Animal šŸ–

Theyā€™re sort of saying that all the money goes to staff.

But if some of that is in the form of wages, then effectively itā€™s going into the ownersā€™ pockets. Who knows exactly where the service charge goes since despite all the verbiage they donā€™t really say.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Iā€™d been waiting for them to bring back their brunchā€¦ best wafflesā€¦ best tres leches. Between those two (more the waffle), this is devastating to me.

1 Like

Find out where that chef is now.

Never got to try them

I believe they had the same Tres Leches as Trois Familia. If thatā€™s the case then itā€™s closely based on Alton Brownā€™s recipe if you want to try and make it.

feels like the end of an era of LA foodā€¦
sad to see theyā€™re already paring back their menuā€¦

3 Likes

I totally disagree with the characterizations Eater pulled from a few critics. Animal was the most inventive restaurant in LA in its heyday and the outrageous decadence was also coupled with deliciously inventive seasonal vegetable dishes. :smirk: Eater.

11 Likes

the first time i tried the foie maple biscuit was at about 9:45pm at the end of a 5-meal day. didnā€™t feel physically capable of eating a single thing anymore, but that dish was so effing delicious i ended up finishing the whole thingā€¦ not many dishes seared into memory so vividly as that one

6 Likes

I just snagged a reservation tonight at 8:30 PM from a cancelation. Iā€™m tired and would rather stay home, but this may be my last shot before it closes. Iā€™ve never been. Should I go?

1 Like

Iā€™m glad I went twice. Very memorable meals and lots of dishes not like anything Iā€™ve had elsewhere.

1 Like

I truly believe that ridiculous service charge that specifically said was not a tip is what closed this down. Itā€™s bullshit like that that sours people on an experience that should end on a positive note.

I went twice and the last time despite it being good-ish did not make me inclined to go back given it was not spectacular and had the charge. Iā€™m sure it was the same for most people

5 Likes

I believe Jon & Vinnyā€™s has the same 18% service charge thatā€™s specifically not a tip. So I donā€™t think thatā€™s what closed this place down.

3 Likes

I have not been to Animal for many years, but back in the day we used to love the place and went frequently!
That Loco Moco dish with egg/foie/spam/beef/rice was so memorable!

1 Like

Thereā€™s no way, I just donā€™t think they recovered after the reopen and generating enough buzz to drive people back.

Has the place not been as packed as it used to be? If itā€™s still been full then the service charge had nothing to do with it.

I canā€™t imagine a significant amount of diners over analyze and dissect a service charge as much as members of a food forum do. It was definitely not full, most times were avialble for resys during prime times/weekends.

Many restaurants have the automatic 18% service chargeā€¦ I canā€™t think of another restaurant that goes out of their way to say it is in NO WAY a tip for the waiters etc

Most in fact say that the 18% goes to the waiters, kitchen staff, etc and there is no need to tip extra unless you think the service was exemplary. Animal did the exact opposite, a slap in the face to customers

2 Likes

the place was rarely full when I wentā€¦ I do recall many reviews on everyoneā€™s favorite site complaining about the service charge too.

Just with how human nature is, always want to leave the customer on a high at the end of a meal. Not sour and bitching and making us feel bad for not tipping 40% or whateverā€¦

2 Likes

Tsubaki, Kato, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more. Iā€™m one and done for any such restaurant. Have not been back to Animal.

3 Likes