The Bang Bang Thread

Ok I’m going to sound like a broken record, but Saison in SF had some great caneles for dessert. They’ve since rotated them out, but they were a fantastic end after a good soufflé. I had some great ones in Paris at local bakeries whose names I don’t remember (wasn’t one of the destination places like Genin); it’s been a while. Madame Monsieur in LA has some pretty good ones. I’m due for another LA visit soon, then I can properly contribute to this Bang-Bang thread.

3 Likes

Okay, but now that I think about it, I do like an eclair better than the other desserts mentioned. I’m a sucker for pastry with oozing custardy stuff and a slick of dark chocolate on top. :fist:t4: And I don’t mean that in a sexual way… but you guys will take it anyway you want.

1 Like

Is sasion still serving the minature versions of the caneles for dessert? I thought the flavor was good but the whole exterior to interior texture ratio was thrown off with such a small size.

1 Like

The hazelnut eclair was really good as well.

…of course it is.

#The :poop: :fire: Bang Bang

#Jitlada
crispy morning glory salad - deep-fried morning glory topped with shrimp in a spicy house dressing
Perfect balance of sweetness and heat from the dressing, cruchiness from the fried morning glory and freshness from the shrimp.

crying tiger pork - marinated pork with spicy sauce on the side
Delicious

plaa pear - deep fried red snapper fish fillets with dried coconut and curry sauce topped with crispy basil
Crispy goodness.

pumpkin soft-shell crab - deep fried soft-shell crab in a dry Southern curry with pumpkin
Eat the crab in the middle covered with the curry first, lest you eat soggy flaccid crab.

tamarind tiger prawns - grilled tiger prawns with sweet tamarind sauce
The prawns were slightly overcooked but still solid.

#Dave’s Hot Chicken
This place is literally in a parking lot in the middle of Thai town with only two tables and about ten chairs. They were a bit disorganized opening up 30 minutes late. I tried both mild and hot, the hot was about a howling ray’s medium level, but it didn’t have the different flavor notes of howlin ray’s, all i tasted was hot. The chicken was moist and juicy with a slight crunch. The kale slaw was surprisingly good, fries were forgettable.

But my biggest issue is their sanitation. They’re already cooking in a dirty parking lot so I would think they would be extra careful, but I watched as the main guy preparing everybody’s food walks over to adjust the gate and a dirty extension cord they have lying on the ground and without changing gloves goes back to preparing the food. And the guy handling all the money is also touching all the food too. I was hoping to get :fire: :poop: from the spices not norovirus, thanks.

tenders, fries, kale slaw

5 Likes

Nice to see an update with pix on Jitlada. I haven’t gone back for years as I found the service slow and severely lacking. I wasn’t expecting 3-star white glove, and know what to expect at Asian eateries, but… Also felt the seafood didn’t taste fresh (being nice) to me on the second/last try.

What’s your overall take and how was the service?.

3 Likes

I know. Sometimes it’s hard to tell because his pictures are so pretty. It all looks so great @PorkyBelly. Once again, just what I would order.

2 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:394, topic:4560”]
the main guy preparing everybody’s food walks over to adjust the gate and a dirty extension cord they have lying on the ground and without changing gloves goes back to preparing the food. And the guy handling all the money is also touching all the food too.
[/quote]Such an issue of mine :rage:. Well, probably everyone’s. I’d be that irritating person who said something. FYI - amongst the other things they did, money touching and food touching is a health code violation! I thought it couldn’t be the same person.

2 Likes

Gross.

I have done a bang bang while sick with the stomach flu/peeing out of my butt.

Crackers in Bed.
Gatorade On The Toilet.

4 Likes

Feelin’ for you - hope you’re well soon. Your posts are gold from mines.

I know. Sometimes I find myself trying things and going places because of a FTC discussion or rec. Things I would never have done in my former life. So far, no real troubles, but still…

1 Like

Stay healthy, you holiday weekend bang bangers.

Everything tasted fresh to me but the QPR is low. The service is still lacking with a holier than thou attitude, I felt like i was at beijing pie house in the sgv.

2 Likes

#The Smorgasburg Bang Bang

#TJ’s Tacos
Vietnamese tacos. These were okay, I thought these would be like a banh mi in taco form but they weren’t. My favorites were the chicken and beef.

marinated beef, cilantro, onion salsa, creamy hot sauce

marinated chicken, cucumber, pickled vegetables, shiso leaf, Asian BBQ sauce

shrimp, lettuce, cucumber, bean sprouts, mint, anchovy-pineapple sauce

#Mama Musubi

unagi musubi - broiled freshwater eel, daikon, Japanese BBQ glaze
spam musubi - pan grilled spam drizzled with sweet soy glaze
Both were solid, not too sweet, and slightly crisped nori.

#Workaholic
45 minutes of my life and $22 wasted. Instagram gimmick that belongs in the 9th circle of hell with the likes of raindrop cake, and ramen burger. The top of the dumplings were inedible and was like eating dried out Play-Doh. The bulgogi was sickly sweet, the shrimp was pretty non-existent, pork was forgettable. Avoid. #whitedumplingsmatter

spicy pork and kimchi - pork, grilled onions, spicy gochujang marinade, grilled kimchi, sweet potato noodle, green onions, red beet pocket

shrimp and garlic - shrimp, roasted garlic, grilled onions, house herb seasoning blend, sweet potato noodle, green onion, carrot pocket

beef bulgogi - Angus Beef, house bulgogi marinade, sweet potato noodle, bean sprouts, green onions, purple cabbage pocket

#Nomad Truck

Soft Serve - milk and honey with honey-oat shortbread, milk meringue and brittle
Still the best thing on the menu

8 Likes

Thanks for the warning @PorkyBelly. I still need to make it out to the Nomad Truck. :slight_smile:

That chicken burger is pretty amazing. I think I had a Bahn mi chicken burger last time a couple weeks back. Really really good. Will have to try the soft serve

3 Likes

That chicken burger has some nice culinary finessing with the distinct flavors going on.

2 Likes

Is this the Nomad Truck you all are talking about? I have to admit I avoided their chicken burger because it looks kinda blah in pics. Another reminder not to judge a book by its cover?

1 Like

The chicken patty itself is really juicy, flavorful and holds together well. Nomad usually has a guest chef do the burger toppings

2 Likes