Newport Beach Recs

Thanks everyone. It’s down to Pueblo or Mozza.

LSXO looks amazing, but, as much as I love Too Short, I’d rather not have to explain the lyrics to my kiddos just yet.

great post, love the photos. yeah, I don’t think these pasta/meat dishes are exactly like the osteria mozza/chi spacca menus but still cool that all of them are in one restaurant. If I was in the area again, would definitely go back. The service was very nice for us, as well

1 Like

It’s really a matter of QPR. They’re apples and oranges.

They don’t always have music with explicit lyrics. I’ve been in many times where it’s 80s/90s music. Best to call them and see if they can tell you what they will be playing.

I don’t think you can go wrong with Pueblo. It’s one of our favorites.

Anyone have any recs for good and safe al fresco in Newport (or surrounding?)

We went to the Santa Monica Seafood in Costa Mesa when we were down there during one of the hellish weekends when temps topped 110 in the SGV. Very few tables outside but all decently socially distanced and separated by plastic/plexiglass dividers. We drove through Newport and it appeared to be a disaster. I would not go to any of the restaurants along the main drag.

2 Likes

Sushi ii has limited indoor dining and outdoor dining.
Nearby Shibucho has limited seating.

Honestly Newport Beach sucks for food, I hate to say it from the pics I seen of friends NB doesn’t give a F. You got Pizzeria Mozza but you probably already go to Mozza at Highland and Melrose

Costa Mesa has better options especially for Japanese, and more north you have a good selection of Vietnamese, Korean, and Mexican.

1 Like

to be more specific, looking for a nice place for a birthday dinner in newport (or adjacent OC) for some family that is in town. Good and safe covid practice most important (i know this is orange county, but hopefully somewhere good). High end is OK.

Marche Moderne in Crystal Cove, Five Crowns in CDM, Il Barone in Newport Beach, and Vaca near South Coast Plaza (if that is not too far afield). I know Knife Pleat is also open but have not seen how it is handling seating.

Gulfstream

Nobu

Playa Mesa

Marche Moderne

Settebello

Settebello’s Crystal Cove location went “bello” up about a year ago.

1 Like

Yikes! How does this place not make it?

This. One of our current favorites. We usually go for brunch and sit at the bar (carnitas chile verde benedict is outstanding, as are the chilaquiles), but the dinner menu is awesome, too.

2 Likes

We were recently invited for pizza by a Mich* chef who ordered from Pitfire on 17th. I was stunned at how good it was!

The Big Sur is one of my favorites anywhere. So damn satisfying.

Where and what is that? I don’t see it on a menu.

I believe Jason Neroni was behind that many years ago. American Gonzo food owns them & superba

Damn it for real? I passed by that all the time and it’s just down the block from Sidecar and Hi-Time. I just thought it was another custom pizza place

Big Sur pizza. This is not on the pitfire menu?

Imgur

What in the hell is that?!? Me want that.