Tacos 1986 - New Tijuana-style stand w/ trompo in Hollywood

Maybe “doesn’t like” is too strong for my experience there, but I was luke warmabout the place. Our family went about 2-3 years ago for dinner and haven’t been back since. I don’t recall exactly what was ordered but we covered different parts of the menu - a fair sampling.

And what Mexican restaurant do you love ? Out of curiosity

Holbox = Love

4 Likes

Second that!

Where else in the city should we open?

I’m waiting in Palmdale - plenty of free parking.

1 Like

Open on fairfax brother ;p

Well be at 9077 santa monica blvd tonight if you want to come by, in addition to the k town spot.

Thanks again for all the love and support!

Any comment on the multiple reports of raw meat slicing off the trompa and finished on griddle? by all accounts that’s mad gross . also looking forward to the brick and mortar with all that entails

Is it really better than Tire Shop/Los Poblanos?

We’re going to officially not take a position on this and let people with their weird mouths decide for themselves :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is the pop up at troubadour a regular occurrence? Or just one night only?

why is that gross? As long as the meat gets cooked…

raw is mixing in with the cooked and extra charred on the flat top… definite contamination risk going down, it’s much harder to ensure that all is cooked through in a pile on flat top while they’re super busy. every normal trompa and shawarma peels off cooked meat. when i saw it was quite odd to see.

what? that’s not how it works.

There is no contamination risk if you are throwing raw meat on a hot griddle. If you are chopping up raw meat with cooked meat on the same cutting board, sure, but from what I gather, that’s not what’s happening.

if you have cooked meat on top of which half raw meat lands and ideally you’re supposed to rotate and cook through, if the pile is big enough that this doesn’t happen, especially when super busy is what i’m calling gross… i saw it. didn’t like it. not saying they’re always doing this… but saw others comment on the same. i still enjoyed my tacos and didn’t get sick for the record. pork is scary tho

I agree with you that that is not good food handling, but why do you think pork is particularly scary? It’s not processed like chicken in the US.

i suppose it’s hearsay, i’m under impression that pork needs to be cooked to temp because it has the potential to carry much more dangerous parasites

Yeah that’s partially myth, I think what you might fear is trichinosis that can be spread through meat eating animals. From what I’ve read back in the day pigs were allowed to be fed whatever including runoff, meat scraps, and fecal matter which allowed for a high prevalence of worms and other nasty shit. Apparently trichinosis is basically non-existent any more, so like beef, lamb, and other meat the source and handling is more important than any pathogen within the meat itself.

It surprises me that you’ve never encountered rare cooked pork before, as I recall you seem to be a pretty big fan of Chi Spacca and the giant pork tomahawk is definitely served medium rare/rare.

1 Like

Yes . I’ve had very rare before at a couple of places but they were pretty and pricy and The assumption is that theyre sourcing great neat. Doesn’t look that appealing in a dark parking lot however. Thanks for the insight