Animal 🐖

So are they expecting that everybody pays the automatic 18% and than adds some additional 15% as tip ? - I understand the desire to have decent wages in the restaurant business but there is also a level of cost for the customer where people will avoid going to restaurants (which ultimately will lead to accelerate restaurant closures)

No. They expect would like you to take the 18% and then add another 22%

3 Likes

So if we take the 12$ liver toast and do the extended math it’s 12+ (9%) sales tax 1.08+ (18%) service fee 2.16 + (22%) tip 2.64 = 17.88 actual cost. Does that sound correct?

3 Likes

Paging @Nemroz

3 Likes

I’m not paying a regular-sized tip on top of a 15-20% service charge.

My assumption is they’re expecting that customers will think that the service charge goes 100% to staff on top of their wages, as is often the case at places with 15-20% service charges.

That was my assumption when I ate at Jon & Vinny’s last year. I added a few percent to bring it up to what I would have tipped if there had not been a service charge.

4 Likes

As a customer, I do not care what they do with the money they get as tips or service charges. I usually will pay 20% of the total bill (that is total after taxes, even the ridiculous health fee sometimes) and move on.
No way I am going to add anything on top of 20%. If the service charge is included, I will consider it to be the tip and add nothing on top of it. If the service is outstanding, I might give $20 in cash to the server.

3 Likes

somewhat tangentally related, heard from workers at Cookbook markets, which Jon & Vinny group bought in 2020, that the first thing they did was to remove the essential worker pay.

4 Likes

I thought it was strange that the verbage on the bill reads

If you choose to leave a gratuity, the suggested tip amounts go directly to our hourly staff working today.

but when we got our copy to sign there were no suggested tips :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

the poutine thickens…

4 Likes

hamachi tostada 3.0, fish sauce vinaigrette, peanut, avocado

:rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2:

(new) cheese toasty, cress

:rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2:

(new) ricotta gnudi, english peas, butter

(new) chicken tsukune, ma la vinaigrette

chicken oyster yakitori, smoked paprika, crème fraiche

:rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2:

roasted bone marrow, chimichurri

sweetbreads, spinach, hen of the woods, caper brown butter

braised rabbit, vin jaune, mushroom, irish champ

poutine, oxtail gravy, cheddar

(new):grilled leg of lamb, aji panca, fara, marinated kale

flourless chocolate cake, cherry, soft cream

tres leches, strawberry

the best dessert at animal.

11 Likes

What an overwritten amateurish piece of shit excuse for a review. :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: