715 Sushi - Arts District

His brother, who just came from Osaka a month or two ago who is going to be at the counter with Seigo was leading last night as Seigo was in Japan for what sounded like an emergency.

I can’t compare to Seigo but his brother (who had the servers translate for him so I missed his name) was better than everything I’ve had in LA so far (having noted I haven’t done too much here yet other than nozawa, note, Kenbey, and Matsumoto)

Enjoyed 715. For me, the nigiri was up there among the best I’ve had in LA, though I wish there were a few more pieces. The hot dishes were tasty but nothing as eye-opening. The ankimo was the highlight for me. I always want more nigiri and fewer hot dishes at high-end omakase. Would definitely recommend it for a great experience (oh, service was terrific).

Any thoughts on Shunji and Mori Sushi getting snubbed by both Michelin and LA Times?

1 Like

I think Shunji was likely the change in venue, but I haven’t been to the new one so I can’t say. Also unsure about Mori but what I can say is that I find the 101 has a few too many high-end sushi places on it and would rather see fewer to make room for other restaurants to better reflect the diversity of LA’s restaurant scene. But then again, I am not involved with either publication, so this is just pure speculation!

2 Likes

That was the consensus reasoning for omitting them last year but it’s been more than a year since they’ve moved.

1 Like

Is Mori eligible under its current business model?

Anyone can go to Mori, they just need you to make a reservation over the phone/text.

2 Likes

I’m very curious about this too. Shunji is one of the best Omakase stops for me, still!

Also… the best grey hair in town :two_hearts:

3 Likes

There are ten Japanese restaurants among Addison’s 101 and of those three are sushi places.

Right so pick two between hayato, n/naka, and morihiro. Still don’t think you need all three

The sushi places are Marohiro, Kaneyoshi, and Shin. Hayato and n/naka are kaiseki.

You think he didn’t need to put all three. Other people think three wasn’t enough. With only 101 slots total and only ten for Japanese Addison can’t please everybody.

2 Likes

I know he can’t please everybody. The three sushi places are expensive. The kaiseki places are inaccessible price wise. Just saying there’s quality Japanese and sushi out there that’s not expensive.

1 Like

The list is called the 101 Best Restaurants, not 101 most affordable restaurants, that’s a different list.

Kaiseki and first-rate sushi are expensive by nature, like Michelin-fu tasting menus.

Shin is like half the price of Morohiro and Kaneyoshi. Can you name a sushi place of similar quality that’s significantly cheaper than Shin?

Welcome to FTC!!!

1 Like

Dang. Everything is getting a solid price hike. I get it, but it hurts.

1 Like

$350?! I get he got a michelin star and all, but he’s already charging prices that are (I think?)
in the top 5 most expensive sushi meals in LA & he’s only been open for less than half a year.

That’s crazy, but good for him!

1 Like

Yikes. I’ll pass, thank you. Unless he’s improved significantly since soft opening (and for all I know, he has; I’ll never find out), his pricing is ridiculous. I guess if people want to pay it, good for him…I have Kaneyoshi and I have Takeda (which I think is overlooked) and that’s enough high-end sushi omakase near me to keep me happy!

3 Likes

I don’t doubt that those others will increase prices too, though? Note went up 25$, this 50$, Kato 100 in the past year nearly. Orsa and Winston now has the risotto has a 30$ supplement, all of the high end is gonna have its respective hike if they haven’t already