$400 for sushi omakase: threat or menace?

High-end sushi bars get most or all of their fish from Japan, which is very expensive. They typically have a handful of seats and only one or two seatings per night. One place I went had 12 seats, one seating Tuesday through Thursday and two on Friday and Saturday, so only 84 covers a week. Service has to match the quality of the food so the ratio of staff to customers is high. To avoid losing money, that kind of place has to charge $200-250 per person. To charge $400, a place has to provide an experience that connoisseurs will consider worth the extra costā€¦

Personally I wouldnā€™t pay $400 because I donā€™t have the experience to appreciate the difference. And if Iā€™m going to spend $200 on a Japanese meal, Shibumi is more my style.

Your first two posts were:

$400?? My god.

$400 is ridiculous unless this is like the last meal of your life.

2 Likes

So then why even bother to respond? Just so you can project sh*t on to other people (I can engage in possibly erroneous mind reading just as easily as you can)?

Iā€™m engaging in a discussion b/c issues of communication and social justice/equity are literally things that I do for a living. Just like some people like to spend $400 pp on a meal, I think the things I mentioned above are fascinating.

So when BYB mentions on when thread that the chef of Holbox (which ainā€™t cheap, last time I checked) is making food ā€œfor the peopleā€ (which is totally laughable) but then blanches at the idea of a $400pp meal and then keeps on going on about it and then blames people for bullying them, that reaction is completely ridiculous.

If youā€™re not interested in a discussion about that, thatā€™s fine. But donā€™t cover it up by trying project your stuff on to me. Itā€™s probably just easier for you to mute me since you apparently donā€™t engage in conversations. ::shrug::

But, BTW, you never did point out where posters said (or even implied) a $400 pp meal was ā€œnormal.ā€

5 Likes

I see I made the right call.

1 Like

Oh, good grief. If you consider me calling people out on their sh*t to be "stirring things up,ā€™ then, yes, absolutely, I am guilty as charged.

And I will conā€™t stirring up good trouble until my dying days. :smiley:

To get this thread back on topic, what I wonā€™t be doing is going to any place thatā€™s $400 pp b/c I just think all of that would be wasted on me.

4 Likes

Great point!

ā€œAdmittedly, I didnā€™t read the entirety of the other threadā€
ā€œBut, again, I did not read the thread that closely.ā€

Well then.

ā€œSo when BYB mentions on when thread that the chef of Holbox (which ainā€™t cheap, last time I checked) is making food ā€œfor the peopleā€ (which is totally laughableā€

To a lesser extent at Holbox than Chichen Itza, anecdotally I consistently see blue collar workers from construction jobs, etc getting food at both places for lunch during their breaks. Thereā€™s nothing laughable about it.

What makes you think theyā€™re on lunch break from construction jobs? Those guys typically have short lunch breaks and eat what they brought from home or buy from food trucks on site, which donā€™t charge $5-8 per taco.

1 Like

No skin in this game. Personally, I think its crazy to spend $400 on a meal. But thatā€™s just me and I certainly make no judgement on those who do. After all, Iā€™m the same guy who values golf and is in the process of shelling out for a ritzy CC. Or others, who are definitely ā€œnormalā€ people who spend $400++++ to go to a sporting event or buy a purse / pair of shoes. Itā€™s like my wifeā€¦ she is the most thrifty person ever, but when she goes on vacation, she insists on staying at a really nice hotel or sheā€™d rather not go. And her point is I donā€™t buy purses, shoes, clothes, etc., so so what if I want to splurge on a hotel. To each their own!

9 Likes

Ummā€¦ because of what theyā€™re wearing lol. The two times I went, most were getting rice and beans platters not tacos if thatā€™s your gripe.

And if that other poster is really trying to compare Chichen Itza to this omakase placeā€¦ good luck with that debate lol. Chichen IS food for the people but we can discuss that in another thread if necessary. This is about $400 omakase.

ā€œPersonally, I think its crazy to spend $400 on a mealā€

Yup! That was my only point.

Iā€™m sure if I wrote the ^^ point though itā€™d be seen as judgmental around here even though that was never my intention and words were just inserted into my mouth lol.

Delete

Robert asked me a question so Iā€™m responding. Whatā€™s the problem?

Zero

Why, if they can afford it ?

I think itā€™s crazy to spend money on a private plane (compared to letā€™s say first class) as an example. Regardless it is just my opinion.

I guess on this board itā€™s odd to say that $400 is a lot to spend for a single meal, but ask 19 out of 20 people in everyday life and Iā€™d put money they would say the same. Just how I was raised! Congrats on being able to afford that for those who can.

Would it help at all to think of it as ā€œdinner and a showā€? With a bit of vacation and tutorial included. Iā€™m just curious about your perception of what a $400 omakase meal is actually like. Itā€™s about so much more than only the food, and if you look at the videos for Sushi Noz, youā€™ll see that this is precisely whatā€™s intended. When I go to Hayato, I know that Iā€™m going to be settling in for four hours of exquisite food and the best floor show in town; I will feel like Iā€™ve taken a welcome respite from the world in an unnameable other place and time; and after talking with Chef Go about the food and its preparation, I will leave knowing and appreciating more than when I came in. Now, my idea of a good time is idiosyncratic, and lots of people would rather buy tickets to see ā€œHamiltonā€ or a rock concert and have a modest dinner before or after, and Iā€™m not saying that one is going to spend $400/person for that, but Iā€™m trying to get across why there are people who think that $400 for a particular type of meal is money well spent, whether itā€™s once in a lifetime or once a month. And, FWIW, I do think Iā€™m crazy sometimes, spending that much money, LOL!! But sometimes I do it anyhow. :crazy_face:

14 Likes

The whole experience (youā€™re right happycat, itā€™s more of an experience than just a meal) at Hayato resonates so authentically to me that I feel that I ā€œgot my passport to Japan stampedā€ after every meal there. All this, without having to spend the bucks on airline tickets to actually go to Japan.

This leads to another point: There are lots of everyday people who used to commit a certain portion of their budget for vacations. But with travel restrictions during the pandemic, a significant portion of them are using up their travel funds by dining out locally instead (either more frequently and/or spending on higher-end meals)ā€¦ So thatā€™s an observation.

7 Likes

Itā€™s none of your fucking business, so keep your mouth shut.

ā€œItā€™s none of your fucking business, so keep your mouth shut.ā€

Whoa, easy there. I just quoted what fattydumplin said Robert. Isnā€™t that what this thread is about? Donā€™t need to get so personal and angry when weā€™re having a discussion amongst us, dang.

3 Likes