Affordable Omakase for a beginner?

@Chowseeker1999, man the lunch special looks amazing. I hope to be able to go there one day but sadly I’m restricted by my other dining companions. ):

It’s true that the selection is fairly static and unadventurous. They do typically offer a special or two with the Trust Me and Nozawa, which is often scallop or engawa. The main reason I thought it would be fitting is that you’re looking for table service, the courses are paced (they bring you a few pieces at a time), and they do things like advise as to which pieces require soy, which don’t, etc. Not to mention for 40 dollars you get a lot of food.

Contrary to some of the dissenting voices, I find Sugarfish to be pretty damn tasty. It’s become a punching-bag among sushi connoisseurs recently because it’s a fast-expanding chain that took the notion of omakase and popularized it for the unschooled masses, not unlike Starbucks did with craft coffee. But the fact remains that the quality of the fish is good, the hot rice - while not my thing - does show attention to detail, and the value you get for your dollar is solid.

Would love to go for the experience, if I have time for a 3rd place I’ll check it out. Sounds good, but just isn’t what I’m looking for.

1 Like

You can also request for more than the regular Omakase. I have paid as much as $70 at Nozomi, this is after I told him to stop since I was getting rather full.

If you are looking for these more premium-type items, I think it may be worth looking into KTLA’s suggestion of Chitose in Redondo Beach. While not a true omakase in that the selections generally run the same whenever you go, they’re happy to serve the $45 special at the table, a few pieces at a time, and it usually includes uni, amaebi, hotate, an oyster, sometimes ankimo, but no toro. I believe they also have a $60 “premium” option, but not sure what exactly that entails. And they don’t have donburi but they do have broiled fish and tempura if you have a non-sushi eater in your party. Will it blow your mind? No, but it’s pretty good for the price. You can always refer to the pictorial reference site that starts with Y and ends in elp. :wink:

In my experience, I’m not sure Nozomi will encourage ordering anything other than omakase while taking up a spot at the bar, and as djquinnc noted, the bar experience and the table experience are completely different.

I’d still encourage OP to go to Kanpachi. I’ve been to chitose and I prefer kanpachi over the former. Never been to nozomi but it sounds like a good rec from everyone else.

You’ll def get amaebi, uni, clam or scallop and some less standard fish at kanpachi with your omakase, stuff you won’t get at your sugarfish

Leaning towards Kanpachi, seems like their omakase is more bang for the buck (14 pieces of nigiri, chawanmushi, ice cream, miso soup) vs. Nozomi (10 pieces + soup). Also saw akami zuke on Kanpachi omakase pictures, something I’ve never tried but want to. I read a few reviews on yelp about preferential treatment of Japanese customers, has that happened when you’ve gone?

@hungryhungryhippos @TonyC, does anyone have a picture of the menu at Kanpachi?

Will come down to location probably, depends where we are on the day we decide to go for omakase.

@NitWit, interesting update. I called Shunji’s for you and found out at Lunch, besides the awesome $40 combo (12 pieces of Sushi and Blue Crab Hand Roll and Miso Soup), they do offer Cooked Dishes at lunch for your other guests.

They mentioned they have various dishes featuring Steamed Fish, Grilled Fish, Wagyu Beef, Fried Soft Shell Crab, Tempura Roll and other stuff. And you can order Steamed Rice with that. Might be something to consider.

Or maybe call ahead of time and ask them more specifics and maybe even request some extra cooked items? Just a thought.

5 Likes

@NitWit Sorry I don’t, but here’s some pics from yelp?? Maybe these will help

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/kanpachi-gardena

definitely gonna do that, thanks!

+1 Very appropriate for the OP and table service.

Tall order to get “exotic” and to have a price cap. The most important for great sushi or any omakase is that your quality of fish is excellent. When I’m at the wholesale fish market in the wee hours of the morning, I still see Nozawa-san (Sugarfish) selecting all the fish. It’s a terrific QPR concept where you’re getting alot of quality for the $. There are specials at Sugarfish too. The halibut fin is often ordered and terrific. Uni too.

Ipse, don’t know how you do it, but I’d be hard pressed to get edomae omakase at Ichi for dinner at that price especially off the “board”. Can barely get out of there for that price with rolls! Would love to know your secret. Spill!

Not saying the quality isn’t good, but the trust me features only salmon, tuna, and white fish. I can go to a KazuNori for handrolls if I want.

Eat less.

Quality over quantity.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

2 Likes

I find the rolls at KazuNori and Sugarfish not at all alike despite their affiliation. More rice at KazuNori.

Words from the wise, sensei.

tonyC,
respectfully suggest that you are being too kind to sugarfish.
imho, it qualifies as being awful all the way around.