January 2019 Weekend Rundown

I actually went into their store and they informed me that they were not making the buche de Noel in Exotic this year. So I opted for the round cake instead, decorated in the winter theme. Then, they actually called a week later saying they were going to offer the buche de Noel in Exotic afterall, but the buche was a little less in cost. I didn’t want to go through the “hassle” of getting a credit back so I just left it with the round cake since it was all paid in advance. It was excellent, a toss up between the buche de Noel version.

Glad they let called me up. I saw one customer custom order a large Mille feuille, I may get one of those too, but it seems a bit difficult to slice as it was one large square.

2 Likes

6 Likes

@A5KOBE

Damn you get around town!

I agree with DTF. Been a few times l just drop in for some chicken soup, fried rice, and garlicky greens.

2 Likes

Wow. We really need to hang out sometime. Total baller mode. Well done, Sir!

1 Like

So brilliant.

2 Likes

Revisited Takatis again, so I’ll spare you the roast chicken photo (it’s excellent there) but here’s the ceviche and their grilled beef heart (anti cuchos). Peculiarly everytime i’ve had that it has a way too strong chemy scent flavor, as if cooking direct on natural gas is somehow affecting it.

2 Likes

My friend picked up some custard cream puffs for me from Nagomi Cake House in Torrance. After inhaling the first, I wasn’t sad because I had 5 more left. I shared…the chowpups each had one…while I got 3. Makes that Beard Papa stuff so pedestrian.

2 Likes

Did a bunch of good Asian soups this rainy weekend! Started with wonton soup at Ho Kee Cafe, a nice Hong Kong style soup joint with roast meats. The duck was not to my liking, but the soup was very good. But then I had the Zeed Noodle soup at Luv2eat, which was fucking incredible. Spicy, sweet, lots of different textures–a sensory experience when ordered spicy.

1 Like

Zeed is the soup i usually chose there. Last time i had that and boat noodles… love that they have a medium size portion so you can have 2 bowls.

Burgers never say die soft opening yesterday was bomb

Burratatina Pugliese at Osteria Mozza last night on a date, exquisite. Also, they have the best old fashions in the city IMO.

God tier meatball sandwich at Gwen today, also picked up mushroom soup which hit the spot.

8 Likes

That mushroom soup looks so good!

Is BNSD worth the gimmicky hassle?

How was that though

1 Like

Could not have been as good as the meatball sandwich.

1 Like

Fiona

Pretty hit and miss at dinner.

hits

• hamachi crudo
  • key lime pie

meh

• burrata & pears
  • bo kho

miss

• sweet potato pancake

hamachi crudo, pineapple, ginger, lime chili
highlight of the night, the dressing tasted like a fish sauce vinaigrette that had a nice balance of sweet, heat and acid. loved the fried shallots on top.

burrata & winter nelis pears, olive oil, sea salt, country bread
Fine

vietnamese beef stew, short ribs, carrots, baguette
the baguette and short ribs were delicious, the broth was kind of bland and in need of some umami.

sweet potato pancake, umeboshi creme fraiche, fresno chiles, lardons
this was described as a latka by the server and i was hoping this would be a play on a vietnamese banh tom. it was neither. what came out was sweet potato mush topped with overpowering umeboshi creme fraiche and enough salt from the lardons to give you chronic kidney disease. inedible.

key lime pie
tart and semi-sweet. very good but doesn’t top my favorite at fwd.

no toto

6 Likes

that is a crazy amount of creme fraiche.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning @PorkyBelly. Very sad as we were looking forward to trying this place. :frowning:

Ran into the city for the morning and stopped at Chaumont for come croissants to take home. At 7:30AM, the pastry case was rather bare with only some breads and some morning/breakfast pastries. Croissants still look fabulous. Had to run, so didn’t get a chance to eat it quite yet.

3 Likes

Koftegi

Got the namesake but I think I should have got it with cheese.

Juicy and flavorful patties. The whole time I was thinking “Man I need some small Kings Hawaiian rolls for some sliders”

In the heart of Little Arabia. For the record I don’t know shit about ME/Med food. I probably can’t find Turkey on a world map.

3 Likes

The later you go, the more the kitchen has time to crank out the goods. But the traffic and parking get pretty bad as the day progresses as well.

2 Likes