October 2018 Weekend Rundown

Next time you’re in NYC, head to Harlem for Amy Ruth’s chicken and waffles. Sooo good.

http://amyruths.com/

1 Like

IMG_20181006_162331517_HDR

Had to bring dessert to a dinner party and bought an assortment from ST Patisserie. I’m not a sweets person, but everyone loved them.

10 Likes

A weekend trip to Westwood Village…IMG_1828 IMG_1826 IMG_1824 IMG_1815

7 Likes

Hi @J_L,

Ooh! A limited edition one? I love Shichida’s lineup. :slight_smile: Sounds like @bulavinaka also got that nice offering. :slight_smile:

Baldoria Bar + Kitchen

Chicken & Waffle Tacos

Charred Octopus | tender baby octopus, caramelized cipollini, charred radicchio cream sauce

Wild Funghi Conserva | shiitake, cremini, king trumpet, Bloomsdale Spinach, taleggio, gremolata

Lil Tokyo Steak | Miso marinated flat iron, yuzu kosho, shiitake, shishito, cherry tomato red onion

1 Like

Office lunch, Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen (University Park)…

Tokyo Hamburg (Koreatown)…

Potassium supplement, Apple Pan (Westwood)…

Bakmi ayam Jakarta & bakso sapi, perkedel jagung, ice teller, Ramayani (Westwood)…

11 Likes

Popeyes Hack

-Break off some chicken skin and fill it up with red beans and rice.

-Biscuit sandwich. Throw in mashed potatoes, gravy, coleslaw, chicken, every damn side

5 Likes

I don’t feel so bad about loving Popeye’s anymore.

3 Likes

Hi @J_L,

Thanks for the reminder! What are your recommended dishes at Ramayani?

Fun fact–there is a Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen at the DMZ in Korea.

3 Likes

Zam Zam:

Chicken biryani
IMG_20181014_201131
Incredible depth and breadth of flavor, super tender chicken and potatoes, amped up by some homemade(?) raita.

Beef seekh kebab
MVIMG_20181014_201338
Again - simply incomparable to any other kebab I’ve ever tried. Beyond the taste of the ingredients shining through beautifully, there’s a permeating smokiness that would sell like gangbusters if you could bottle it.

Not pictured: chicken puff pastry. Perfectly spiced, and like everything else a compete steal for the price ($1.50 per piece - they’re big).

Also got some nihari to go, but haven’t tried it yet.

11 Likes

Curry House

20181014_134134

20181014_134227

5 Likes

Update: couldn’t resist and broke it open when I got home. The nihari, like everything else, is amazing. Long-stewed, falling-apart tender beef in a rich stew-like substance. The naan, however, is even better, if such a thing is possible. It’s incredibly fluffy, but what really sets it apart is the flavor imparted by whatever magic device they use to grill it - the same flavor as in the kebabs. Could just be a regular grill, dunno. Never had anything like it before.

Need to go down there more often…

3 Likes

In that Popeye’s meal, is that rice and potatoes and biscuit? Love it!

Soup weather at Brent’s Northridge

11 Likes

I’ve had the pastrami at Katz’s. It melted in my mouth. For a moment, I thought I was Sally Albright having her famous Big O there. Found it better than Langer’s.

1 Like

Respectfully, I had the opposite reaction. Found the Langer’s sandwich to be much, much better. I feel like Sally might’ve faked it.

7 Likes

Did you eat the bread?

2 Likes

I swallowed the whole thing.

2 Likes

if you found that bread to be awesome then more power to yah.

2 Likes