What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

More Filipino spots in Mid-Wilshire/K-town area. There used to be a good cafeteria style place many years ago, where Apollonia’s Pizza is now. But that’s it, that I know of.

Where can get this fucking delicious crab fat/brains/guts/roe/butter paired with perfect crusty sourdough to sop it all up besides swan oyster depot? #allbrainnobrawn

4 Likes

Love the Swan . Have a good time in the city .:fork_and_knife:

1 Like

I don’t understand you sometimes… Funny # though.

1 Like

God I’d love to have a place like Swan in LA.

3 Likes

Yes to Swan!

3 Likes

That seafood salad and a chowder is my go-to order. Love it. The place is so exceptional, they can even make an Anchor Steam taste great.

2 Likes

Now that looks good. Where is it?

1 Like

Up in SFO.

2 Likes

Best place to tourist watch.

Best to get some kickass gelato at Lush, walk down Polk and then just hang out in line if you really have to.

Shoot… Your picture is blank. That happens to me sometimes.

What time do you need to start waiting on line on a weekday? Going up there in a few months and my wife really loves seafood but I hate lines.

I always stand in line right before they open and go for an early lunch (there is usually a MUCH shorter line at opening time)

As @LAgirl mentioned, get there early.

Be there at 10, and you’re sort of guaranteed a spot at the counter (they open at 10:30). The closer you get to 11, the longer the wait approaches 1.5-2 hours, which is typical.

Like I said, get some gelato at Lush, then just sort of hangout.

Or just use TaskRabbit.

Thanks LAgirl and Ipse. I am totally down with gelato at 10am.

Do they have tables if I am forced to bring my kids or only counter seating?

Counter only.

Bring cash.

If you get there at 10, don’t need to get gelato (get it afterwards, as Lush opens at noon on weekdays)

…also the line also closes 90 minutes-to an hour before closing…and usually by 3:30 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. The restaurant closes at 5pm daily (closed Sunday).

Last time I went was at 11:00 and there was a huge line. I was solo though so I walked right in and grabbed a single empty stool at the bar squeezed in between other groups.

1 Like

I have pestered Hop Woo in Chinatown about Crab Roe/Fat/Guts Dish a few times.

Got a different answer each time. I know they do this dish.

Sadly most Chinese restaurant workers know I am obviously ABC, either do what Hop Woo does or respond in English when I just spoke to them in Mandarin or Cantonese. Ehhh.

I would ask around different Cantonese Seafood Houses from Chinatown to Rowland or if you got a regular spot.