Animal 🐖

Kato staff told me its not a tip, but does go to the back of house + FOH to increase their wages

…so essentially it is a tip?

1 Like

Yeah if restaurants want to disburse wages in a different manner that’s up to the restaurant but I think it’s ridiculous to expect a diner to pay a 40% premium to subsidize a business.

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re listening to what i’m saying. Jon & Vinny’s does the same thing. 18% service charge that they specifically say is not a tip.

No. Tips go directly to the employees on top of their wages.

1 Like

so if Kato’s service charge helps to increase their wages, it’s obviously worth it to their employees
because they’re staying working at Kato rather than looking for another restaurant to work at right?

I don’t know anyone who tips an additional ~ 20% on top of a 18% service charge. I don’t think any restaurant that does this expects people to do that, but surely they won’t correct you if you do…

If service was good, I’ll maybe add another 2-3% on top. I just don’t believe anyone at the FOH or BOH would continue working at places that implement this kind of thing vs quitting to go work at a restaurant that most people would tip 20% if it wasn’t worth it for them.

then stop adding another f’n gratuity line to the check

3 Likes

A meal at Kato is $275. Most restaurants in that price range have service charges and don’t expect tips as well. From their menu:

An 18% service charge will be added to your bill to provide comprehensive benefits, as well as a consistent livable wage for both our service and culinary teams. Though many of our guests choose to leave gratuity for exemplary service, it is neither necessary nor expected, though it is greatly appreciated. This gratuity will be shared by the service and culinary teams.

I usually tip 20% so I’d typically tip 2% with an 18% service charge.

That’s not comparable to Jon & Vinny restaurants.

1 Like

That’s not comparable to Jon & Vinny restaurants.

anyone charging an 18% service fee and putting a gratuity line on the bill is subject to comparison. just pay your damn staff a living wage and don’t bother me with this bullshit.

2 Likes

Some customers complain if there’s no tip line.

Telling people no tip is necessary or required after an 18% service charge on a $275 tasting menu is nothing like Jon & Vinny’s practice of letting staff push for a 15-20% tip on top of it.

1 Like

my guy if you want to cite webpages, compare these 2 and tell me how they are different.

Kato

An 18% service charge will be added to your bill to provide comprehensive benefits, as well as a consistent livable wage for both our service and culinary teams. Though many of our guests choose to leave gratuity for exemplary service, it is neither necessary nor expected, though it is greatly appreciated. This gratuity will be shared by the service and culinary teams.

J&V

What About Tips?

• If customers have exceptional service, we encourage them to tip our employees at the percentage or amount they feel comfortable with.

Who does the service charge go to?

• The service charge goes to our entire staff: including servers, bussers, dishwashers, cooks, sous chefs, drivers, farmer’s market team, bakers, dough rollers, etc.

Is the service charge a tip?

• No, the service charge is not a tip or gratuity, it is an added fee that is controlled by the restaurant (see why above).
1 Like

Kato says explicitly that no tip is expected or required. J&V restaurants do not, and allow staff to push customers for regular-sized tips.

2 Likes

seemed to me like the restaurant was already starting to slow a bit creatively prior to the pandemic, and then the extremely long pandemic closure just knocked the rest of the air out and it was just running on autopilot over the last year-ish. also looks like jon and vinny haved moved on to a different chapter of their lives and without a successor to hand it off to, the restaurant has sort of run its natural course…

4 Likes

You’re seriously acting as if Animal OR Jon and Vinny’s is similar in meal experience to Kato? Kato is a tasting menu that is top 2-3 in LA. Animal and Jon and Vinny’s are lesser restaurants saying the waiters will get 0 because our food is worth a 40% tip.

if I had a meal at Hayato, Kato, Providence etc and they ended the meal with, “You are being charged 18% however none if it going to the staff”

How does that make you feel?

Let this be a lesson that Animal messed up and ruined their great food with poor customer service, the main reason they closed

I’m maintaining this policy is not the main reason they closed. If confusion and ire over a tip policy that can easily be navigated by just asking “hey am I meant to tip on top of this? we good?” (which, usually when I’ve asked at J&V, animal, Kato) they say “some people add a little more to make it 20% but that’s up to you” is what caused them to falter, they would’ve adjusted it.

also it literally says “any ADDITIONAL TIPS for exceptional service” these restaurants add the 18% charge to pay their staff a living wage rather than the tipped minimum.

People just weren’t going. It reopened to very little fanfare, sadly no one’s in the mood for Offal and can’t see past the heavy dishes to see themselves eating there.

Lord.

1 Like

Servers at J&V restaurants have been asking for a regular 15-20% tip on top of the 18% service charge.

Why would that have changed? I don’t think any of the Animal fans here have gone vegan.

2 Likes

Right, but just because you locate the chef doesn’t mean they’ll be making the same dish (particularly if it’s a brunch item) :sob:

Maybe it’s jsut the location I go to (slauson) but for the past 4 times they’ve never done that to us.

And again, animal was closed for a while, I’m sure some regulars came back, but I don’t think LA is trending towards offal as much as to more and more italian restaurants to attract a new audience after the lull.

Again if the restaurant could’ve stayed open by abolishing that policy, I’m sure they would’ve. It ran its course. If it’ll make you feel better to think it closed because of their tipping policy then go for it!

tricky part of town to get to, as well. Back when it had all the hype in the world, you were going to fill the room with people willing to go to a top ten resto in the city. But back when I went in the fall/winter, it was empty. FWIW i had a very good meal.

1 Like

No harder than it ever was, and Jon & Vinny’s right across the street books up at prime time