What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

Yeah made my way over to his resto shortly after reading the article. But at $20+ a pop… Kinda expensive.

The purveyor was featured on a recent episode on Andrew Zimmern, Faroe Island I believe.

Maybe different but can get a whole plate of split and grilled langoustinos at piccolo Paradiso on Beverly. Fresh and tasty and they have em most days.

i’ve always felt bartolotta is one of the most underrated restaurants
in the country.
i’ve had few meals as good as the ones i’ve had there.

I cry UNCLE!

This one here, I enjoyed all over Barcelona, #kingoftapas

where’s bartollato ???

is that the las vegas restaurant with the fresh fish flown in from fucking Italy by the pound ???

thanks man.

I know that I might get flamed for loving a Yelp favorite, but I really truly enjoy Burma Superstar in the Bay Area. I’m frankly surprised, given the success of the small chain, that nobody (including Burma Superstar) has brought a similar idea to fruition down here. The popularity of Burmese food is a no brainer to me – similar to Thai food in some ways, but more colorful, layered and complex. Done right, I feel like it should be the next “big thing” down here. Similarly, there is a great Indonesian place in Berkley called Jakarta that I have been on a mission to find something akin to locally, with no success. I have sought out and had some success finding Indo food in OC (where I reside), and there are a handful of places offering some Burmese options, but they are rather hole-in-the-wall-ish (actually, come to think of it, Jakarta in Berkley is kind of a hole-in-the-wall, though you can order an Indo beer ;). I’m fairly adventurous, but it can be daunting to walk into a place and have no idea what you are ordering. Hole-in-the-wall places certainly have their place, but I think Burma Superstar really opened the door to a lot of people who would not otherwise be inclined to venture into a Burmese restaurant. I know that there are detractors of just such a thing. And some likely despise it’s hipster appeal. I myself enjoy that the place has some ambiance and that I can get a really interesting cocktail to go with my really interesting meal. In a way, it sort of is the gringo-ification (if you will) of the cuisine. I don’t mean dumbing down the flavor of the food, because I think that has remained intact. I just mean making it more accessible to the non-indigenous eater. I think the hipsters and Yelpsters are on to something with Burmese and Indo cuisine and I, for one, wish there were more options in our area.

Saison is just absurdly expensive period.

There are 2 places in LA where I’ve seen them.

Marche Moderne in OC. I get them every time they’re in. 2 large ones, sweet, usually paired porcini or truffles and pasta.

Vertical Wine Bistro in Pasadena. Part of the best bang for the buck chilled seafood tower in town. We usually add an extra order of langoustines. These towers are insanely generous. Any other restaurant in town would charge 2-2.5x for it. I always wonder if they’re losing money on the tower.

Yeah. Think it’s at the Wynn

Mr_JJ…do you live in LA? I just called a few local TJs and they all said they used to carry them but haven’t for years. Which TJs did you see them at, and how recently did you see them? Thanks in advance.

Curds don’t travel very well, unless they’re refrigerated from dairy to store (especially in our seemingly never-ending summer heat), which is why it’d be nice if some local dairy started to make them.

yes, and been a while but did a poutine night last year (or so) and gottem from TJ Fairfax/3d. sorry this is so elusive.

You can read my Barcelona and Madrid trip reports on Chowhound.
We are going to Portland in a few days and while researching I came up with a few places that offered tasting menus for under $100. A few are Castagna, Holdfast dining, Nomad PDX, Nodoguro, Langbaan.
San Francisco has plenty of new affordable tasting menus such as Progress, Al’s place, Aster.

I have seen them in stores at my local Haggen as recently as two weeks ago. You may want to give them a holler.

Worth a shot.

I’ll have to hurry all Haggen’s in California are closing (Gelson’s and Smart & Final have bought most locations) The Santa Monica/Ocean Park Store near me is becoming a Gelson’s soon).

1 Like

What LA doesn’t have are moderately priced restaurants in the $50 price range for a couple that not only has good food but good service.I love the low brow eats we have in the city but I’d like to see it translated into a real dining experience.

1 Like

yup, kevin, that’s the place.

Curdfiends: you CAN find them in Los Angeles, just not locally-sourced. Moreplease (who runs the excellent Smoke’s Poutinerie in Hollywood) says above that he’ll sell you some, but 10+ lbs. is a bit too much of a good thing for me. But Milkfarm in Eagle Rock will bring them in from time to time–in fact, if you can get a sizable enough order together (six 8 oz. bags, if I remember correctly), they’ll special order them for you. But they’d told me that they’d be bringing them back sometime soon–check their webpage and go to “events” to see if they’re putting a pre-order together. They’re pretty good curds, too…“Squeaky Bee” curds from Beehive Cheese in Uintah, UT,

And if it ever cools down again, I’m putting in another order to The Cheesemongers Shop in Leavenworth, WA…they go into Seattle to Beecher’s (who have won American Cheese Society awards for their curds) and bring them back to their store, and you can order them online–they’re packed nicely (lots of icebags) and USPS two-day priority delivery. Be aware, though, that the quoted price is incorrect–$6/lb. is what’s listed, but they’re actually $6 per tub, which I think is 6 or 8 oz. But they’re worth it.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your replies . I enjoyed reading them all . Some of the pics I just wanted to dive through the computer screen and eat . You might have some mediocre food but there is more greatness . I think you have it all . I would love to be in L. A. food wise . Over and Out .

So 25 a person?

Englow where you at ???

Which fucking city ???

This is a dope fucking thread.