The Bang Bang Thread

Most unfortunate. How would you change Moruno’s menu?

They are a bar, have more bar foods that are shareable. Also more freedom, like selling individual skewers or 1/4 chicken instead of half or full rotisserie chicken.

I like that they have a small butternut squash, it was the perfect size. More of that would be great. Make a smaller version of the subMoruno so that you can get that and a size of squash for under $20.

Right now, a subMoruno and small squash is $22. I think a smaller version of the sandwich and a side of squash at $16 would be great.

2 Likes

Luv2Eat - Jade Noodles

As I was crying into my bowl of “spicy” level jade noodles (which wasn’t really, I had to add a considerable amount), I just kept on thinking how superior this version was to Sapp’s. Sure it was 50% more expensive than Sapp, but not once while I was eating did I think “damn that extra $3.50 was so not worth it”

Philz Coffee - iced mint mojito

Heading back towards the 101, my mouth was on fire and I desperately needed a drink. God himself parted the clouds and the light shone down upon Philz coffee, so I had to stop by for a mint mojito. Save the $4 on the Thai iced tea and go here for a drink instead; my tongue (and lips) feel a lot better now.

5 Likes

Nice. I’ll have to remember to order it next time, thanks. :slight_smile:

TOTALLY off-topic but why do SoCal’ers call it THE 101 and THE 5?!? :wink:

heh. this drives my family that doesn’t live in california cuckoo.
“why do you put a ‘the’ in front of the freeway name?'”

I drive on the freeway, therefore I drive on the 101. It makes hella sense.

4 Likes

NorCal’ers don’t use “THE” either.

Google is my friend!!!

2 Likes

many thanks for the link. fascinating stuff.

I agree. Fun reading. Now we know :slight_smile:

What’s with the ‘hella’ in NoCal?

1 Like

What’s “hella”? Never heard the word.

Well, ya got that one right. Bar Moruno is closing.

The interwebs is a friend to all…

Wikipedia to the rescue!

THANKS! Although I liveD there when it originated and for years after I’ve never heard of it.

Another SoCal term is “Cali” for the state not the city in Colombia.

I’ve personally never heard anyone from So Cal call it Cali. It’s always people from other states.

1 Like

Cali is most definitely used by locals at least when I grew up in Los Angeles County in the 90’s. No one cared back then about the term but now people consider it as a sign of people from out of state/transplants?

When did this happen? Enlighten me.

It’s always been used in particular by Latinos, Blacks, Samoans, and Asians/Flips in the hood. Some have it on tats even. I remember white stoner-skater kids using the term too, think Huntington Beach-LBC area. Gangs and “crews”/____ “pride” were big in the 90’s, divided by race and/or hood, or hobbies (skaters, taggers, DJ’s, b-boy)

And LA’s most famous adopted son once said…“thinking Cali just fun and bitches, better learn about the dress code, B’s and C’s, all them other copycats these is G’s, I love Cali like I love women, because every n***a in LA got a little bit thug in them”.

Things change I guess. But I’ll be dammed if some cornball from Tumbleweed Bumfuk, USA tells me I shouldn’t use that term.

1 Like

Cali

-So Cal native.

I’ll be your first.

Well, I’m South Asian and have only lived in “Cali” for 17 years, so apologies for my sheltered existence.

I too have only heard people not from SoCal use the term “Cali.”

2 Likes