Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

Gjusta’s smoked brisket is usually outstanding (though once it was a little on the dry side). Until Maple Block opened, it was easily the best on the Westside (low bar tho).

Love the porchetta melt and chicken parm. Not such a fan of their pastrami, though. Wish it were sliced a little thicker. Does anyone know if you can specify the thickness?

They will slice it if you ask. I always get it sliced.

Update 3:

We had planned to go some place else, but @CiaoBob just had to go and tempt me with his last visit, so we found ourselves back at Gjusta again. :smile:

Blackberry Danish:

Visually arresting, their Blackberry Danish was just OK. It wasn’t overly sweet, but there was a bit of a tartness to it that made it less appealing.

Scone:

I’m no Scone expert, but I thought it was good.

Their salad / deli case keeps tempting me every time I visit. So beautiful and so tasty. :laughing:

Porchetta Butcher (Baguette, Pesto, Horseradish):

Their Porchetta is pretty awesome, but something I can’t have too often, LOL. Tender, fatty, pork goodness.

Smoked Brisket Butcher (Baguette, Natural Jus):

This is a pretty epic sandwich. Great smokiness, tender Brisket, although a bit too salty. Otherwise, pretty great Brisket Sandwich. Thanks @Bigmouth :smile:

Chicken, Cabbage & Dumpling Soup:

You would think that with a breakfast / bakery specialty (and smoked fish!) that their Chicken Soup might be a throwaway item.

Nope.

Gjusta continues to deliver: This is a fantastic Homemade Chicken Soup. Light, not too salty, warming, wonderful! The Cabbage, Chicken and Dumplings all make this a perfect soup for the oncoming Winter. Seriously, one of the best Chicken Soups I’ve had in a while. :heart:

Chickpea Salad with Green Chermoula Dressing:

Another winner from their salad case: Just perfectly cooked Chickpeas, and an incredible Green Chermoula Dressing! It’s exotic, interesting and grabs your attention. Delish! :smile:

Cauliflower & Dandelion Salad:

Yet another great salad! The Cauliflower is tender and balanced with the Dandelion Greens and White Wine Vinaigrette. Not too salty or tart; just a balanced, wonderful salad! :smile:

Pork & Green Chile Hand Pie:

Besides looking sexy, I’ve been avoiding deli case hand pies and empanadas ever since being burned by salt overload that is Whole Foods’ offerings in their salad deli case. I’ve seen it so often at Gjusta, but never order any of them.

I’m glad I took a chance today. :smile: Flaky crust gives way to tender, gorgeous Stewed Pork and a pretty awesome Green Chile sauce. It’s not very spicy, and just pure WIN. :smile:

Prime Rib Butcher (Baguette, Horseradish):

And the reason I found myself back here: Thanks to @CiaoBob’s weekend report about the Prime Rib Sandwich, it was like this gnawing curiosity that somehow drove me back to Gjusta, LOL! :laughing:

But seriously, Gjusta’s Prime Rib Sandwich is made up of layers of thinly sliced, perfectly cooked Prime Rib. It’s super tender, luscious and melts in your mouth! The freshly grated Horseradish is perfect. Seriously one of the best Prime Rib Sandwiches I’ve ever had! :heart:

One regret we had: As we were leaving, I remembered @bulavinaka’s recommendation for their fresh-baked Nori Bread. :frowning: I keep forgetting to buy a loaf. Next time for sure! :smile:

Thinking about it, it never ceases to amaze me just how good Gjusta can be. You’d think there’s no way a restaurant should be able to excel at Baked Goods (their fresh-baked Bread ROCKS), their Breakfast items are awesome (Egg Sandwich and Bialy Egg, etc.), their Smoked Fish selections are the best I’ve ever had in the city, their Salads (changes daily) are always enjoyable, and their Lunch Sandwiches turn out to be pretty fantastic!

Really enjoyed our trip this weekend. Thanks @CiaoBob and everyone for the sandwich recommendations! :smile:

Gjusta
320 Sunset Ave.
Venice, CA 90291
Tel: (310) 314-0320

7 Likes

Seriously, how the heck do you pack away all the food you eat??? :wink: Great report and photos. Gotta get to the place and/or Lodge…

A brisket butcher was one of the first things I ever had at Gjusta…blew me away. It doesn’t need a “for the West Side” qualifier. I actually still haven’t made it to Maple Block, but I would say the brisket I had at Gjusta was better than any brisket I’ve had anywhere else in California. I think people are just too stunned at the possibility of a place like Gjusta having seriously that good of brisket, and can’t quite bring themselves to say it out loud. Like it’s literally so good that it’s taboo lol

2 Likes

True. At first I wasn’t sure about Gjusta, but as I keep going back, I actually have come to feel they are the deserving of their accolades. I am not sure I’ve really eaten anywhere better in a while.

1 Like

The porchetta melt looks overwhelming in terms of ingredients. The butcher is very pleasant.

Does the melt actually work? How does all the cheese and rapini work with the porchetta exactly?

Cons: it looks like a mess. It falls apart
Pros: it tastes increadable

1 Like

you had all of those sandwiches and dishes on your own-some on one fucking sitting ???

it seemingly defies gravity.

my kudos to you.

1 Like

OMG, sooo good!

To be clear, my Westside qualifier wasn’t a commentary on the quality of the brisket at Gjusta. More acknowledgment that, until recently, the best brisket in LA besides Gjusta was at places like Bludso’s in Compton and Big Mista’s in Long Beach.

That said… get thee to Maple Block NOW. It’s on another level imo. Outstanding spare ribs, too.

@paranoidgarliclover you haven’t been to Gjusta yet?! You gotta check it out at least once. :wink:

@kevin hah, luckily my friends enjoy Gjusta as much as I do.

BTW, have you tried their Prime Rib Butcher Sandwich yet? I thought that’d be one for sure you’d try (it’s SO good!). Shout out to @CiaoBob again for the rec. :slight_smile:

Glad you tried it and greatly improved on my crappy images of the thing!

Does anyone have insight into the name “Butcher”, instead of sandwich, hero, hoagie, grinder, roll, sub or submarine?

As you can see from the clip off the menu, the pastrami is a sandwich but the brisket, turkey and prime rib are “butchers.” This is a neologism to me.

Turkey Butcher - baguette, natural jus 13
Smoked Brisket Butcher - baguette, natural jus 15
Prime Rib Butcher - baguette, horseradish 16
Porchetta Butcher - baguette, pesto, horseradish 15
Cheese Burger - seeded pain de mie bun, gruyere,
smoked tomato, arugula, pickles, aioli 15
Pastrami Sandwich - pumpernickel, pastrami, mustard 15

1 Like

the bread might be the fucking tip=off.

or the others have the crucial “au jus” ???

though I haven’t got the foggiest fucking clue what a neologisnm is.

I really like their turkey sandwich on the bagette with the turkey juice dipping sauce ont eh sie.

noun
a new word, meaning, usage, or phrase.
the introduction or use of new words or new senses of existing words.[THIS IS WHAT I MEANT]
a new doctrine, especially a new interpretation of sacred writings.
Psychiatry. a new word, often consisting of a combination of other words, that is understood only by the speaker: occurring most often in the speech of schizophrenics. [BUT THIS MAY PERTAIN MORE TO YOUR SPECIFIC NEOLOGISMS]

1 Like

Alas, I have not. =( But the recent reviews + pics have me VERY interested… :smile: