Nobody cooks in LA

Your suitcase is bigger than the "kitchen ".

2 Likes

Damn near :slight_smile: But there is a four burner cooktop, no oven, a “dorm fridge,” a MW. We cooked breakfast just about every day and dinner maybe three or four times a week. But we’re cheap :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We may be in the same space. :wink:

When travelling, we’d always drooled when scoping supermarkets. We finally booked a hotel in Tokyo with a “kitchenette”. Walked to a supermarket a block away, and did our best to not overfill our shopping basket.

Supermarket sushi.

Packaged ramen, complemented with various stuff (fresh squid tentacles, asparagus, ham, shitake, scallions).

Kobe beef, stir fried with beautiful asparagus, and scallions.

Getting ready to “chef”.

6 Likes

Will this site just let me say “WOW”?!?!?!?

3 Likes

Oh wow!!!

2 Likes

Wow

1 Like

I agree that we are incredibly lucky with both the ethnic grocery stores in LA and our farmers market. I remember when we moved to Baltimore, the last farmers market was in December, and can’t remember when they started up again. I also grow veggies in my backyard and my whole 'hood is loaded with oranges and lemon and lime trees and persimmon trees (it’s an old Japanese 'hood - some of the homes sit on former nurseries.) The small Mexican grocery store which is walking distance specializes in food from Oaxaca, and I have 3 Japanese grocery stores close by, including one that has lots of Hawaiian items. I shop for groceries in K-town and SGV and I go to a market in Thai Town to load up on coconut milk and frozen stink beans. I get my Italian items from Guidi Marcello, (though we had a great Italian store in B’more) I get amazing German sausages from European Deluxe Sausage, I get frozen tripe and bison and lamb tongue from BuyRanchDirect at the SM farmers market. I love my butchershop, A Cut Above. Most nights, we eat in. For every recipe I make, there are 10 more I want to try! Tonight is short ribs, Italian style, slow cooked with Saba and porcini mushrooms. One dish we’ve been doing a lot lately, since my husband got his Nordic Cookbook, is skin-on pork roast. Leave the roast in the fridge, salted for a day or two before you cook it, add 4 cups of water to the roasting pan, cook it at 400 F until the meat reaches 145 degrees and the skin gets amazingly crisp!

4 Likes

I bought a really nice whole wheat loaf at Lodge Bread and decided to make my Japanese take on avocado toast.

7 Likes

Looks absolutely beautiful , Malady .

2 Likes

That is the most beautiful avocado toast I have ever seen.

3 Likes

So there’s no avocado there? It does look scrumptious.

1 Like

Aww, thank you so much, @Emglow101 @Bookwich @catholiver! Believe it or not, there’s quite a bit of avocado under that raft of toppings. It’s peeking out on the edges of the toast.

Oh, yes, upon close inspection, I see it. Drool worthy.

1 Like

Fancy! I that purple daikon? did you pickle it or raw?

1 Like

It’s a purple radish from Whole Foods. The embarrassing thing is that I was too short to reach them. I had to ask some random guy to help me out.

I didn’t pickle them, but that would be a great idea. I just sliced them on a mandoline.

1 Like

Chibi :wink: just teasing -Looks really delish. Maybe some yuzukosho on the avocado? I just ate homemade ravioli but your picture is making me hungry!

2 Likes

Ha, I am a chibi! I’ll definitely try it with yuzukosho tomorrow - great idea! I have a jar squirreled away in the back of the fridge.

Okay, I’m jealous of your homemade ravioli. Sounds fab!

Let’s see if I can upload a picture… kale and ricotta ravioli’s with grilled veg

4 Likes

That looks amazing! So many of my favorite ingredients!

@aaqjr I took your suggestion and added some dollops of yuzukosho - so good! This time I was more frugal with the other toppings, but it didn’t quite work out for me in that regard. The solution is generous toppings with some blobs of yuzukosho. Thanks for your suggestion!

Apologies for the poor lighting today.

6 Likes