Affordable Omakase for a beginner?

Respectfully disagree. sugarFISH, while not top echelon, is acceptable sushi. For convenience, I get the Nozawa box “to go” for my office once or twice a month.

1 Like

i agree to disagree with you on this one.
gotta say i’m surprised that you find it acceptable.

we could argue again on how sushi to go is already below acceptable to those who can taste the difference, mainly because it would force everyone to acknowledge the shades on their own personal palate/palette.

while a newcomer will come in with their own biases, etc, with the right chef and an appropriate attitude, they can be educated and in the process refine their palate. i reached an omakase-type understanding early on with a chef i respected, and he kept serving me mirugai and i eventually developed such an appreciation for it over the years i got to a point when i told him i thought it was sub-par he wouldn’t charge me for it.

i’m pretty sure that sushi chefs who take pride in their craft are happier serving customers who know enough to appreciate their skill. but it’s still a business. that chef who wouldn’t serve a partcular cut of fish to a discerning customer may not hesitate to serve it to someone with a less refined palate as long as that customer thinks that they’re getting value. i firmly believe that the interaction between chef and customer (always sit at the bar) can have a large impact on the quality of the meal. i’ve accompanied friends to their favorite places, and even though it may be my first time there, my friends have noticed that by the 3rd or 4th order, i often get better cuts even when we order the same thing. some chefs profile their customers.

but everyone has their own palate and their own preferences and their own level of adaptability when it comes to observing the cultural niceties, so YMMV.

So what you’re saying is that everyone has their own palate and yours is markedly superior. Got it.

4 Likes

thank you Pomsmoms for recommending Chitose.
tried it for the first time tonight based on your rec.
for the price, it more than delivers.

actually, the point is that any disagreements on the parts of people offering advice are pretty much moot - it’s still up to the OP to evaluate whose suggestions reflect a viewpoint similar to his/her own.

as for your snark, feelings of inadequacy on your part say more about you than me.

2 Likes

Curiously, why would a sushi chef that YOU have “respect for” ever serve sub-par fish to you? (to the point where he wouldn’t charge you, cause he admits the fish is sub-par). Sub-par fish is easily discernible by any sushi chef with minimal experience. Perhaps the “respect” is not mutual?

1 Like

+1, I’m with @J_L on this …

1 Like

I think Sugarfish has good rice, but I’m not sure how it can survive the to go process. Surely it will get cold. Will it remain loose? Seems like something you have to do right then and there to really like it, if at all.

Agree. Usually the “to go” order is consumed/devoured/inhaled within 5 minutes once it reaches the office. I’ve never received a bad batch of sugarFISH sushi before (which is quite remarkable, given the scope of their operations and the amount of times my office uses them).

1 Like

I believe it was KTLA who first mentioned it in the thread, but glad you enjoyed it. I’m a longtime lurker who’s appreciated you from days and site of yore when/where you first championed Sergio. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you misread Barry’s post. He speaks the truth of many sushi chefs in LA and in Japan. His posts have been educational for all of us for years as was the one above.