[KCRW] GUSTAVO'S GREAT TORTILLA TOURNAMENT - September 16

4 Likes

There are no good tortillas in L.A. There are some better than others, but no “great” tortillas.

1 Like

This is subjective of course, but have you tried Alejandra’s Quesadilla Cart in Echo Park?

I like Loqui’s.

3 Likes

The flour tortillas at Loqui are grrrreat.

1 Like

I’m going to agree with the Loqui endorsement.

You know who else has good grilled flour tortillas? Tito’s Tacos in Culver City, believe it or not. Two grilled tortillas and a medium salsa makes an excellent lunch.

I haven’t tried Taco Maria. Did you like the tortillas?

Love them. Chef Carlos’ riff on the fish taco is awesome. They also serve them with the meat course on their prix fixe dinner.

1 Like

I go there for lunch at least once a month just to have the tacos with their magnificent tortillas.

I’ve been in for dinner many times. I need to get in for lunch. How crowded is it at lunch?

I go around 1 pm on a friday, If you’re by yourself. you can usually get a counter seat. But otherwise, its usually full and a 20 minute wait.
not sure about the other weekdays.

1 Like

I’m a pretty big fan of the corn tortillas at Broken Spanish.

In fact I get them in bulk sometimes just to nibble on while I troll food forums on the Internet.

6 Likes

Yep! Although pretty and blue… they are no way close to the Tortillas in Mexico. For a true travesty… check out the ready made Masienda tortillas they sell at fancy markets. Terrible. I hate that people are going to think it’s some sort of representation of Mexican Artisan Heirloom product. :PPPPP

Flour tortillas though, are a different manner because they have long been made on this side of the border, even here in L.A. (Flour is cheaper than corn meal). So while I think most corn tortillas pale in comparison to Mexican tortillas… The Flour tortillas that are now available, even in the market (I like Tortilla Land that you finish on the comal) are quite good.

1 Like

So true! They were just rubbery, bland, awful. A major disappointment and my expectations were fairly low.

So what you’re saying is there’s space here for a dry corn importer / miller business?

How much you got on it, fam

p.s. anaya’s are good but i haven’t had the heirloom stuff much and never been to mex proper

1 Like

A tortilla bracket? Someone start a pool!

1 Like

Here is how Tortillas should be made:

Have raw ingredients on hand.

Grind the Maiz.

Create Harina de Maiz

Make the Masa.

Fire up the Tortilla Maker

Cut the tortillas

Cook the tortillas

Weigh out how much you need for the next meal.

Take them home.

Eat. I’ve never had a better tortilla in my life.

9 Likes

I could crush that stack tortillas with whatever guisado Abuela or Tia has on the stove