And Now, A Few Words from KevinEats

@kevin never used his stoner contumely in serious reviews.

kevinEats is one of my favorite restaurant blogs. He posts regularly, covers most of the menu, takes good pictures and posts detailed descriptions. While we can take issue with some of his verbiage, I find his contributions to be entertaining and consistent.

4 Likes

I do not disagree.

K.eats is a treasure to blogging and a curse to writing.

I love - and I hate - his blog.

Love the pics, love the comprehensiveness, love the collated minutiae of chefs and owners previous (and. generally, failed) previous efforts, love the over-ordering (just to be thorough), love the highbrow/low brow/no brow egalitarianism of his restaurant choices, and I truly Love, LOVE, LOVE the beer.

But the writing is an abomination. He can do better. I know it -and he does too.

4 Likes

Link to his blog?

http://www.kevineats.com/

Voilà:

2 Likes

Let’s hope that kevin, or even kevineats, applies for the new reviewing job at LA Weekly!

2 Likes

You’re such a tease.
http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/la-weekly-restaurant-critic-besha-rodell-says-goodbye-to-the-best-job-in-the-world-8664036

2 Likes

That’s more the kind of gig where they call you. And you’re a James Beard winner.

I happen to know both kevineats and our favorite festive four-lettered food friend kevin. And let me be the first to assure you that they are indeed two quite different people in real life.

1 Like

charles darwin:
you are getting your kevins mixed up.

No more:
F-guy = Kevin Gabbay

4 Likes

“This one smelled super sour, with a citrusy, almost urinal cake-like element.“
Love it.

1 Like

He may have had no control over this but the visual composition made me look away.

He is PEErless in his use of the scatological vernacular. If ShakesPEEre were still alive, he’d WASTE no time in lauding him (“Urine the big leagues now…”)

1 Like

Sushi was so bad, I had to wash the taste away with Calpis.

You guys do realize that @kevinEats is, um, a member of FTC, right?

There’s also the realization that usage of the words “urinal cake-like” by any author in any food writing must be addressed by the local peanut gallery as well.

4 Likes

I did not know this, but if so, I say:

Dear @kevinEats, I enjoy your food photo skills very much. I also admire your willingness to try all manner of crazy mixologist concoctions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have heard tell of that but he never admits to it, either here or on the blog.
And:
a) So what? If he blogs, he has to expect others to comment on his blog. One would hope he can take a joke and accept some constructive criticism of his (appalling but improving, IMHO) prose.

b) Why does he need you to stick up for him. MYOB, I say. We are having some fun, making some valid points (all in the service of food, food writing and restaurants in LA) and – I for one – don’t need or appreciate your policing on behalf of KE.

1 Like