Majordomo - Chinatown

Wow! I thought we ain’t real foodies?

I think the spicy lamb bing is a riff on Mexican, in particular tacos árabes.

One of the things I love about Majordomo is how they mash up different cuisines to the point that you can’t quite figure out what they sampled. Which would be of no interest if the results weren’t delicious.

3 Likes

Same here. I really appreciate them taking a little bit of everything from different cuisines.

1 Like

toothpick lamb

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoU_vuug1c9/

1 Like

My palate didn’t deceive me after all. I guess it’s still of some use.

They can say that, but the spicy lamb I had it didn’t remind me of toothpick lamb at all. It was braised and juicy with a lot of pickled jalapeños. If there was any Sichuan pepper it was mild enough that I missed it.

“the spicy lamb in our bing section is our version of sichuan toothpick lamb, which is typically rubbed with spicy and deep fried on toothpicks. we pull apart the lamb instead so you can spread it over a piece of our hot bing bread. on the bottom we spread a smoked labneh with sichuan oil and top everything with pickled chilis and herbs.”

I read the Instagram post. Like I said, they can say what they like. What I had was not fried like toothpick lam, it was braised.

The IG post is saying the lamb is typically deep fried but they “pull apart the lamb instead”. Up to the reader to infer how that’s actually cooked.

3 Likes

Ah…Good catch since I totally missed that part!

opening in the former carnevino space

WTH…there’s already a Momofuku down the street that does mildly similar things

Yep… I don’t know nutin’ about what he does in New York City, but he puts his foot in it here.

Uh, boy.

Is their dining room really this bright? Or is it just the pic?

Their dining room is actually quite bright for an upscale restaurant but this picture’s brightness is a result of a combination of exposure compensation on my camera and a little Lightroom magic. Overall, it’s only a bit dimmer in real life with warmer lighting.

Finally made it to Majordomo last night.
Thanks to FTC recommendations, we had ordered very similar to @moonboy403 with some extras including black cod and whole steamed fish (both excellent)
Sat on the patio. The restaurant feels a little bit like Bestia…except a lot better.
More spacious and less hectic. Service was nearly perfect to minute detail. Uni tofu dish was great, light and flavorful. Soft of reminded me of uni/tofu I had a Shiki Sushi but tofu lighter in texture.
APL whole plate ribs and duck rice were my favorites. This is definitely now one of my new top restaurants in LA.

6 Likes

Dang, how many people did you have in your party? Our party of 4 almost died finishing everything…

We had 5 people.
Took a little bit of rice and ribs home (perhaps enough for lunch for 1 person).
We also did finish 3 bottles of wine, and 4 out of 5 people had a cocktail.
It was great!
I am still not hungry this morning…

2 Likes

I felt the same on many visits over the last year, but on my most recent visit a few weeks ago, they really amped up the sichuan pepper - it went from like a level 2 to an 8. Not sure why the sudden change, but we weren’t complaining.