Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

Thanks @bulavinaka. I’ll give that tip a try for ordering full loaves.

It seems with each passing visit to Gjusta, I love it more and more.

One thing I forgot to mention last time is their great fresh salad & prepared foods case. I’ve really enjoyed their Haricot Vert Salads, Heirloom Tomato creations and a couple other salads over the past year.

Bialy Egg (Sesame Bialy, Arugula, Gruyere, Harissa Ketchup, Bacon):

Shout out to @PorkyBelly @wienermobile for the recommendation! I love their Egg Sandwich (one of my go-to’s), but thanks to PB and wienermobile, I tried their Bialy Egg today…

It’s crunchy from the toasting, yet has a nice doughy mouthfeel. The Arugula, crisped Bacon and slightly runny bright Sunny Side Up Egg all comes together and is perfect with the Harissa Ketchup. :smile:

Gjusta also serves sandwiches. Usually not a sandwich fan, as most “sandwiches” I get in most cities feels like a throwaway (throw some veggies, sliced meat, cheese on dry bread, done). But there are a few standout places I’ve found that change that notion. Mendocino Farms has a few sandwiches that are actually pretty solid and miles ahead of the typical “sandwich” in mainstream chains.

But Gjusta’s Tuna Conserva (Olive Bread, Caper Aioli, Roasted Peppers, Salted Cucumbers, Radish, Sprouts, Tapenade)

Is just STUPIDLY GOOD! Wow. :smile:

While it may look like a “Tuna Salad Sandwich” it’s like the most awesome, moist, crunchy, soft, PERFECT Tuna Sandwich I have ever had! :open_mouth: It is seriously THE best Tuna Sandwich I’ve ever had.

The Tuna Conserva has this luscious taste, and the textural contrast of crunchy, fresh-baked in-house Olive Bread, Roasted Peppers, the fresh, herbaly Sprouts and more… FTW. Another highlight of my weekend, but not topping the Live Uni Udon at Raku. :wink:

Ordered a Fish Plate (Small) to try out more of their uber House-smoked Seafood:

Love their condiments and amazing house-baked bread:

First up, Hot-Smoked King Mackerel:

There’s a lush, juicy quality, and the King Mackerel is cooked perfectly. Tender, flaky, and not too salty at all. Paired perfectly with the Heirloom Tomatoes. :smile:

Cold-Smoked Lox:

Beautiful, super tender, lightly salted. Amazing as always.

Smoked Salmon Collar:

Thanks to @PorkyBelly @wienermobile and many others for this rec! Just look at the Smoked Salmon Collar! Gorgeous, and the taste? Matched the visuals. :wink: Subtle smokiness, lightly salted, delicate.

Smoked Salmon Belly:

I’ve enjoyed just about all the Smoked Fish from Gjusta in all my visits, but the Smoked Salmon Belly is just RIDICULOUS! So tender, LUSCIOUS, delicate and just perfect with a bit of the fresh-baked bread and some Red Onion slices, or some Heirloom Tomatoes, or by itself. :smile: Another highlight of my weekend! :heart:

Gjusta has probably the best smoked fish offerings I’ve had in LA/OC. Blows away Wexler’s by a long shot. And their breakfast / brunch menu is always so good. :smile:

Gjusta
320 Sunset Ave.
Venice, CA 90291
Tel: (310) 314-0320

7 Likes

Question: what is the seating like? My recollection from very early reports is that seating was essentially non-existent. Has this changed? I want to go w/ my partner, and he’s not as willing to sit on crates as I am… :frowning:

@paranoidgarliclover seating is better now. No more milk crates, but it’s still limited:

They have a new outdoor (covered) patio area with cushioned lounge seating and small outdoor tables.

They also have a huge L-shaped Marble Bar (standing), where you can stand an eat (which actually isn’t as uncomfortable as it sounds). So perhaps get there, decide what to order, and one of you goes to the back patio area and scouts a table while the other orders, or just wait for a table to clear.

