.9995
Fax 626.744.9800
DavidKatzberg@ChefsCenter.org
http://chefscenter.org

1 Like

maybe tie it to a charity fundraiser might kill three birds with one stone? donated venue, pizza and charity.

Yeah, I thought Thor mentioned that there was charity function in some doctors name that might be set up.

not sure.

please correct me if i’m wrong. though I probably am definitely beyond wrong.

thor ???

Could you find a co-packer who already ships frozen items?

Too much work for me to find a co-packer. On the charity front the charity in mind is cardiac related and won’t sponsor a sausage pizza event but would appreciate donations from it. Maybe it could be a FTC event? I need to talk to La Barera. Have a call and email in. Sometimes it can take a week to make contact. I think if there were a venue and his costs get covered it can happen. For me personally it can’t be a ton of brain damage cuz I don’t have it to spare and at this point it’s just for fun.

What about one of the Banquet Halls at The Olympic Collection?..not too far from the original La Barbara’s location…

i’m fucking down. but down let me set anything up.

Bulgarini.

Those regulations, I believe, only apply if it’s a for-profit operation.

What if, just thinking out loud, the pizzas were free, and the grateful recipients decided to, um, make a charitable contribution of some sort.

I’m down with that shit.

I meant don’t let me set anything up.

That sounds like a good idea. I go to yoga classes that are donation-only, but everyone ALWAYS donates. And the “suggested-donation” amount is made very clear…

I dont think so, but I am having our law clerk do some more research. Will report back soon.