2022 Mexico City recs?

Oh this is perfect, thanks! Will definitely check out

1 Like

stealing from the instagram posts of @jlee, who is currently touring it up in cdmx:
Tacos Hola El Güero for guisados (Tacos Hola El Güero desde 68 (@tacosholaelguero) • Instagram photos and videos) the guisados at this place look legit

2 Likes

He deleted is old insta handle what is his new one? Or is it private?

senor_johnny

the cdmx posts are saved https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17959868552010516/

1 Like

Yeah I think he deleted/hid his profile I can’t see the stories.

Let us know if you have good breakfast / brunch options, especially in Polanco. I had breakfast at El Cardenal ten years ago and it was memorable.

2 Likes

I’ll add El Cardenal to the list. Breakfast is currently my least developed plan, lol. (And I’ll be staying in Polanco for a bit.)

Trip starts Saturday. Currently have dinners booked at Em, Nicos, and Maximo. I am interested in the restaurant attached to Bosforo. Might check that out. I think I’ll do Sud 777 but that seems an easy reservation and I don’t want to overwhelm myself with “nice” dinners if the vibes are off and I just want to be eating tacos. Meroma and Merotoro are also high on the backup list. As for Quintonil and Pujol, I’ll scan day of, might poke my head into Quintonil in particular, see if I can beg.

Have a lunch at Esquina Comun. I also plan on walking in at Contramar, as well as Mi Compa Chava, and Expendio de Maiz, and probably Rosetta (though I did have the worst qpr meal of my life at a Rosetta pop-up in LA.)

I also have an overwhelming list of tacos that I ain’t gonna list here, lol. Just know that if you recommended them, I will likely be trying to hunt them down. (It’s an 8 day trip and literally nothing is planned save for food.)

Anybody have any last minute must eats?

2 Likes

a breakfast spot that is routinely recommended by guides and tourists is Fonda Margarita. i have no idea if it lives up to the hype, but the best beans i ever had, by several orders of magnitude to anything stateside, was at a breakfast buffet in queretaro, so i have to imagine that their beans must be pretty good since they are relatively known for them…

i tried to research tacos de canasta, but although all the ones i had were great, they also just happened to be from random vendors on the street with decent lines at the moment, so i don’t have any specific ones to recommend…

4 Likes

Yes, that’s on my list. Not a huge breakfast person, but place is so acclaimed I might give it a try!

Fonda is great not what I typically think of as breakfast but I’m also not Mexican, if you go a little later towards closing it is less busy.

For recs whatever area of town you are in just open google maps and type in “restaurant” or the type of food you’re looking for. You’ll get a lot of reviewed places and you can peruse the photos.

Just go where it’s busy and there’s people guarantee the food will taste good whether a restaurant or roadside stand/vendor.

1 Like

Good luck and have a good trip! Let us know if Pujol or Quintonil works out for you. I think we’re going to settle for Meroma and Carmela y Sal.

BTW, we also made reservations at some acclaimed bars: Licoreria Limantour, Hanky Panky, Handshake Speakeasy. I’m not a big cocktail person, but it will be interesting to try the bar rated “Best in North America” by World’s 50 Best (Licoreria Limantour).

2 Likes

Yes, I keep hearing about these bars but have such a hard time reserving bars. I want to stumble into them—not show up promptly! When are you going

1 Like

we’re going on thanksgiving. also going to Puebla (restaurant reservation El Mural de los Poblanos) and San Miguel de Allende (restaurant reservation Aperi). I figure San Miguel de Allende will be a stupid fake town like Antigua, Guatemala and Lijiang, Yunnan, but there are worse places to be.

3 Likes

I got dragged to San Miguel but was pleasantly surprised. It’s cute if sanitized. Low expectations maybe.

Not sure the food was super memorable. Think we went to Carnitas Apolo XI if you’re eating meat. And we drove to Dolores Hidalgo (Carnitas Mi Mexico) and also Guanajuato.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations!

1 Like

Np! I remember liking the coffee/beans at Lavanda, but this rec is 4years old and may be outdated.

1 Like

Thanks. I will check it out, along with Ki’bok (found on yelp). Lavanda actually looks very good.

I have a bad feeling at Aperi. Nothing is worse than bad fine dining. I’m going to nix it unless someone here says it’s good. Eater touts its “internationally celebrated tasting menu” but I can’t find such high praise anywhere else. https://www.eater.com/maps/the-18-essential-restaurants-in-san-miguel-de-allende

1 Like

Cancel San Miguel and go to Pátzcuaro.

Damn that seems like great advice.

Ugh – I missed an OpenTable waitlist notification for Pujol last night.