Also depending on time of day, it’s easier to get a table with no wait.

If they ever had a full indoor seating area (like a traditional restaurant), Gjusta would be out of control.

1 Like

I was at Gjusta Saturday AM “by default.” Was aiming for Blue Star but had a line of about 15-20 people before their opening so I kept going. I grabbed a large smoked fish plate, some flatbreads (mushroom/caramelized onions; bacon), scones, biscuits and some condiments in the case against the wall. I also got a bread that is new to me - hemp seed and nori loaf - nice bread. The moisture content seems higher too.

The various smoked seafood items were great as usual, but I think the mackeral and sardines are now my favorites. The strong flavors of these fishes meld perfectly for me with the respective preparations. The octopus escabeche flavors were fine but the texture was too soft for me.

2 Likes

Most of Gjusta’s food travels well.

1 Like

Great photos…you made me so hungry!!!

I loved the lox, the mackerel and the sardines but I haven’t tried everything yet….to be continued.

Nori??? Does it add a vague umami flavor to the bread?

That could be it. The change is very subtle when sliced and eaten straight up. If it’s slightly toasted, the flavor and aroma of the nori becomes more obvious. I like it better this way. Haven’t tried brushing olive oil or butter on it and putting it on the skillet or grilling it. There’s not much nori in the bread - one can see little flecks - smaller than what one finds in furikake.

Haven’t tried brushing olive oil or butter on it and putting it on the skillet or grilling it.<<

Just FYI - when you get bread along with an order, the bread is usually brushed with olive oil and slightly griddled. The dish of bread samples that are usually on the display case by the door is straight from the loaf. They have a small dish of olive oil by it that you can dip the bread in.

Thanks @bulavinaka. I saw the Hemp Seed & Nori Bread this morning! I was wondering if it would be any good (how could it not? LOL). Darn, now I’m slapping myself for not buying a loaf, hearing your thoughts. :smile:

Next time.

@wienermobile and all,

Has anyone tried their Smoked Brisket?

Also since they were so amazing with their Tuna Conserva Sandwich on the last visit, I’m now curious about their other sandwiches. Anyone try their Banh Mi Sandwich?

TIA!

Bread samples??? That’s all I needed to hear… :smile:

I’ve had their Porshetta Melt, Pastrami Rueben and Chicken Parm. All Wonderful

4 Likes

I really like their roast turkey sandwich on baguette. With the turkey gravy jus on the side for dipping. Just turkey and bread. No veggies. Simply fucking perfect.

Their fish plates are good.

The tuna conserva while
Somewhat tasty for one bite just didn’t do it for me.

Their cappachinos are great.

Their falafel sandwich is good too.

And I really like their chcolate cake, carrot cake, strawberry rhubarb pie. But their banana cream pie is just ok.

And sometimes I get that second hit of coffee.

2 Likes

Awesome @kevin. I’ve been hoping to find a great Roast Turkey. Can’t wait. :smile: Thanks for the rec.

And the Carrot Cake also! I’ve seen that so many times… never ordered it yet.

Jumping on the Gjusta bandwagon. Had a wonderful snack this afternoon, ordered the fish platter - opted for the smoked salmon belly, gravlax & pastrami Salmon, oil cured mackerel. All were very good, highlights for me were salmon belly and pastrami, terrific stuff.

However the little platter of garnishes sold me. Wonderful accompaniment of pickles, thinly sliced onions and most unexpected of all - slices of sweet ripe tomatoes with a lite pinch of sea salt. It’s all about the little details. Just perfect!

To top it all off, service was surprisingly friendly and attentive in a good hipster sorts.

6 Likes

Glad you liked it @Sgee! :smile: Love their smoked fish plate. And I agree with you about the condiments / side plate of garnishes. Just awesome.

It’s obvious that Gjusta thought through the whole experience on this. Even the bread they include gets special treatment - grilled with some olive oil just enough to warm it through.

1 Like