Animal 🐖

Beddia pizza and sandwiches are amazing. Fish town is a cool spot.

Fish Town is very LA Art Districty. Still keep your wits and be alert because it borders Kensington.

Suraya is also freakin good. Never got to Laser Wolf both Phila and BK.

there will be water ice

3 Likes

If you move your first lunch to the early side (11:30) you can go to Animal at 2:30/3. Lunch followed up by Lunner is totally cool.

1 Like

Team Lemon Water Ice.

1 Like

It’s sold-out. Now I don’t have to feel bad about already having plans that day. Whoever goes please report back!

1 Like

they said they take walk ins.

2 Likes

When they did this for Avi Cue of Hanukkah they did the same thing–was actually easier to walk up and get it to go than wait for a table.

2 Likes

Still can’t make it. :smirk: Have a thing in MDR then a music festival in Altadena. Longgg day.

more tickets released

1 Like

www.animalrestaurant.com/service-charge

2 Likes

wish they would elaborate more on that…

4 Likes

One thing that is not clear is whether the service charge helps get all their workers to their minimum wage requirement or if they are paid in excess of minimum wage with the service charges added because if it’s the former then that is super lame, the writing is basically all pr bullshit, and they are truly passing all their costs onto the customer.

Won’t be going to any JV restaurants until that is more clear.

2 Likes

They also conveniently elide that a service charge allows them to pocket a percentage.

2 Likes

favorites were veggie hoagie and strawberry water ice

cantabrian anchovies

eggplant, rabe, red peppers, portobello, provolone, sesame mayo

mortadella, capicola, provolone, Ito, cherry peppers

strawberry water ice with cream

lemon water ice with cream

10 Likes

Who does the service charge go to?

The service charge goes to our entire staff: including servers, bussers, dishwashers, cooks, sous chefs, drivers, farmer’s market team, bakers, dough rollers, etc.

Notice they don’t say all the service charge goes to the entire staff, technically their statement is true as long as all those people benefit from it (and they certainly don’t have to benefit equally). Nothing they say suggests all of that charge is spent on staff, although I suppose labor cost is high enough that they probably spend more than 18% of revenue on staffing. It just seems like a way to make a really confusing price increase from the consumer’s perspective.

Contrast with the wording at Pasjoli which is much clearer: “We add a 15% service charge to your bill that is fully distributed to our hourly employees to equalize wages between our front- and back-of-house teams.” Sadly looks like their service included pricing didn’t work out. Although it really looks like they just kept the pricing the same and then tacked on a 15% service charge on the bill.

4 Likes

suggested tips

3 Likes

I love semolina rolls.

2 Likes

@robert don’t wanna misinterpret, what’s your point?

@boourns yes! Also don’t think I’m some crazy paranoiac to not take any of these statements at face value.