September 2018 Weekend Rundown

Al pastor at Leo’s Wilmington truck.

8 Likes

Shakshuka with chorizo, served with challah, from Bread Lounge (Arts District)… #almostkosher

After taking media artist Refik Anadol’s new ‘WDCH Dreams’ projection piece at Disney Hall, I made a beeline for Button Mash (Echo Park), because I had a date with Princess Daphne…

8 Likes

That game is so hard. Harder than Zelda 2

1 Like

Wifey’s Birthday dessert platter with lime, hojicha, and honey ginger ice cream at Shunji

7 Likes

Pho ga bac ninh—superb free range chicken, look at that skin! Broth was a tad underseason to our taste but otherwise very good.

image !

This item caught my eye. Bac ninh is in ruralish part of northern Vietnam where custom of dog meat still remains. This however is fake dog with pork hock—not the same but if anyone wants to taste what the typical seasoning would be like… it’s worth a try.
image !

5 Likes

I had that exact dish (bun gia cay) cooked for me at someone’s home in Hanoi. I liked it quite a bit!

1 Like

Shunji’s ice creams are ridiculously good, especially that lime…

2 Likes

I’d say the Lamb Pizzle Skewers are a fun draw.

same! my uncle makes it with wild texas boar–even better than your standard pork. it’s the seasoning–essentially a curry of galanga, ground sesame, fermented fish paste and few other ingredients to round out the funkiness of the dog meat/wild boar. it’s great.

Well worth the investment - I’ve posted the photos hundreds of times since consuming them once ~5 years ago.

Spicy beef empanadas from Continental Gourmet Market in Lomita. Tri-weekly snack.

5 Likes

20181003_181604
It may or may not have been spectacular.

5 Likes

ct@bf
Looks real and spectacular

20181005_181108
This may or may not have been some spectacular warm, light, and fluffy bread.

1 Like