Majordomo - Chinatown

I’m not a wine person but my cuz, who works in the wine industry, speaks VERY highly of them.

Thank you Robert - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
“spicy and sour barbecue” - this is something I did not realize, so I think acidic light Italian reds or northern rhone could be a better match.

1 Like

their wine list is pretty good for sure.

That’s heading in the right direction, but the best pairings are probably not so mainstream.

1 Like

You’re going to need something with more heft and structure to stand up to the smoke than an acidic light red. Northern Rhone is heading in the right direction. I have a largish wine collection, but we never bring wine to Majordomo. Too much fun and learning to be had with the wine team.

I hear you and will likely do the same.

I have a stupid ?. Is patio covered? I have resy on Wed and they forecast a heavy rain. Is that going to be a problem?

Patio is covered and they have heat lamps. I don’t think it will be a problem

1 Like

I believe they offer blankets as well although i’ve never used them

They feel like they’re made of good quality material too.

1 Like

I had a fantastic meal at Majordomo thanks to ordering tips from FTC. The food here aren’t avant garde by any means but they’re simply delicious and immensely satisfying! On a side note, we got better service here than at either Republique or Osteria Mozza.

Apparently, Majordomo is only about 2 miles from my house. Maybe I gotta come here more often. :drooling_face:

A spacious dining room with high ceilings makes for a comfortable dining experience.

Kombu Cured Diver Scallop | pink lady apple, apple dashi
The perfect harmony of this dish is impressive with the natural sweetness of the cured scallops echoing the marinated(?) apple. Tying them all together is a dashi that’s been brightened up with some sort of vinegar and apple juice resulting in a delicious “vinaigrette” of sort.

Stuffed Peppers | benton’s sack sausage, buttermilk

Crispy batter with a slight crunch along with moist sausage fillings with a mild funk. What’s not to like? These won’t blow your socks off but they’re quite the crowd pleaser.

Bing x 4
These grilled-to-order pillows are significantly better than what I had at the OG Momofuku Noodle Bar in NYC. Piping hot…slightly crisped up edges…light and fluffy center…Great stuff.

Cultured Butter & Honey with Black Truffle
This is possibly my least favorite of the night. The musky truffle added just a smidge of complexity to the combination of butter and honey but its fragrance is quite muted. As a whole, they didn’t add much flavor to the hot bing.

Spicy Lamb | yogurt
Is this a rift off of Xinjiang cumin lamb? No matter. It’s super savory with notes of cumin and just a bit of a kick. The addition of yogurt, though not necessary, adds a nice tang to the mix.

BS Fries | raclette cheese sauce
What the hell does BS stand for? Why does it cost $15 a pop for a few fries? I’m possibly the biggest doubter of the fries given what seems to be a blatant and shameless money grab! But I stand corrected! These beef tallow fried potato sticks are ridiculous. Aside from the fact that they are seasoned a touch too aggressively, I can’t find any fault with these fries that are essentially $1 each. The crust of these fries are so thin, crispy, and crunchy on the outside, you might mistaken them as chips. But once you get through the crust, the piping hot, creamy…and almost liquid-y center filled with potato essence will burst in your mouth. It’s a masterpiece and easily the best fries I’ve ever had. I haven’t even gotten to the mildly tangy and souped up version of “nacho cheese” sauce that goes perfectly with the fries…but i digress

Roasted Duck Crispy Rice | citrus, dates, turnips
The duck, rosy pink from edge to edge and probably not dry aged, is perfectly cooked and superbly tender. Personally, I prefer ducks that aren’t dry aged simply because a dry aged duck’s skin tends to be quite chewy even when properly cooked. Yes, I’ll miss that dry age funk but tenderness, to me, is key.

A duck broth is poured over the rice to moisten it before our server stirs it up.

The perfectly cooked rice, a short grain Masuri(?), is toothsome with a very satisfying chew. Contrast that with portions of the rice that are crisped up in addition to hints of orange scent and tender pieces of duck and turnip, we have a recipe for the highlight of the evening!

ALL MINE!

I think I pooped my pants looking at this

Scooby Snacks to be Gnawed on

Ssämjang

Sesame Oil

Pickled Daikon

Kimchi

Rice Paper

Butter Lettuce & Shiso

Whole Plate Short Rib | smoked bone-in APL-style

These short ribs are marinated, slow-roasted and lightly smoked for 8 to 9 hours. Result? Smokey, superbly tender, but only mildly seasoned since it’s up to you to spice it up with the given condiments before you create your Ssam to your liking. Is it blasphemy to say that I really like them but I’m not super crazy about them? On the other hand, sides have unlimited refills!

Beef Rice | APL ribs scraps, lemon zest, grated horseradish, scallion

Comforting and homey AF. It’s simply delicious but a touch too heavy on the horseradish.

Kakigori | citrus, ricotta cream, meringue
This is a gigantic portion but we demolished it nonetheless. I feel like I’m eating a delightfully refreshing bowl of juice. The various condiments added a variety of textures and differing flavors to break up any monotony that might build up from eating such a big bowl of shaved ice. Great stuff!

14 Likes

bill simmons

2 Likes

The sports columnist? Why?

Bonus picture of some random diner eyeing my junk in the trunk. Unacceptable.

11 Likes

yep, it was one of his favorite things during friends and family and he kept talking about them on his podcast so dc named them after him.

3 Likes

Hi Random Diner, if you are on FTC message me!

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, it’s because Bill Simmons said the best fries in Los Angeles was at The Four Seasons and David Chang refused to take that as a valid opinion and took it as a challenge to make better fries.

5 Likes

LOL

1 Like

serling

1 Like

me when i heard the news

2 Likes