Summer fun… . .eating and drinking in SD!

Roberto’s was fantastic. Great carne asada burritos and crunchy tacos. We’ll definitely be back.

Wanted to hit up the Brigantine after the races but the kids were tired so we went back to the hotel.

We also didn’t have a chance to go to TinLeaf or Beach Plum. The kids were swimming until 8pm each night so had food from the marketplace at La Costa. The food is much better here than when we came 2 years ago. Burger and pizza are much better than other resort food we’ve had.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like

IMO, the 2 Roberto’s in Del Mar/Solana Beach are exceptional vs the other Roberto’s…
Food kicks ass and craving it right now!

Glad you and the kids had fun at La Costa…the food has stepped up its game in the last couple of years.

Were you winner chicken dinner at the :horse_racing:

Used my groupon for $20 paid $10 bucks at Supernatural Sandwiches yesterday…

Damn, forgot how good those fish sandwiches are!
DH had the calamari with green apple slaw on Brioche bun and I had the Nessie which was local halibut on brioche bun.

Garlic fries, which BTW, needs more damn garlic!l!!

I’ve had 2 stellar meals in the last few days.

Last Friday night - Banker’s Hill Restaurant.
We walked in without reservations at close to 8 pm. They were busy, but not slammed and had a table for us.
Cocktails - a tequila reposado negroni and the punch of the day, which was tequila based. Both were very good, quite refreshing and not overly sweet.
Apps - Spicy Glazed Brussels Sprouts and the Watermelon Salad. The watermelon salad was outstanding, the Brussels were okay, but more sweet than spicy and kind of tough. There was absolutely nothing really wrong with the dish, but compared to everything else we ate they were something of a let down.
Entree - we were splitting everything and split the entree as well. The Chicken Schnitzel was over the top delicious. Chicken breast pounded thin, breaded and deep fried and then served on top of some of the tastiest jalapeño mashed potatoes ever. Sauteed veg along side and a nice creamy bit of sauce over the chicken.

Portions are on the large side, even the apps. Even with sharing all 3 plates I still ended up taking leftovers home, and they were just as good the next day.

Last Night - The Red Door
If you haven’t been to the Red Door you really owe it to yourself to do so. It’s one of the few certifiable farm-to-table, sustainable restaurants in the city. The menu is small and well thought out. Service could have been a bit better, but the food was excellent.
Drinks - white wine for my friend, red for me
Apps - we both had the Shrimp Skewers that came with roasted carrots and sauteed greens, all of which was arranged on what is probably the best black bean puree I’ve ever eaten, and I’ve eaten a lot of black beans. As my friend commented…this was so good if I’d been at home I would have picked up the plate and licked it clean. I have to agree, this is one of the best shrimp dishes I’ve eaten in a long time.
Entrees - my friend had the Mushroom Hodgepodge which is a melange of mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, shallots and other vegetables. She liked it but took at least a third of it home because the portion was huge. I wanted something light so I had the Butter Lettuce Caprese Salad. The salad was composed of 3 butter lettuce cups which were filled with juilenned cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes and chiffonade of basil. It was topped with crumbled feta and drizzled with a balsamic dressing. It turned out to be the perfect salad for a hot day. I would have preferred a vinaigrette to the balsamic as it would have made the salad even lighter, but that’s only personal preference, there was nothing wrong at all with the balsamic dressing.

Go forth and eat. I ate well at both meals and neither one cost me more than $60 including drinks, food, tax and generous tip.

And I’ll toss this little tidbit in…
If you live in the Mission Valley area, you know there isn’t much in the way of dining options and this won’t be one either ;-). But there is a little wine bar called the Remedy in the apartment complex across the street from Living Spaces. They offer a small menu of beer, wine, bruschetta-style tapas, charcuterie and salads. Monday night is Trivia night. The place fills up with regulars, the game is competitive but friendly and it’s a rather fun way to spend an part of the evening.

1 Like

If I recall, our beloved curmudgeon, Fakey, really liked the Red Door too.
I believe he is serving 2-5 for white loafers after Labor Day.

