715 Sushi - Arts District

promising new omakase just opened in the arts district. the young chef, seigo tamura, is from osaka and started working at a sushi restaurant in orange county before doing private omakase dinners and take out during the pandemic. this is his first restaurant.

space and wood counter are beautiful and seats eight.

highlights
jiimamii tofu
sawara tataki
shin ika
kinmedai
aji
kamasu
uni rice
ohagi
anago

kegani croquette

jiimamii tofu okinawa style

amadai, renkon manju, ankake

sawara tataki, tosazu gelee, okra

sweet corn chawanmushi

saba bozushi

ezgif.com-gif-maker (54)

shin ika

tachiuo

kinmedai kobujime

aji

kamasu

ni hotate

tomato, olive oil, tea

isaki

madai, shishito

akami zuke

nodoguro

aka uni rice, bafun uni

ohagi - sushi sho style

anago

toro

kohada

kanpyo

ushio-jiru

fig, champagne jelly

19 Likes

Rice looks on point!

2 Likes

Beautiful photos! Love that rice texture.

2 Likes

The plating and the shari!

How does 715 stack up in the power rankings of sushi temples in the city?

4 Likes

Did you back his kickstarer?

1 Like

Going here saturday for my birthday din! Anyone have any reccos on an easily accessible sake bottle to snag and bring? I’m in culver but can go to a shop between here and DTLA or maybe swing by Ototo tmrw to grab.

1 Like

You might find this helpful.
http://www.kevineats.com/2022/11/715-sushi-los-angeles-ca.html

3 Likes

free corkage until they get their license.

3 Likes

Kevin’s review was quite glowing

Interesting. I went just after they opened, and one of the first things I noticed as he was prepping before the meal was that Chef Tamura’s knife skills needed a LOT of work. The dinner was fine, but I thought that $300 was way too pricey for the new kid on the block and that if he wanted to run with the big dogs, he’d better have the chops for it. Maybe he’s improved. I’ll be interested to hear input from somebody other than Kevin.

6 Likes

Interesting, I’ll be going in the next few weeks, will relay my experience.

1 Like

I’ll get back to yall after tomorrow with thoughts! We moved here only a year ago and have done sushi note a few times (my fav for the price point), Nozawa Bar, and Kenbey so far. Notes still my favorite, didn’t love kenbey, nozawa was good but looks like the menu is largely similar so I probably won’t go back.

What should be next on my hit list? (I usually only do the 200$+ ones on a birthday or anniversary)

3 Likes

Morihiro
Shunji
Kaneyoshi
Shin
Mori Sushi

8 Likes

Also sushi inaba and takeda

3 Likes

I agree, my dinner was fine, but I expected more at the 300pp level, I felt the same way about kogane. I still think there’s a lot of potential, but for now i would rather go to kaneyoshi.

8 Likes

What’s your opinion of Takeda? We’ve been very happy with the several dinners we’ve had (omakase at the sushi bar) but I thought the lunch wasn’t anything special (though I had it the day after dinner at Kaneyoshi and wasn’t hungry, so that may have been a factor).

1 Like

I love Takeda, and have followed Chef Hide since his days on Sawtelle. But their reservation system is supper annoying, with restricted times. Can’t get sushi omakase at the bar guaranteed. Signature omakase is at 6 or 8 pm. Corkage is expensive. However, that Iwashi maki at Takeda was my favorite bite of 2021.

1 Like

That’s illegal in California and can result in the licence application being denied.

We had a fantastic dinner here. Chefs brother was serving as Seigo was out of town. Hospitality was wonderful, but the rice texture was some of the best, I’d not the best I’ve had. Great assortment of fish. Only complaint was some of the composed dishes were a little rich to start but we dug it a lot. I wasn’t phased by the price based on the amount of food, the variety of fish served, the quality, and the originality of some of the dishes compared to some others I’ve had in LA.

1 Like

wait a minute, sergio wasn’t in the house?