100 Top-Grossing Independent Restaurants (U.S.)

According to Restaurant Business Online

How are all those branches of Joe’s Stone Crab independent?

THE NUMBER OF STEAKHOUSE ON THIS LIST: Probably explains why they keep opening up more un-needed steakhouses ‪#‎oceanprimeboston‬

1 Like

@robert – How do I know? Don’t shoot the messenger; I just published the link. Ask THEM!

The Smith is a chain, too. In fact, so are the Craft restaurants, and I recognize some other names that are chains or at least franchises. I don’t really understand their methodology. It’s still interesting, though.

[Edited:] I see they explain their methodology at the end:

“Only restaurant concepts with no more than five locations are considered
“independents” for the purpose of this list (although it’s possible a
restaurant that shares a name with a chain concept but is owned and
operated separately would qualify, as with Smith & Wollensky in New
York City).”

So wait, there are no more than 5 Carmine’s branches? I find that really hard to believe.

From the article itself:

Methodology

RB’s Top 100 ranking is a measure of the highest-grossing independent restaurants. Only restaurant concepts with no more than five locations are considered “independents” for the purpose of this list (although it’s possible a restaurant that shares a name with a chain concept but is owned and operated separately would qualify, as with Smith & Wollensky in New York City). Rankings are based on the previous year’s gross food-and-beverage sales. Information was gathered through surveys. When data wasn’t provided, sales were estimated based on public information, similar concepts and other factors.