Animal 🐖

What an overwritten amateurish piece of shit excuse for a review. :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop:

I have a few reports backed up in the queue, but moved this one to the top @PorkyBelly. :wink:

Ricotta Gnudi, English Peas, Butter

Fluffy, pillowy, goodness, and with the buttered peas… I will get this every time it’s on the menu. :hearts:

Chicken Liver Toast

I missed you so much and I :hearts: your new brioche toast.

Chicken Tsukune + Ma la Vinaigrette

Juicy! I might :hearts: these more than Aburiya Raku’s. RIP.

BBQ Pork Belly Sandwich & Slaw

No longer two for $18, now one for $12. Price/portion change aside it’s still tender fatty deliciousness. Maybe a tad overcooked this visit, but they were just getting back in stride. I give them a pass. It belongs on a Best Sandwich list! :blush:

Hamachi Tostada 3.0, Fish Sauce Vinaigrette, Peanut, Avocado

Perfect balance of EVERYTHING! So good! :hearts:

Strawberry Tres Leches Cake

LOVE! I haven’t enjoyed a dessert at Animal this much since the 1st year when they did a perfect panna cotta.

Imbibing…

We put the Cellador Chenille Cherry with apple cider & sour cherry notes in the sour beer category. Our server rec’d Where’s Linus?, Sauvignon Blanc as a by the glass choice and a dry, herbal Dewazakura “10th Degree” Ginjo.

Must note that Animal’s bartender is more generous than Son of a Gun’s. Note this sake pour.

It was only 2 of us and being our first time back in years we ordered classic favorites and a few new bonafide FTC hits. This sadly left off the once mouth watering Chicken Oyster Yakitori. :cry: Will do another time.

Service was great and we were pleasantly unsurprised to see familiar faces. Our happily congenial waiter said he was one of only two new FOH employees.

Welcome Back, Animal! :hugs:

13 Likes

I can taste that hamachi tostada in the back of my mouth! I need to get over there sometime soon.

1 Like

Let’s!

1 Like
3 Likes

Agree - went to reopened animal last night and it was fantastic.
Cooking seemed reinvigorated from the long closure.

– Piri Piri Wings - tiny but really tasty.
[You want to know how tiny? They cut the “flats” into two pieces – to make 1/2 of a wing into 1/4! Never saw that parlor trick before. I know restaurants need to make money, and rising costs will lead to smaller portions and/or rising price per dish, but this was something else.]

– BBQ Pork Belly Slider

– Soft Shell Crab, very pricey at 39 bucks for one big crab, but beautifully fresh and fried and came with a wonderful green curry sauce

– Sweetbreads/Hen O’ Woods/Spinach

8 Likes

What have people been tipping here? The usual 15-20% to go along with the additional 20%??

1 Like

It’s part of the new cruelty.

2 Likes
2 Likes

And a bonus all time favorite scene.

3 Likes

You can have the chicken.

2 Likes

Love that movie!

3 Likes

what are the must orders here?

tostada, tsukune, chicken liver toast, pokrk belly sandwich?

anything else?

2 Likes

gnudi
boniato yam
tres leches

3 Likes

animal x avi cue
@TheCookie review forthcoming?

4 Likes

I wish! Loved the pop-up at Antico in ‘20. We’ve got plans. Someone go and report back please! :yum:

3 Likes

Had a really solid meal here last night. Place was half-full, which made for some really pleasant vibes. Lol don’t order the chicken wings they are stupidly small. Like short circuit your brain from a QPR standpoint small.

5 Likes

philly hoagies from pizzeria beddia coming to animal 5/20

7 Likes

Is it possible to have 2 lunches in one day?

I’ve already made plans elsewhere in the city.

5 Likes

Damn it I’ll be in San Francisco that weekend.

Philadelphia is the sandwich capital in the US (I love you NY but Philly has you beat). The Hoagies! Never had Beddia’s hoagie bar but I had all the big names in South Philly. Beddia’s pizza and tomato pie is wonderful I assume the same care is given to their hoagies.

1 Like