May 2018 Weekend Rundown

That’s what I’m talkin’ about. A chicken salad sandwich at Oinkster? Who knew?

1 Like

Your cake fail posts are always hilarious.

2 Likes

I :heart: this kid.

3 Likes

This pretty much described most Middle Eastern/Mediterranean take-out. I’ve been considering telling them to scratch the salad, but instead just try to salvage a few crisp morsels.

1 Like

Is the lunch galbi set at Park’s as good as a typical order off the a la carte menu? Or is it a different quality or cut of meat?

$1.09/dish is crazy.

In APL pricing that’s like buy an onion get a meal free.

4 Likes

First weekend in May… a little on the late freight.

Highland Ave

Husband’s Hudson Manhattan Rye
I normally don’t like whiskeys with mixers, but this was great.

Baguette, Butter from Normandy
:blush:

Burgandy Escargot

My lord they do these right.

Baguette, the best edible utensil. Did I mention I :heart: their baguette?

Omelette w/Boursin Pepper Cheese, Chives
Chef Ludo called Boursin the Velveeta of France :grin: or something like that. I haven’t had Republique’s omelette, my reigning local favorite is Joan’s on 3rd’s, but fear I’ll have to revisit, because I loved this. The Boston Lettuce was very good and nicely dressed, maybe a tad too much crunchy salt.

Potato Darphin

No need to request extra crispy with this one. Inside the joyous, brown crunch is white, perfectly creamy, but still textured julienned potato. :heart_eyes:

Not Toto

It was a weekend afternoon. They were busy, but the turnover was fast and seating was almost immediate. The roar of the crowd has settled and it has turned into a sweet neighborhood and happen to be in the neighborhood spot. hopefully = longevity.

11 Likes

Another weekend in May

Los Feliz Location

Nice indoor/outdoor spot. No reservations, super busy weekends. It’s confusing but I think it’s two restaurant/bars housed in one building.
I was about to order the Peach Mimosa, but this…

Mangos Up - Margarita w/Fresh Mango Pulp, Blue Agave Tequila, Agave, HOMEmade Sweet & Sour, Garnished w/a Dried Chili Spiced Mango

Might be too sweet for some, but to me it was a sweet & sour delight, and I loved the spicy dried mango.

Honey Breaded Fried Chicken & Belgian Waffle

Chicken was semi-moist, too salty and the crust fell off, a decent waffle.

Southern Fried Steak, Beef Sausage Gravy, HOME (get it?) Fries, 3 Eggs, English Muffin.

Okay, I rarely get the guilts over anything I eat. What’s the use? On this one I must admit to a tinge. But the vote was unanimous - best bite on the table. The guy at the next table wolfed his down, sopped up the gravy and looked around like he wanted to lick the plate. :yum: Just ignore the boring un-crispy home fries and barely toasted muffin.

I’ve dined across the street at Green Leaves Vegan many times, and wondered about this restaurant behind the cute, folksy facade. Would we go again? Only if it’s a friend/family meet-up, we happen to be in the neighborhood and it isn’t too crowded.

4 Likes
  1. All that looks very tasty.
  2. You can very easily make that omelet at home, if the mood ever strikes you. Boursin lasts . . . a good long while in the fridge.
  3. What. Are. They. Doing. Serving manhattans on the rocks?
1 Like

I don’t know! :blush: Is that bad?

It’s not bad, I suppose. It’s just . . . wrong.
I’m only half-serious. I’m a long-time cocktail nerd so I perhaps spend too much time thinking about these things.

1 Like

One can try on the omelette, but you have to be quite skilled at home to achieve the texture they get at Petit Trois. I’ve had omelettes from many good home chefs and they’re not cooked at this level–this one is good because of technique, not because of anything that special about the omelette ingredients

1 Like

It’s only a matter of practice. I’m not a particularly special home cook, but I can duplicate that omelet without much fuss.
I wouldn’t be so quick to discourage people from trying it out.
Your first 3-5 omelets might not be as good as ones from the restaurant, but they will be tasty. The Boursin actually does a lot to keep the texture luscious enough not to quibble much. After a few omelet-for-dinner nights over the course of a month, you’ll think you could work at Petit Trois.

This link can get you started with Lefebvre’s technique. Watch Ludo Lefebvre Make His Perfect Petit Trois Omelette At Home - Eater LA

Honestly, a little practice (not much) and this omelet is yours any time you want it.

1 Like

Most cooking techniques in the restaurants are not that difficult to replicate at home - what is unique to restaurant cooks is doing it 100s of times a day without too many mistakes

2 Likes