2019 Michelin Los Angeles Bib Gourmands

Ah thanks. Is the Plate supposed to be better or worse than Bib Gourmand?

Ding ding ding!

To be honest, I donā€™t really know. It seems like The Plate could be very good food but you canā€™t get 2 course + glass of wine for under $40 like The Bib?

In short, to me:
Bib: Good food with reasonable prices
Plate: Good food

2 Likes

Iā€™m just as confused. Once my Stinkinā€™ Rose gets their third star, Iā€™ll rest easy.

2 Likes

I was out of date. There was a time when the online Michelin listings had restaurants with stars, Bib Gourmand, The Plate, and none of those, but today, The Plate means the place has no stars and you canā€™t get two courses and a glass of wine for $40 (or whatever the local cutoff is).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/08/16/the-michelin-guide-introduces-a-new-designation-but-its-no-big-prize

i try to refrain from salting on parties but these guys said mercado, thai thing and grand harbor iā€™m ded

OC got 5 whole bibs, thereā€™s probably 6-7 better bib candidates than mercado, thai thing and grand harbor in little saigon alone, god forbid you drive out into santa ana and eat something or accidentally bump into garden grove

6 Likes

Mon Dieu!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Did OC get the shaft? There are only 5 OC Bib awards.

OC is arguably the best place for Vietnamese cuisine in this country. I would have expected more from that alone. But then again, itā€™s not like there are a lot of resources covering OC. Itā€™s not like OC Register is the beacon for which to explore Little Saigon. It also didnā€™t get shafted as bad as South Bay (the NorCal OC), where I would have liked to see places like Pho Hoa Noi make the list. This tells me that these areas need to have more food media/resources. (Also Vietnamese places need to correct their service game but thatā€™s a different topic).

A couple immediately come to mind that I would like to have seen on bib gourmand in OC.
Break of Dawn
Newport Seafood (the most imitated house lobster recipe).

Also, I agree Majordomo is a bit of a surprise. From what I hear, itā€™s even more flush with unbridled creativity and inspiration within recent months than when it first opened. At least they have something to aspire to next year, not that LA restaurants should ever tailor themselves to Michelin.

2 Likes

You brought up an excellent point. If nobody knows about it, then Michelin wouldnā€™t know either since thatā€™s how they do their research!

The OC is more than just Vietnamese food. But I suppose only the likes of folks like us would only appreciate that. Itā€™s just a shame that Michelin didnā€™t try to be more thoughtful in covering the LA/OC region.

3 Likes

Star chef, L.A. marketā€¦ MDā€™s probably headed for a star, which is why itā€™s not a bib.

Sounds good, but isnā€™t that exactly what happens when Michelin comes into a community and starts wielding its influence?

1 Like

Majordomo is on the list, right between Maccheroni Republic and Manhattan Beach Post.

I stand corrected. Scan fart on my part.

1 Like

Majordomo is on bib gourmand, so it wonā€™t get a star which is what I find surprising.

Sounds good, but isnā€™t that exactly what happens when Michelin comes into a community and starts wielding its influence?

Yes, chasing stars can strip restaurants of individualism. why LA chefs should remember that the food scene developed the way it is partly because it wasnā€™t shackled by Michelinā€™s influence.

1 Like

Anyone amused that Sqirl is on the same list with Katsu-ya?

1 Like

Hereā€™s what one-star Korean food looks like:

https://www.instagram.com/bicena_seoul/

1 Like

Kinda weird that Rustic Canyon, Animal, Lukshon, Bavel, Bestia, Republique (at least I think they will?) will get stars but Majordomo doesnā€™t. I feel like they are all kind of in the same category of restaurant. Not like Michelin is adverse to giving David Chang stars either.

Maybe theyā€™re just not cheap enough for Bib Gourmand. Doesnā€™t mean theyā€™ll get stars.

Republique seems likely.

In my mind, Republique is the only restaurant on that list that clearly deserves one star, though Bavel is the most delicious of the bunch.

Based on what I had at Bavel, theyā€™re way short of the consistency required to get a star.

Given their mediocre brunch items, can they really?