Majordomo - Chinatown

yes

Ah, right you are.

There’s still a practical limit on how many deep-fried dishes they can offer on any given day. Currently I count four: stuffed peppers, potatoes with salsa seca, fried cauliflower, and fries. That old menu also had four: peppers, oxtail with salsa seca, onion rings, and fries.

I am no chef but the cauliflower did not seem deep fried to me, despite the menu it was more pan fried.

We had the crispy duck rice last night, it is an excellent dish.i would definitely order again. Maybe i can order it for myself when i dine solo.
We also had the Whole Plate ribs and i think it was a little overcooked. the flavor was still good though. The beef rice is still good, but they do not flash-fry the bones anymore.
BS Fries were said to be unavailable that night and the Pork and spicy pineapple bing is pretty great also

I have to say that Majordomo is really good at adding new items to their menu. It keeps me coming back and so far some of these new dishes have worked out really well.

5 Likes

I wish they would hurry up and add a new dish so i have another excuse to go back.

1 Like

Introducing Majordomo - Brunch/Lunch Edition. I gotta thank @PorkyBelly for inviting me to this lunch preview!

A very small menu

Blue Point Oysters | meyer lemon, bonito ponzu
Sweet, briny, creamy. The bonito ponzu added a hint of dashi-like note to the oysters.

Snow Crab Claws | yuzu mayo, chili sauce
Delicately sweet and meaty but they’re slightly overcooked so the texture is a touch chalky. The delightful accompanying condiments, on the other hand, pair well with the claws when used sparingly. We have mayo brightened up with refreshing yuzu and what seems to be a gochujang-like chili sauce amped up with toasted sesame seeds which added a little bit of smokiness and nutty notes.

Peel & Eat Shrimp | housemade cocktail sauce
These jumbo Tiger prawns(?) are a little mushy since they’re slightly overcooked as well but they’re still fat and juicy. Don’t forget to suck out its brains!

Seafood Cocktail | shrimp, mussels, clams, kanpachi, kimchi, avocado, saltines - highlight
This is a mighty fine dish once you brighten it up with a squeeze of lime. Each seafood component is perfectly cooked and their soft and snappy textures contrasts very well with the crunch of the raw zucchini and slightly marinated red onion slivers.

Fried Oysters | ssäm, kohlrabi - highlight
These fat pacific oysters are perfectly fried.

Hello finger food. Crunchy, creamy, mildly spicy.

Fried Chicken | pickles, bing rolls, ssäm, condiments
The legs and wings come pre-tossed with chili sauce while the breast pieces aren’t.

As you can see in the picture, the kitchen didn’t do a very good job of tossing the sauce evenly.

It’s an average fried chicken at best with its slightly crunchy batter. It’s not dry but it ain’t juicy either (think Pikunico fried chicken). What about the flavor? Again, it reminds me of gochujang.

Breast piece doesn’t look very promising either

Again, these ain’t dry but not very juicy either.

Bing roll uses the same batter base as their bings. It’s quite soft and fluffy even though it looks a little dense. Even though I like these rolls, there aren’t enough chicken, for a party of 3, to make a chicken sando since there aren’t any chicken left after we made our ssäm.

Harry’s Berries Strawberries
Plump, juicy, mildly sweet

Nice touch with the complimentary Majordomo tote bags

Thoughts? Lots of room for improvement but this is their first day of lunch service! On the other hand, I was secretly hoping that Majordomo brunch/lunch will serve a similar menu as the Ssam Bar in NYC which is much more fusion-y and creative…Oh well…

7 Likes

Y’all joining the DC PR side?

If only we didn’t have to pay…

@moonboy403 @PorkyBelly how did the chicken compare to the Momofuku fried chicken set in NYC? Thanks for sharing!

Swag + insider invite…

That is a nice tote bag. I would fill it with fried oysters to take home for breakfast.

1 Like

Thanks for the report back @moonboy403

I had to laugh (at the ridiculous price) of David Chang and the $50 (+ tax & tip) Fried Chicken. Seriously? :roll_eyes: (I think @Ns1 @TheCookie and others might be dying a little inside at this ridiculous QPR.)

Reminds of the $110 mediocre Hainan Chicken he’s selling.

1 Like

Never tried it so I can’t help there.

The 3 of us got the small $35 fried chicken. The value’s there since portion size is comparable to what you get at Pikunico for a little less than $12 pp (It’s $12 at Pikunico). I think each small Majordomo fried chicken order has 3 full wings, 3 drumstick, 2 breast pieces cut into 4s, butter lettuce, herbs, pickled veggie, and 3 large bing rolls. In fact, if they ever improve their fried chicken, it’s a relative “steal” IMO.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. The fried chicken still looks (and sounds from what you described) as pretty mediocre though.

1 Like

Positive, it’s somewhat comparable to Pikunico.

$80 for the chicken 3 way no?

Actually 2 way, but the 2nd prep can vary dramatically (e.g., sometimes it’s been a chicken salad :expressionless:). The last time I had it it was a very mediocre chicken noodle soup (which was worse than the mediocre Hainan chicken rice).

Went to the lunch preview on Sunday, here are the mains. There was 4 of us and we ordered all the mains (small)

Overall it was good, the seafood boil was a little hard to eat since you have to take off all the glasses and tableware so they can lay the paper down. Then they had to do the same thing when you finish, they’re still trying to figure it out. We got the curry seafood boil. They provide gloves since it can get messy. I liked the whole fish best, it was striped bass and was pretty substantial.the beef was fine, it was like a Persian beef koobideh with a kalbi type marinade? It was interesting and all the mains are meant for sharing . It felt a little bit weird to have large format meal for lunch. The fried chicken has already been mentioned by @moonboy403.

We also got some sides, potato salad, ginger scallion noodles, and cucumber.

7 Likes

Sorry I haven’t tried the nyc fried chicken yet. Hopefully they’ll be serving it at the upcoming weho noodle bar. In which case, I believe a bang bang may be required. For research.

2 Likes