Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

I am not a number, I am a free man!

3 Likes

Ipsedixit is a lawyer after all. Accurate parsing is to be expected.

Finally had a chance to try the fried chicken sandwich. I was too hungry and excited to dig in to remember to take a pic, but it tastes every bit as amazing as people have reported! If I had one criticism, it would be that they use a boneless breast, instead of thigh meat, which I prefer. Still, the meat itself is so tender and juicy that it’s really splitting hairs.

The lines have definitely gotten longer since last I visited. My buddy and I arrived around 11:05 AM, and there was already a longer line than when I went previously (around 12:30 PM). However, I noticed they’ve also increased their efficiency, and it took us the same 30-40 minutes to order and receive our food, despite the longer line.

This time, I sat at one of the tables inside. Watching Chef Zone at work was a fascinating experience. His calm, assertive energy kept the kitchen humming like a well-oiled machine. It’s no surprise he’s opened restaurants for the likes of Thomas Keller. The person working the register (his wife?) is a total pro, too. She kept the line moving with the grace of a fine dining host.

I also got an order of wings to go – purely in the interests of science! – to test how well they travel and reheat. I’ll update when I have a chance to try them.

6 Likes

Hi @Bigmouth,

Glad you finally tried the Fried Chicken Sandwich! It’s pretty amazing, and makes me appreciate how good it is compared to most places around LA.

So juicy and tender, full of flavor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quick update…I got there on Wednesday at 3pm, picked up my single sandwich @ 3:40.

For my taste buds hot = a typical “hot” from a thai place like Pa Ord or Hoy Ka. Started sweating about 1/3rd of the way in, finished about 95% of it. Tapped out due to combination of giant fucking piece of chicken and insane amounts of chili pepper. Lips stopped burning around 4:15 - I was also careful not to touch my eyes.

It got pretty messy - I’d like to try the straight up chicken + fries next time.

4 Likes

How would the sandwich be at the Howlin’ level I wonder? Seems like a great way to eat Howlin’ level heat with the pickles, slaw, sauce, bread, etc… to buttress it?

At hot (2 levels below Howlin’), I already ate every single pickle in the small 6oz(?) container provided.

I like spice, but I have zero interest in Howlin’. It’s probably @ sadistic Jitlada levels - which begs the question, what’s hotter, “Howlin’” or “sadistic Jitlada spicy”.

1 Like

The guy on Eater seemed to handle Howlin’ pretty alright.

Makes me wonder if it really is that much hotter than hot. Are there actually different peppers per level, or just more sauce added?

A stronger (ie more sadistic) man than I.

HR’s chicken breast is praise-worthy. I’m a dark meater too, but I had no complaints here. And the size of that piece is pretty impressive. As my son used to say when he was a toddler trying to explain something that was extreme, “Lotsa lotsa really really very very…”

1 Like

I think you mean masochistic?

So after watching that video, I have to ask…what’s the point of offering the “Howlin” spice level. It seems way too spicy for anyone to actually enjoy it. So is it one of those things that they’re doing just to show how spicy something can be regardless of if the end product is good or bad? Seems pretty dumb to me.

I think there are people that genuinely enjoy those spice levels? But yeah, maybe it’s just to see how crazy it can be shrugs

Yes there is a difference. Listed the other peppers in my post above.

Hi @Ns1,

Congrats on surviving level 4 “Hot”. :slight_smile:

I tapped out about 50% through. :slight_smile:

Do the Carolina reapers add to the taste? Or pure scoville sauce?

Believe me, the ‘Howlin’ Hot takes the Scoville Units up to a whole new and much hotter level. As Ive posted before, it’s only the second hot food item ever that made me cry uncle!

What is the other?

The generic sounding ‘Country Curry’ at the now defunct Bua Siam that was on Sherman Way in N. Hollywood . The waiter told me that it was too hot and refused to let me order it. Eventually he placed my order and after he served it, both he and the other waiter watched me (both giggling) from a doorway at the far side of the room. I did finish the dish but mainly because I’m stubborn and did not want to let the giggling lads win! Far hotter than anything at ANY other Thai restaurant that I’ve experienced in the U. S.

2 Likes

that same sort of thing happened to me at a thai joint in georgetown many many many moons ago. i think i washed away the shame at the brickskeller.

sad to hear of the demise of bua siam. i wish someone less lazy than i would update their way through the thai restaurants on sherman way. had many a great thai meal around there but havent been in a very long time.

1 Like