Have you been to Red O yet?

xoxo

1 Like

I see Fakey all the time on the Interwebs. I take it that you don’t Facebook? :slight_smile:

I was trying to decide where to go for lunch today, and your Red Door review was just what I needed to help me decide. I think this place is better for dinner, though. The menu at lunch is limited, service was sluggish, and for the most part the food was just OK.

I ordered the short rib sandwich and a glass of house chardonnay (Gold Crush).

The meat was tasty enough and tender, although some might find it too salty. Unfortunately, the bun was much too soft for a “moist” sandwich like this one, even when cut in half. I had to eat it with knife and fork. The small side salad that came with it was largely arugula and baby spinach, with oil/vinegar. Very fresh. The wine was fine.

They’re in the process of installing awnings, which is good, because my desirable window seat was already about to get into the afternoon sun when I left at about half past two.

I was a bit put off when the server came to clear my table, especially after hearing laughter coming from the kitchen as I waited – and waited – and there was only one other table with customers at the time. That was bad enough, but I’d pretty much “cleared my plate”, and when the server finally arrived, she said, trying to be humorous: “Do you want to lick it?”. Which is almost word for word an early-on line in one of my all-time favorite movies, “Body Heat”. Of course she meant “lick the plate”, but I didn’t find it humorous. (Perhaps she got “lick the plate” in her mind after reading your review? Whatever.)

Then, after she brought the check, the server bumbled out: “Have a nice weekend, rest of the week – all that stuff”. Not at all classy.

Speaking of “farm-to-table”, by the way, I was sorry to hear that Suzie’s Farm is going away.

Facebook?!?!
Why in the hell would I put my real given name out in the world, for everyone to see?
My company is very active on FB, twitter, instagram etc but having a DofSM, being me, I would never suggest to put me out there…

But, I do like to browse through others FB to see what they are up to…especially Fakey!!
:tongue:

I’m a full blown conspiracy theorist…

I’m with you on this, BC. Anonymity is the cornerstone of this type of discussion board. In fact, I don’t do Facebook at all. (My companion seems glued to it sometimes, though.) So I have no friends… [sob].

1 Like

You can always can count on me :unicorn: as your friend!
:ocean::hatched_chick:

1 Like

Couple of weeks before the :racehorse: at Del Mar. .

Hitting up Ponsaty’s in the ranch, Pony Room, Red Tracton’s in the bar and of course, Bully’s and a quesadilla with guac for the ride home with all my winnings!
:bouquet:

Be careful with your betting or you’re going riding home on the 308 and that quesadilla is going to be from TB

Little over a week away from Opening Day at Del Mar. If you do go, and plan to knock back a few, please Uber, the sheriffs just love to bust impaired drivers. The track did run out of alcohol at last years opening day, so you can guess what volume of booze that crowd went through. They will have some food related events which are always fun, however they can get crowded. They will have food truck day, along with BBQ, burgers and pizza days. Brian Malarkey will have his special brunch up in the turf club on Sundays. It is pretty pricey but it would be an elegant way to spend a Sunday. My fave, is daybreak at Del Mar on Saturdays and Sundays.

1 Like

La Fayette Hotel, charcuterie and cheese plate. This was surprisingly good. Petite basque and Humbolt Fog, Geneva salami (venison and Berkshire pork). Even the bread was surprisingly good. A nice, summery place to watch the homerun derby before one last dive into the pool.

2 Likes

I really like their Char Siu sliders.

Looks absolutely fabulous Book .

Excellent. My cousin should try that before she returns to the old country. Tomorrow’s happy hour snack will be char sui sliders.

Aloha little stevie!
Never drive while impaired, my DH is my chauffer…or we would uber/lyft or car service.
Opening Day falls on Hall & Oats concert but in my younger days, when Opening Day was a must at the Turf Club, all gussied up, sneaking in through the kitchen door, those were good times!

Craving the food and vibe from Red Tracton’s…
Friday’s are fun with the concerts.

Only bet what you can lose and being the ultimate optimist, I’m always a winner!
:tongue::racehorse::game_die:

What! You are not seeing the Eagles and the Doobes this weekend at Dodger Stadium