$400 for sushi omakase: threat or menace?

Is saying that a restaurant is so expensive that no one should ever go there tantamount to calling anyone who does an asshole?

Depends. Is the bread free at said restaurant?

11 Likes

I think that would be a stretch, imo. And with all due respect, I question the reason for this thread. If it exists specifically to poke at BYB, I don’t think it’s appropriate.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s it. He wanted a thread to discuss the prices, so… This is it :man_shrugging: and here is his opportunity to state his case.

Of course that’s not going to stop others from being flip

6 Likes

“Is saying that a restaurant is so expensive that no one should ever go there”

I never said that.

I think people are forgetting/not caring there is a real human behind these keyboards. That’s all I’m saying. It’s been feeling more and more personal and juvenile like high school…

Posters on this board have actually met each other in real life (in some cases, multiple times). We are all aware that there’s a real person behind the posts.

However, when you post, it feels very much like a one-way street. If you want people to recognize you as a person w/ real feelings, you would do well to treat other posters in the same fashion. So far, I (and I assume many others) do not see any of that from you.

Otherwise, lots of us can give as good as we get. You teach others how to treat you.

Again, JMHO.

3 Likes

All I said was that $400 was a crazy price and got attacked with a monologue of what an awful person I am and how out of touch I am. It’s verging on bullying at this point.

I think everyone should be seen as a person with real feelings regardless of I disagree with people or not.

If you looked, I criticize and look at restaurants and their food, I have not once bashed a specific person’s character or personality. It’s not about “giving as good as I get”

Seriously? This is going to be my last post on the topic and to you.

No, you were called ill-informed. And you actually are ill-informed. But no one, AFAIK, was calling you an “awful person.”

On the other thread, you, wrote, “Or apparently everyone else is just inordinately rich and able to spend these things haphazardly.” Who do you think you are to be making value judgments about how people you don’t know spend their $?

And then, in response to @itsjustfood, you wrote, “These are some of the most astounding sentences I’ve ever seen on a board. We gonna talk about out of touch?”

If you don’t consider these demeaning and personal-attacking statements, I really don’t know what else to say to you.

2 Likes

What you said was “$400 is ridiculous unless this is like the last meal of your life.”

There are people on the board who regularly spend that much or more per person, even several times in the same week.

People who spend a lot of money at restaurants aren’t necessarily rich. A regular at my old favorite San Francisco wine bar was a UPS driver. He went to every expensive restaurant in the area, wearing a T-shirt, jeans, and Chucks. Lived with his parents to save money so he could spend more on restaurants.

3 Likes

Since it seems like Robert is finally allowing me to have some responses to that initial post from before in this thread, I’ll have my thoughts about it shortly this weekend.

1 Like

I don’t know man, especially in today’s economy people would be stunned to spend $400 in their lifetime even once. Was your SF wine bar friend recently or many years ago? Today times are really tough for most people particularly with the pandemic.

I am sorry if my previous post felt like bullying. It truly was not my intention to make you feel like your opinions are not valid/valued. What I have a difficult time finding valid/valued is when you present personal opinions as judgments and absolutes that generalize food experiences for other people. Again, it is simply disrespectful.

The people you are posting to in these forums are light-years ahead of you in the breadth, categories, and price ranges of restaurants they have visited, and they still do not post with the haughty tone that you do. This is a fact. Everyone comes to this board to contribute something that may help or aid someone else. It would be great if you could do more of the same. Right now, you are kind of like the people who post one star yelp reviews without having tried a restaurant’s food.

I think a very simple way of coming off less hubristic/abrasive (trust me, you are) would be to refrain from framing your thoughts as the truth, but you are entitled to feeling like a victim and continuing on as well. If you would like concrete suggestions on how you can write so people don’t think you’re an asshole, I can provide assistance with that as well.

All in all, I was trying to help you understand why there is simply no alternative to Noz’s $400 menu with what the restaurant is attempting to accomplish. The rest of the “monologue” or “essay,” as you put it, was my vain effort at providing you with a bit of perspective.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

18 Likes

I have no doubt that’s true. Heck, I hate spending $400 on a dinner too but it’s also true that 99% of the population doesn’t care about food like most FTCers do or the fact that high end restaurants aren’t really targeting that 99% of the population either. That’s the perspective that needs to be understood.

PS. I’m definite not inordinately rich as surmised by your previous post of “apparently everyone else is just inordinately rich and able to spend these things haphazardly”. I’m just an average Joe scraping by.

13 Likes

You could even say that for FTC’ers, eating out is pretty much one of their hobbies? And as hobbies go, people tend to spend more money on those things even though the average person doesn’t.

14 Likes

Ha. Correct. Do I do anything else in life other than playing FIFA and eating out once in a life?

Back in the days, I also “haphazardly” spent $1,300 on a custom IEM as audio was my hobby. But at least the earphones have been going strong for 12 plus years…

10 Likes

Times may be tough for some people, but some restaurants that charge top prices are booked every night.

Single Thread, for example, is $425 per person before drinks, service charge, and tax. Tables for two are fully booked through the end of February except for one on Monday the 7th at 4:30.

1 Like

As with your last post, I don’t know where to start after a relatively humane first paragraph and then some of the most condescending things (once again) I’ve seen on this board. You seem to be accusing me of the exact things you’re doing.

I don’t need your advice on how to act like like less of an asshole. I could say a lot here, but I won’t. I’ll take the high road and leave it at that but will respond to your first post later.

I’m going to take a wild guess that these people spending $400 on meals weekly if not more don’t have families and children they need to support and provide for, assuming as is being stated that most here are “average joe’s” scraping by" as moonboy said.