T’is BLT time, Post your favs

Both are currently off the menu but Gjelina Takeaway and Rose Cafe do excellent BLTs.

On the menu at GTA yesterday! I didn’t take a photo but it was as good as ever.

1 Like

Nice! I had one at Gjusta the other day too. It was very good, though made with arugula, which I don’t like quite as much as lettuce. What makes the sandwich for me at both Gjusta and GTA is the lemony aioli they use. Much lighter and more flavorful than any other aioli I’ve ever tried.

6 Likes

Just had the BLT at Clementine.
It’s of the OG variety. Thin, toasted sourdough. Stack o’ ‘berg, layer of crispy bacon, smear of mayo.
There is nothing here that’s amped up or “interesting.” It just . . . is. And it’s also just very good.
Accompanied by a few of their excellent deviled eggs, it was a completely unsurprising and satisfying lunch.

If you want a basic BLT, this is a great choice.

5 Likes

The BLT at Highly Likely is very good.

But alas, the tomatoes are roasted, the bread is focaccia (Bud and Grandma’s, no less) and the dressing is Kewpie.

I suck. I’m sorry.

That sounds like a great BLT. It’s got all good components and it doesn’t have an egg, which would have made it an egg sandwich. But maybe I’m weird that way. I’ll have to try it on my way to work tomorrow.

What type of bread does a BLT need to come on to qualify?

I say any or even none since it’s not part of the acronym. In theory you could even have a BLT wrap … in theory.

It’s pretty good. It would be better if i didn’t get it as take out. Next time though, I’d have them leave off the avocado.

1 Like

I’m glad it met with your approval, at least partially.

I really think roasted tomatoes should be de rigueur for BLTs.

Agreed. Sourdough is probably the most common (or plain old white bread). I also like them on rye or pumpernickel

I like a nice roasted tomato, but I also like the freshness of a raw tomato. I’m inconsistent. What can I say?
What I really want is for the tomatoes to be salted in advance. Almost like a quick marination. A lot of the tomatoes in BLTs are under-seasoned.

Yes, that’s why I think roasted tomatoes are the way to go, especially when buying a BLT.

If making a BLT at home, and one has access to homegrown tomatoes, then raw fresh tomatoes would be just as good.

1 Like

Focaccia just looks so, so wrong for a BLT…

1 Like

Maybe this should go under FTC Confessions.

One of my favorite versions is the kind served by smaller “delis” and sandwich shops; served on a (good) French or Italian roll, lots of mayo, extra bacon, and shredded iceberg, avocado is optional. Unfortunately, the tomatoes are the weak link on that version.

1 Like

For some reason this thread has me on a BLT kick.

Today’s contender was from Black Hogg.

Very traditional. No avocado, no egg, just good thick bacon, and some treated tomatoes, romaine lettuce and mayo. The flavors of that bacon really shine through.

2 Likes

What was the bread situation?

The usual. French crusty baguette.

Sprouts has bacon on sale this weekend.

Don’t @ me but … I prefer tomato jam to either fresh or roasted tomato.

Also, does anyone know where to get packaged Nueske bacon in the LA area? I get it sliced from a slab at Cut Above but it’s a little pricey.