Simone - Arts District

Thanks so much for putting your review here rather than a separate one. It makes it so much easier, IMO, to be able to read all the comments in one place.

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Probably the squash. :slight_smile:

Seems somewhat polarizing thus far! Does the vibe make it feel like a NorCal tasting menu restaurant (on the serious side)?

I made my resie for late October to give things time to settle in.

1 Like

Based on the menu it felt more like one of the many “california cuisine” alc garden-forward one-michelin sf restaurant that could have been plucked right out of the mission e.g. al’s place, common wealth, lord stanley, octavia, the progress

2 Likes

I read the menu and also thought of San Francisco.

2 Likes

What did you like about the bread and butter? Have you tried the $8 baguette and normandy butter at republique or the $6 bing with cultured butter and honey at majordomo? Curious how they compare. $10 is probably the most I’ve ever seen for bread and butter. Thanks.

1 Like

Or the baguette with buerre de barrette and shmaltz butter at rose cafe. 7.5$

Baguette et beurre, $3, Petit Trois… Pretty effin’ great.

4 Likes

i definitely have to try Petit Trois. Someone recently told me that Petit Trois makes a perfect omelet as well.

2 Likes

Shmaltz butter – that sounds really great!

3 Likes

That person be telling the truth. This gorgeousness at Petit Trois is straight out of Jacques Pepin’s school of French country mastery… No frill, no fuss - Just straight up smashmouth superb French execution from the kitchen:

8 Likes

$3? I thought it was “free”. And yes it’s fucking great.

3 Likes

The sourdough bread at Simone was just perfection - perfect crust, perfect crumb, perfect flavor. The whipped butter had a delicious tang and was a huge portion – my dining companion took it home (I didn’t want to be tempted the next morning, but if you were feeling decadent that butter would have been insane the next morning on a homemade muffin).

I have not had the baguette and Normandy butter at Republique nor the Bing and cultured butter and honey at Majordomo, so I can’t compare. But the Simone sourdough bread is definitely a different animal from either your classic baguette or from a bing. Different texture, different flavor.

The closest I can come to compare with what I am seeing is apparently the new restaurant trend of selling bread and butter is the $7 bread and butter I recently had at the over-hyped La Mercerie in NYC. I ordered it at La Mercerie because I thought, “wow it must be special if they are putting it on the menu for $7” and it was not. Just some ordinary baguette and a butter that I actually found nauseating.

Not sure who developed the sourdough bread recipe at Simone – the waiter gave some kind of explanation, but I didn’t pay attention – but with that same person, I can’t imagine that the restaurant couldn’t produce greatness on its dessert menu, unless bread-making is a completely different skill set than dessert (perhaps in my naïveté, I think baking is baking). I hated the one dessert I did try at Simone.

4 Likes

Now I really want to go to Petit Trois. Do they take reservations at the one on Highland? If not, what is the wait situation, particularly for weekend lunch?

Fair disclosure: The baguette photo and omelette photos are from Petit Trois Le Valley, not Highland. BUT the PT Highland kitchen is just as solid. Seating is brasserie-style (no reservations).

1 Like

Me too. They even give me extra to take home with my leftovers sometimes.

1 Like

I slightly prefer the baguette at Republique but both are definitely in the upper echelon of breads in the city.

1 Like

Just quoting the official price on the Petit Trois menu, in case one orders extra bread a la carte…

The omelette is super amazing!
And I thought the bread and butter was “free,” too…but it’s been quite a while since I’ve been to Petit Trois. They offered it to us when we sat down at the counter. I don’t remember seeing it on the bill when I paid.
I’m not sure I can pick a winner between Petit Trois and Republique…I adore the bread service at both.

3 Likes

I see it now. Looks like it’s $3 with some jam for breakfast and brunch and “free” at lunch and dinner.

3 Likes